Chapter 16: Let's Talk

Todoroki's POV

Just as I was leaving U.A. to meet up with (y/n), my father came by and stopped me from leaving. Surprisingly, he wasn't dressed like the usual hero self he would usually be in. I tried to escape his grasp, but he stopped me with his stern voice. I rather ignore him and get to (y/n) as quickly as possible... but...

"Shoto, I've talked to your girlfriend already. I've asked her to not tell you about our little meeting."

I looked towards him, nearly glaring at him. "You've... what? What did you tell her? What are you trying to do between us too?"

Father did nothing but laid his head down in defeat. That was also new. I've never seen him look this defeated and he wasn't gonna do anything about it. Whenever he was defeated, he would do anything to ensure victory the next time. That was the Endeavor I had to grow up with. That's the Endeavor I knew to know. This new Endeavor... was completely different. 

"What did you do with (y/n)?!" I demanded for an answer.

Father didn't do anything else but walked up to me. "Can you text (y/n) that you would be late for your meeting? I just want to talk with you. That's it."

I scowled, sighing heavily, seeing that he was at least being respectful for (y/n). "Fine... just this once..."

Father nodded his head as I quickly texted to (y/n). She replied that everything was okay. "Let's go and eat some dinner, shall we? I'll pay for-"

"Fine, that's fine. Let's just hurry this thing up. I'm still gonna hang out with (y/n), no matter what. I just want this to be done and over as fast as I can."

*   *   *

He brought me to a soba shop, and I didn't mind it. I ordered a usual bowl of soba, and I sat in silence.

"Shoto... I-"

"I'm not leaving (y/n), if that's what you're trying to do. Even Mom approves of her." I could hear the surprised gasp from him when I mentioned Mother. I sighed heavily, beginning to eat. "There's nothing wrong with her... I love her."

"I know." I stopped eating for a second, listening to what he was saying. "I know, Shoto. I... I wanted to say that... I did have a talk with her. Of course, I know your relationship between each other is true. There's no reason for me to interfere. You're welcome to come to me for advice."

A scowl appeared on my face once more- probably even worse than what it was earlier. "No offense, Father, but you and Mom had a Quirk Marriage. It was somewhat forced. You wouldn't have any advice. This isn't because of a Quirk Marriage. I don't even care for her Quirk. All I care about is her and her only. If I've forgotten her Quirk, it wouldn't have mattered at all."

I could hear Father sighing once more. He knows I'm right. How would he know of true love if he arranged a marriage based on Quirks? "I know."

"Is that all?"

"I just wanted you to know that... well... I definitely approve of her. Just don't do any funny mistakes. You two are still young- high school, even. I know the feeling to go and protect her- putting your life in danger. I just ask that you protect yourself as well."

I shook my head, not believing that part. "Then I wouldn't be a true hero. Putting my life in danger is what a true hero does. Even if she's gonna be a hero and putting herself at risk... I will risk it all for her. You probably won't understand it at all, Father, but I'll do anything for her. I will always keep that promise to her."

"Then at least keep a promise to me or something."

"Depending on what that is."

Father sighed once more, reaching out for my arm. I should've flinched or pulled back, but I didn't. "Keep your relationship at a down low. I don't want either of you to get targeted by villains on either side. If someone tries to hurt you, it might be to hurt me. But if it turns out they might target (y/n), they will do anything to pull you out in the open. I want you to be weary of that. I asked that of (y/n) to keep it somewhat not publicly. Please do that, at least."

Why did I nod my head and agreed to that? I did just that. I walked away from that soba restaurant with that haunting my mind. I called up (y/n), telling her that I was available again... and we can hang out until it's time for U.A. to close up for the day. I guess that because he approved of our relationship and allowed us to stay together and not arranging another Quirk Marriage for me... keeping that promise should be no problem.