Chapter 3

Hey! So here's another chapter for you lovely people!

I know this story is a bit slow burning but trust me, it will all be worth the wait.

Things start getting pretty interesting from here out ;)

No warnings.

Bad language

Enjoy! xxx

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooooxxxxxxxxx

The next day, Levi called Illyria into his office to discuss the event in a bit more detail. She was full of questions, which irritated him greatly.

“Do I need to dress up?”

“No, uniform is fine.”

“What? What sort of party is this?!” she exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air and slouching in the armchair. Levi frowned at her childish behaviour.

“It’s not a party, brat, it’s a social event.”

“What’s the difference?” she asked, cocking her head to the side. Levi grit his teeth, continuing with his information.

Once Levi had told Illyria all she had to know, he looked at her.

“Right, now you can ask any other questions you have.” He said, indicating it was her turn to talk. She nodded slowly.

“Okay. You said the Commander, Hanji and Miche will be coming too right? Who are they bringing as their date?” Levi reached for his cup of tea, fingers delicately gripping the rim of the cup.

“I believe Erwin is taking Historia, Hanji is taking Armin and Miche is taking Petra.” Illyria blinked.

“Those are some really weird partners... I mean the height difference alone between the commander and Historia is laughable.” She commented offhandedly, causing the captains eyes to narrow considerably.

“It’s not about whether they will make a good partner or not, Light. It’s about taking someone who can behave.” Illyria looked thoughtful for a moment and so he continued, sighing at her incompetence.

“Historia is a royal, therefore she knows how to behave. Armin avoids confrontation like the plague and, despite his friends, is well mannered. Petra keeps to herself so will be no trouble.” Illyria chuckled.

“And then there’s me.” She laughed and Levi rolled his eyes, clicking his tongue.

“Keep your mouth shut and you shouldn’t have a problem.” He spat but Illyria smiled. Funnily enough it was opening her mouth that got her in this predicament in the first place.

“So what will I have to do?” Levi pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.

“Just... pretend to be my date. Like everyone else will be.” He snapped, losing his composure slightly and then reeling it back in again. Illyria pressed her lips together. She had more questions, but the captain appeared to be on tenterhooks. He sipped his tea, appearing to calm down slightly and she decided to continue. It wouldn’t hurt to ask her questions, if it happened to irritate him then that was an added bonus in her eyes. Besides, she figured she deserved a little payback considering the hell he was planning on putting her through in a few days.

“So I can hold your hand?” he almost choked on his tea, managing to right himself just in time and swallowed harshly. Illyria couldn’t help the smirk that appeared on her face.

“Excuse me?” he asked, clearing his throat. Illyria shrugged.

“Well if I’m meant to be pretending to be your date, then I’m assuming that’s allowed right? I mean, people hold hands on dates.” Levi's eye twitched slightly, his face becoming hard, eyes conveying his obvious aggravation.

“No. You can hold my arm. That’s it.” Illyria nodded in understanding. Levi shot her such a dirty look she had to bite the inside of her lip to stop herself from bursting into laughter. He was not amused.

“What about kissing?” she pushed. Levi’s glare intensified, eyes narrowing more.

“Don’t even think about it, Light.” He warned, his voice sinister and threatening. Illyria rolled her eyes and folded her arms.

“Well this date sucks already. What about dancing?” Levi grit his teeth. She was insufferable.

The night of the event finally came around. The journey to the nobles house was a long and slightly awkward venture. Levi and Illyria had sat in the back of the carriage, practically silent before Illyria tried to break the ice.

She had asked him several questions before the captain shot her down.

“Stop talking.” His voice was smooth but firm and Illyria pouted and sighed, folding her arms over her chest as she looked out the window. She couldn’t help but ask all of the pointless questions. She was actually pretty nervous about the whole thing. She really didn’t feel comfortable with the idea of socialising with a bunch of egotistical bastards all night.

