五 My own steel

"Total Concentration! First form! Water surface slash!" Tanjiro yelled cutting is neck clean off.

The snow was falling gently, a trail of corpses and blood splatters led to a feasting demon. There stood a young Urokodaki, his sword out of its sheath. The dim light of a burning lantern-lit his form, the red tengu mask as vibrant in the night as could be. On instinct, the demon ran at the young man, attacking him with his bloodied claws and feet. He jumped up, only to be cut by the man effortlessly. Gravely injured, he ran with his bare feet on the cold snow-covered ground.

The demon hid behind an old broken wagon, holding his bleeding arm to his chest. The demon ran into a dead end only to be met with the same fate. Jumping up, coming down at the demon with his sword raised... oh, how the student takes after the master.

The demons head landed with a thud and a couple of bounces. His large body was disintegrating before his eyes. All his hard work only to be slain by a student of the man he detested. Why?

'Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! My body's crumbling and disintegrating, I can't stop it!,"

Tanjiro put his sword back in its sheath, the girl running to her brother giving him a big hug. She let go and stared at the demon with sad eyes, her brother turning to see what she is staring at only to have the same look in his eyes.

'To think the last face of a demon hunter will be the last thing I see. How did it come to this?'

.

.

.

A small boy sat there with his knees to his chest, tears in his eyes.

"I'm so scared. I'm all alone. Nii-chan, where are you? I want you to hold my hand! Like you always do!" he looked around, his face so human, so delicate, "Why? Why on earth did I bite you to death nii-chan?"

"Huh? Who is this 'Nii-chan' person?"

.

.

.

Tanjiro and Fujiko stared at the hand, open while the rest of the body disintegrated. 'What a sad aura coming from you now... you really missed him didn't you?'

I watched as nii-san held his hand, both of his fitting with the demon's big one. The demon's fingers curled in, hold Nii-san's lightly. I looked over to his head only to see crocodile tears coming out. I clapped my hands together as I stared at his hand holding Tanjiro's. 'God, please let this man, the next time he's born human, to not turn his life into one of the demons,'.

.

.

.

.

.

"Nii-chan!" the boy yelled, running to the light. There his older brother stood with a lantern in his hand. He faced his younger brother that was coming towards him. "Nii-chan! Nii-chan! Hold my hand! Please!"

The older boy sighed, holding his outstretched hand, "You're hopeless, you know? Still such a scaredy-cat,"

The two boys walked home, hand in hand, happy with such a simple act of love.

.

.

.

The hand disintegrated completely, not a single piece of his ashes left. I felt tears prick my eyes, it was like I could feel their souls resting.