five

Natasha decided to go out with Pixie the next week

Natasha decided to go out with Pixie the next week. She wanted to do something nice with her, so Pixie thought venturing out and getting a scoop of ice cream would be nice, even though they had ice cream at home. Pixie knew what it looked like outside because she went out often enough. She thrived outside. She couldn't be in isolation for a long time or she felt suffocated, like plants that didn't get enough sunlight. There were totaled cars blocking the roads, the messy roots in the earth had grown too long, and the wind was silent. That was a reason Pixie didn't force Natasha to do anything she didn't want to do outside. It didn't look fabulous or gorgeous outside. It was still a mess and people were grieving.

Pixie had been dropping hints each day about her favorite ice cream parlor that stayed open in order to lift other people's spirits up. Natasha wasn't stupid. She was an assassin, after all. She knew about the hints, but she also knew that Pixie was patient. Natasha could have been screaming at her to get out, and she could never leave Natasha alone. She would walk to her in order to comfort her even if Natasha was pointing a gun at her. She would cradle Natasha in her arms and pat her hair down, pressing kisses to the top of her head.

No one had ever done that for Natasha before. Clint and she had hugged, shared secrets with each other, and cried in front of each other, but never kissed or held each other like lovers. Bruce and she had flirted before and looked at each other like there was nothing else they wanted in life, but it was different with Pixie.
Natasha and Pixie held hands as they walked to the ice cream parlor. It would take a while before they reached it, but it was nothing Natasha couldn't handle. She could run many miles in heels while fighting villains, so it really wasn't an issue.

On the other hand, Pixie didn't like to exercise, but she was fit enough. Besides, she had been eating nothing but the sweets she made herself, so the exercise was good for her. She had stayed a good amount of her time cooped up in the mansion with Natasha, so she forgot how good the sun felt against her skin. As a girl with powers that revolved around the earth, she thrived off water and sunlight. Natasha loved seeing how she absolutely glowed in the sunlight, while she herself looked like a ghost in the sun. It was refreshing to feel the breeze against her skin while holding hands with the woman who helped her grow.

Natasha had blocked out Pixie's babbling by accident, but Pixie was aware and didn't mind at all. It was hard for Natasha to hold genuine conversations without flirting as if she was on a mission. There weren't many chances where she could let down her guard and talk about the weather or family or favorite foods out in public, but with Pixie, she was able to do just that more easily.

"What flavor are you gonna get?" asked Pixie.

"I'm feeling strawberry," answered Natasha. "It's sweet but still refreshing. What about you? Pistachio or green tea?"

Pixie pouted. "How did you know?"

Natasha smiled. "Because I know you – simple. But also, I'm an assassin and it's my job to know and remember things."

"Stupid assassin brain," Pixie grumbled.

"Come on, Garfield, I can see the ice cream parlor."