She bit her bottom lip, trying to ignore the nagging voice in the back of her head. She had always been a bit of a rebel. Always been the one to go against the grain. She liked her freedom. Freedom to make her own choices, play by her own rules, make her own mistakes. She was sure in what she liked and didn’t like. And one thing she didn’t like, was people thinking they were better than her, that she was somehow worth less than them. She had fought hard against that concept all her life. Part of her reason for wanting to join the scout regiment was to be given some level of respect. To finally be worth something, to do something worthwhile.

And yet here she was, about to be thrust into an incredibly uncomfortable scenario where people would be looking down on her yet again. She bit her lip again.

“What is it?” Levi noticed her unusual quietness, coupled with a couple of tell-tale habits that hinted something was wrong. He may have told her to stop talking, but he never really thought she actually would. Illyria shook her head, looking down to her hands in her lap as she pinched the tip of her fingers aggressively.

“Nothing, sir.” She replied, voice flat and quiet. Levi just rolled his eyes and looked away, not bothering to push anymore. This wasn’t supposed to be an enjoyable event for Light, it was meant to be a punishment, so he didn’t particularly care for her sulking right now.

When they arrived at the nobles house Levi jumped out of the carriage, followed quickly by Illyria. The house was huge. Illyria took a deep shaky breath, feeling very nervous as she looked at the captain, who was looking around, presumably for the others.

“I hate you, so much right now.” She hissed quietly, folding her arms defensively. Levi smirked.

“Good.” Was his only response as commander Erwin and the others approached. Historia beamed at Illyria.

“Isn’t this exciting?” she asked, clearly beyond happy about being here. Illyria shook her head frantically and Historia chuckled.

“It will be fine!” she said and Armin scoffed.

“Yeah... because Illyria is naturally charismatic, right? Such a people person.” He teased and Illyria glared at him, smacking his arm roughly.

“Oi. Don’t start.” Levi warned and Illyria looked incredulously at him.

“He started it!” she hissed, trying to not shout out loud and Levi glared hard at her.

“And I’m finishing it. Enough. Get moving.” He said, giving Illyria a sharp shove in the general direction of the house. She tutted at him disapprovingly, frowning a little at his brash behaviour as she walked beside him.

“You know, if I’m not allowed to be rude and obnoxious, you shouldn’t be allowed either.” She whispered angrily, reaching up and slipping her hand onto his arm, mentally preparing herself for the night ahead. Levi stiffened at her actions, eyes glancing to the hand that was gently holding the crook of his arm before looking back in front of him, face still firm.

“Shut up.” He muttered, entering the house. Illyria had never seen so many people. Some people were talking amicably, some were nibbling on food, sipping on wine, some were laughing together. Everyone seemed to be in their own little groups. Two's, three’s and the occasional four’s were scattered around the whole house and garden. There was a huge table in one of the rooms, adorned with food. Several young women were offering glasses of wine, walking all around the house and garden, constantly keeping the guests glasses full.

Illyria felt completely lost, her grip on the captain tightening subconsciously as he weaved through the crowd. A blonde woman approached, carrying a tray of glasses. She beamed at the captain.

“Wine sir?” she asked and Levi took a glass, handing it to Illyria and picked up a second, dismissing the woman with a small wave of his hand. Illyria was taken aback by his action but didn’t question it, drinking greedily from the glass.

“Have you no decorum?” he hissed and she stopped drinking, sighing gently

“I’m nervous, okay? What do you expect me to do?” she whispered, gripping the material of his jacket tighter as several sets of eyes fell on her all at once. She felt hot under their gazes. She could almost feel the judgement radiating off of them, the assumptions. She swallowed thickly, opting instead to look at Levi.

“How long do we need to stay here for?” she asked, her other hand also moving to her captains arm, locking her fingers together as she clung to him. He frowned a little, glancing behind to ensure Erwin and the others were still behind him.

“A few hours at least. It would be rude to leave any sooner.” Illyria inwardly groaned. Finishing off her wine. This was hell.

Suddenly, commander Erwin called out to Levi and the raven haired man stopped and turned. Illyria copied his motions, noticing Erwin and Historia standing with her old trainer, Commander Shadis, along with several others. Illyria repressed rolling her eyes as Levi walked over to greet the other commanders. Shadis raised an eyebrow at the former trainee, recognising her instantly.

