CHAPTER 7:

When we got to the very beautiful, authentic Spanish restaurant Mateo came around the car from the front and helped me out so I wouldn't have another accident like before which I wish I did have.

The distance between our faces was a dream. His scent filled my noise with the smell of cinnamon spice just like my dads. He smiled at me through the window as he pulled the car door open. 

When I finally got out of the car, he gave me the world wide smile that could light up New York city and took my hand in his. We walked towards the restaurant trying to avoid the large puddles that had formed from the light trickling of rain that had just stopped.

It was wet outside and moisture in the air. It felt so good to be outside feeling the breeze brush past me face as he held my hand.

He walked me into the dimly lit restaurant and straight to the front desk. We looked like a couple that had been married for a long time by the way he held my hand and the confidence he had to walk with me like this.

Eventually he let my hand go pull his phone out of his front pocket. Checking his messages as we wait for a table. He looked up and gestured for me to sit on the waiting bench.

"Table for two please." He smiled as the waitress grinned widely. She started to blush and bat her eyes hard. He was truly a sight for sore eyes. He came and sat by me still on his phone sending emails and texting to someone named Maria. I got a bit jealous but then realized that he wasn't my boyfriend.

"My mother is crazy." He laughed looking at me smiling, "She's told me that we were in her dream and that we got married and had kids."

"Wow." I giggled not wanting to make the situation more obvious than it already was. He continued to text as I saw couples walking in, in nice attire when Mateo and I were dressed like we just got out of bed.

I was wearing a white t-shirt with tights with his black adidas and he was wearing a plain black shirt and blue jeans. The hostess waved at us to come and tapped Mateo on the shoulder as he looked at me.

"She's ready for us." I whispered feeling uncomfortable in my clothes. He smiled, took my hand standing and took me to the front desk again.

The hostess grabbed two menus from her stand and asked him to follow her to the table. She seemed like she was in the same trance I was when I first met him. As we walked to the table, I checked my phone with my free hand to see 105 messages from my family and friends asking where I was at.

I rolled my eyes, ignoring it and turning my phone off before putting it back in my butt pocket. We got to our table and sat down. The waitress smiled and forced herself to walk off. I looked at him as he was staring at me. I start blushing and look at the menu that was in Spanish.

"Oh she gave us both Spanish menus, do you want me to get you a English menu." He tried to stand up but I stopped him by putting my hand on his and smiling saying, "No, can you just help me."

He nodded and got up to come around the table. He leaned down on me back and started to whisper it in Spanish tracing what he was saying. "Do you want chicken or fish?"

"I can't eat seafood, and I don't really like chicken," I stated. Turning my head slightly to face him as our faces were only inches apart. He didn't really notice or care because he was focusing on the menu helping me understand.

"Ribs, or steak, or a salad." He asked, facing me as our noses touch. He looked into my eyes and down at my chin. I was ready to kiss him down right here, in front of everyone. He leaned back giving me space that I didn't ask for and gave me a shy smile.

"I want salad. Please." I said looking back down at the menu like i could read the Spanish. My cheeks get hot and butterflies in my stomach.

"Yes ma'am." He said, walking back to his eating and sitting down very slowly looking passed me.

"What." I asked.

"Nothing." He smiled. He looked tense and only looked behind me which made me feel anxious and irritated. He eventually looked down for a second then looked straight back up. It took everything in me not to turn around and stare or ask him what it was. I pull my phone out as he finally looks at me and in defeat.

"I'm sorry, I haven't been talking to you." He smiled softly which just enraged me more. I felt like crap. The same waitress came back and took our orders from Mateo in Spanish. I'm surprised she actually got the order from all the drooling she was doing.

When she left he sat up and leaned forward. "I'm really sorry, my ex fiancee walked in with her husband and I lost myself." He smiled at me making me blush as usual. I think he still might be in love with her.

"I think you can take me home after we eat." I said smiling at him. He looked a little lost for a second but then looked sad.

"Why, I still have three more days off." He explained confusedly.

"I haven't been texting my family back and they might be worried about me." I said. I'm not going to deal with another man who'll just hurt me and damage my self esteem. I'm not a little college student anymore. I know when it's time to let someone go.

And if he still loves her, then I have no chance to try and pursue him or a relationship at that. "I insist you stay, I thought we could visit a couple places, like take a boat ride, or even go shopping." He said looking past me.

I grab my purse getting ready to escape this cage I was put in. He was like a dream turned into reality. I hold my phone close to me getting ready to get up and realizing he didn't see that I was packing up my things to leave. I get up swiftly and walk out.

"Lily." I hear as I tear up. I was really starting to like that jerk. And he's staring at another woman. This is why I don't date. Relationships and boyfriends are irrelevant to my happiness. I was actually going to stay with him and have fun on this trip.

I need to go back to where I started from. I think I need to start acting like the woman was before coming here. I don't need anymore pain and torment. I need to stop opening myself up to people who are just going to damage me.

"Lily, wait." He said, running out the restaurant behind me. I was all the way across the street without realizing. He came up to me and took a couple deep breaths. It was almost the perfect rainy weather. The wind was still blowing and the rain was still sprinkling but just a little.

"It's Lillian." I said rolling my eyes turning away from him.

"Listen, i'm sorry I wasn't paying you any attention, I just haven't seen her in a couple years and it shocked me." He answered, "I don't love her though."

I stood in shock on how open he was with his statement. "You don't have to explain yourself to me, a stranger you don't know."

"Oh but I do know you Lily."

"No," I almost laughed out of frustration looking back at him,You really don't."

"Lily, your kind, funny, family-oriented, and not to mention beautiful." He smiled which caused me to blush uncontrollably. He grabbed me in a hug which I didn't want to respond to but did. Eventually I had to let go.

"I can't do this with you Mateo, I'm not the type of girl you want to be with," I said trying to get out of his grasp but couldn't. He held me too tight for me to escape.

"Lily you are the exact girl I wanna be with." He said looking at my lips. I tried to back up but instead he pulled me closer with his arms that were already behind my back as my hands stayed stationary in front of his chest giving me distance and support.

"Mateo, let me go." I whisper trying to gather my thoughts that were all over the place.

"Never" He responded, bringing his lips in quickly and crashing them into mine.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
Word count >1502
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Like • comment • Follow