eight

Scott was pacing back and forth in front of Natasha and Steve

"Scott, are you okay?" Steve asked.

"Yeah," Scott responded, covering his eyes for a moment as he was trying to process everything. "Have either of you guys ever studied quantum physics?"

"Only to make conversation," Natasha replied.

"All right, so... Five years ago, right before - before Thanos, I was in a place called the quantum realm. The quantum realm is like its own microscopic universe. To get in there, you have to be incredibly small. Hope, she's my - she was - she was my - she was supposed to pull me out, and then Thanos happened, and I got stuck in there," Scott explained.

"I'm sorry. That must've been a very long 5 years," Natasha interrupted.

"Yeah, but that's just it. It wasn't. For me, it was 5 hours," he recalled.

"Food's ready!" Pixie called out, walking into the room. "Oh, I didn't realize we had a guest. Oh - hey, Scott! Don't worry, I made extra. I made chicken-avocado-tuna melt. How does that sound?"

"Oh - my God, that sounds superb," he mumbled, words mingling together as the thought of food mushed his brain.

Pixie nudged her head. "Come on. The table's set."

Steve, Natasha, and Scott followed Pixie into the dining room where food had been spread out. There was a platter of vegetables with a dip next to it.

"I didn't realize you were coming, so just give me a moment to toast the bread. Also, aren't you supposed to be gone because of the Snap?" Pixie asked, intensely staring at the toaster.

Steve sighed. "That should have been your first question."

She only giggled, flinching when the bread popped out. She grabbed it and placed it on a plate before preparing it for Scott. Once it was ready, she handed it to him and sat at the table, gesturing for everyone to do the same.

"This is super good!" he exclaimed through a mouthful.

Pixie smiled. "Thank you! You make my heart flutter."

Steve took a bite of his sandwich. "Right. So, Scott, as you were saying."

"Right, right, sorry, great melt. The rules of the quantum realm aren't like they are up here. Everything is unpredictable."

"Scott, what are you talking about?" Steve asked.

"What I'm saying is, time works differently in the quantum realm. The only problem is right now, we don't have a way to navigate it. But what if we did?"

Steve and Natasha shared a skeptical look, while Pixie was off in her own world, nodding at everything Scott was saying.

"I can't stop thinking about it," Scott mumbled. "What if we could somehow control the chaos, and we could navigate it? What if there was a way that we can enter the quantum realm at a certain point in time, but then exit the quantum realm at another point in time? Like - Like before Thanos."

"Wait, are you talking about a time machine?" Steve questioned, forgetting about the sandwich that was dripping out tuna.

"Scott shook his head. "No. No, of course not. No, not a time machine. It's more like a..." He paused before sighing. "Yeah, like a time machine. I know. It's crazy. It's crazy, but I can't stop thinking about it. There's gotta be...some way... It's crazy," he muttered, looking like a kicked puppy.

"Scott, I get emails from a raccoon," Natasha dryly retorted before taking a sip from the orange juice. "So, nothing sounds crazy anymore."

"So, who do we talk to about this?" Scott asked, licking his fingers of the tuna melt.