“Well look what the cat dragged in, Illyria Light.” Shadis regarded the woman before him and Illyria grit her teeth, eyes narrowing ever so slightly and her grip on Levi’s arm tightened a fraction. Levi glanced at the woman holding his arm and watched her closely. Illyria took a small breath.

“Commander Shadis, sir.” She gave a small nod and the man blinked and chuckled.

“Well now, could it be that the runt has finally learnt some respect?” his tone was dark and sinister. Illyria gave an incredibly forced smile, but said nothing, not quite trusting her mouth to throw an insult at the man in front of her. Shadis grunted at her and continued engaging in conversation with the other superiors. Illyria rolled her eyes, glancing at Levi and noticing the slight smirk on his face. This asshole was having far too much fun with this. She pinched his arm slyly in retaliation to his unspoken jibe, and he looked at her, smirk only growing. He leaned closer to her, lips ghosting the shell of her ear.

“Watch it, Light, or you’ll blow your ever so believable cover.” Illyria glowered at him. He looked absolutely entertained by the whole situation, whereas she, was ready to snap already. She turned her head more, leaning to whisper in his ear, not wanting to draw anymore unnecessary attention to herself.

“With all due respect, sir, but fuck you. My cover is about as good as it’s going to get.” Levi raised an eyebrow, more than a little taken aback by her attitude but deciding to let it slide for now in favour of antagonising the cadet a little more.

“Your eyes give you away. You might force a smile but your eyes scream pure anger.” Illyria scoffed, placing her empty glass on one of the trays that were being carried around and picked up a full one instead.

“Well I’m sorry my acting skills are not to your liking, sir.” She let out an exasperated sigh, sipping her wine and shook her head. This was a nightmare.

“Honestly I’d rather have been given lashings than have to endure this stupid charade.” Levi let out a small noise of agreement, bringing his lips close to her ear again.

“Swear at me again and that may very well happen anyway, Light.” His voice was authoritative and threatening and Illyria couldn’t stop the involuntary shiver that ran through her body.

“Just keep quiet, smile, look pretty, nod your head and grin and bare it for a few hours. I’m sure even you can manage that.” Illyria cocked an eyebrow, smiling playfully as she turned and looked at her captain.

“You think I’m pretty?” she asked, teasingly. Levi’s eyes narrowed and he clicked his tongue at her, shoving her slightly as he started to walk away, forcing Illyria to follow. She just chuckled by his side, deciding to drop it for now.

The night was passing by without much incident. Illyria did a good job at ignoring the dirty looks being thrown her way, managing to keep her mouth shut. She knew what people thought of the scout regiment. She knew they were not exactly well received, many people thinking that they were a waste of time. Thinking that they drained the peoples money, food and resources for ultimately ‘pointless’ excursions. Illyria hated it.

She stood with Levi, Erwin and Historia all night. Everyone was quiet, watching others drink, eat, talk and occasionally engaging in conversation themselves, amongst each other or with passing superiors or nobles. Levi was right, it was incredibly dull and boring.

Several people approached them, a man in a suit, probably in his early fifties and a woman in a beautiful looking dress, who Illyria assumed was his wife. A young man stood with them. The older gentleman spoke first.

“Commander Erwin, Captain Levi, it is a pleasure to see you.” Erwin gave an acknowledging nod in the mans direction.

“Good to see you too Dominic. Historia this is the Lord, Lady and Master of the house. Dominic, Grace and Sebastian. They are hosting this years party.” Historia, gave a genuine smile and saluted politely.

“Thank you for your hospitality.” Illyria rolled her eyes, ignoring the sickening scene before her as she gazed off into the distance.
Conversation ensued between the commander and the hosts, nothing particularly interesting. Until of course, something caught Illyria’s attention.

“Of course it would be more beneficial if the scout regiment actually used their funds for something other than taking walks outside the walls, it all seems a little pointless really... the funds saved from your little excursions would greatly benefit other regiments...” Illyria’s ears pricked up and suddenly, her attention was drawn to the snobbish woman in front if her. She blinked, unable to keep her mouth shut any longer.

“Excuse me... excursions?” she asked and she felt Levi tense beside her. The blonde noble lady blinked and looked at Illyria.

“Yes that’s right dear. Based on the succession rates of your little jaunts I think its safe to say your allowances would be better suited elsewhere. Like protecting the walls for example.” Illyria’s eye twitched.

“Yes, because wall Maria was protected oh so well when the titans broke through and destroyed Shiganshina. A lot of use protecting the walls will do when the enemy can smash through them at any given moment.” Illyria snapped back. She felt Levi give her a slight nudge, his hand coming to rest on hers that was still latched onto his arm in warning. But Illyria was done with the niceties. The noble woman scoffed.

“Oh she’s fiery, isn’t she?” she asked, humour in her voice which just provoked the irritated cadet even further. The blonde looked Illyria up and down, almost in disgust.

“I suppose it is too much to ask for a soldier to have brains as well as brawn.” Illyria grit her teeth, her eyes shining dangerously at the woman before her.

“If anybody is lacking brains in this group right now, it’s you.” The blondes eyes widened, clearly not used to being spoken to in such a manner.

“You fail to realise that while you’re here, sitting in your big house, enjoying the simple, boring, mundane things in life, my comrades are out there risking their lives in the pursuit to bring you peace. They are out there to make sure your son knows peace, that his children are safe. It’s because of what the scout regiment is doing, that you have the luxuries you do. We go out there to fight the enemy, so that people like you don’t have to. And maybe not every mission is a complete success. But at least we are still learning about our enemy. If it wasn’t for us going out there and failing, we wouldn’t know anything about them at all. At least we are doing something to try and make things right, while people like you do nothing. Like pigs in a pen, just waiting to be slaughtered again, just like that day at Shiganshina. Let me tell you, that day, it wasn’t the Garrison regiment or the MP's that came to help the people of Shiganshina, it was the scouts. And if they had stood idly by like people like you, if they didn’t have the knowledge and the experience to take the titans down... nobody would be standing here right now.” Illyria paused and everyone was silent. The noble completely speechless as Illyria put her in her place. Her husband cleared his throat.

“I think that’s quite enough...” Illyria turned on him next.

“No, I don’t think that’s anywhere near enough, sir. Because while I am stood here I will not permit such insults to be directed at my commanding officers. You may not agree with everything the scout regiment does, and you are entitled to your wrong opinions. But my comrades, my superiors deserve respect. Respect for everything they have achieved, will achieve and do on a day to day basis to protect the things that you love and hold dear. Regardless of what you think.” Historia winced, pressing her lips together at the incredibly awkward atmosphere that had been created.
The man stared at Illyria and she held his stare, defiant as always. He gave her a soft smile.

“I apologise. It was not our intention to cause such upset. Please, enjoy the party.” And he took his wife’s arm and led her away. Illyria knew he wasn’t Being genuine. She could practically feel the condescension dripping from his voice but she let it go, deciding she had made her point. She gave a short, hard sigh, still seething quietly when she felt Levi move, removing his arm from her and opting to grab her arm discreetly. His grip firm and unyielding and she winced slightly.

“Ow.” She whispered about to glare at the man when she felt his breath on her ear.

“Get outside. Now.” Illyria swallowed hard. Levi was pissed. She said nothing as he led her out of the house and down the path leading to their carriage, the others following behind. She felt very guilty, and also incredibly nervous. She bit her lip nervously and tried to talk to the raging man beside her.

“Levi I...”

“Shut up. Get in.” And he pushed her towards the carriage forcefully. She turned back to him, the look in his eyes just short of murderous. Erwin stood behind him, his eyes soft and the ghost of a smile on his face. Historia looked terrified. Illyria sighed and pulled herself up in the cart. There was a small delay before Levi entered, obviously talking to Erwin about something and then he sat down opposite her. Illyria watched Historia and Erwin enter their own carriages along with the rest of their group and the carriage jolted to a start as they headed back to the base.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooooxxxxxxxxx

Ooooh! Levi is pissed!!!

Illyria is in trouble...

What's going to happen? ️

Read/Review!

Thank you to all those who gave followed/favourited/alerted! It means soo much! Would love to hear from y'all!

Loves and stuff xxx