#7 - minus tempo

I was sitting at the back of Coach Ukai's car munching on some candy while Coach and my brother were at the front. Sho and I had no clue where we were going.

But then, we saw him.

It was the old coach of Karasuno. Also known by some as the crazy crow coach.

"WOAHHH!" "Woahhh..."

Me and my brother looked at him in awe. While I didn't necessarily play on the court, I still loved volleyball and I knew that meeting this man could teach us a whole lot about the sport.

The look on his face scared my brother but I found it rather amusing. He looked like a manager my dad partnered up with a few years back.

What I'm trying to say is that old men with scary looks on their faces don't frighten me one bit.

Shoyo explained to the old coach Ukai that he wanted to fight on his own and it seemed to spark something in the old geezer.

When Sho went on to explain his quick attack with his 'fwooshes' and 'babams'. I decided to pitch in.

"Uhh, what he's trying to say is that when he closes his eyes and jumps, Kageyama our setter is able to throw the ball with pinpoint accuracy to Shoyo's spike."

"Hmm, I see." He then went on to explain how it's important to have a weapon in your arsenal that you're familiar with or something like that.

"Well, it's faster to learn by doing. Okay Shorty, why don't you try blocking for a bit. You call yourself a middle blocker right? Let's see whatcha got."

I gave him a push on his back and he tumbled forward slightly, "C'mon Shorty, show him what you can do."

"I'm taller than you!"

"You're missing the point." I chuckled.

"You go to middle school?"

"Which one?" the little kids were teasing him which only made me laugh more.

When they started to play, old coach Ukai was clearly impressed by Shoyo's jump.

When it came to first tempo, he wasn't able to block it, but you could certainly see the sparkle in his eyes from witnessing it.

Coach started explaining tempo and how it's when the spiker's making their approach. After that, our coach Ukai drove off somewhere after thinking of something.

But that's when it hit me.

"Hang on a second..." I said quite loudly, enough to draw all the attention towards me.

"From the speed that Kageyama and Shoyo are going at... I'd say that it's minus tempo."

"Minus tempo?" Shoyo and the grade schoolers asked.

"She might be on to something. Though I haven't seen the quick attack myself in person before."

"Right. But here's the thing. I've realised that when Kageyama is about to set the ball, Shoyo is already in the air and in the position to spike the ball. That would make it faster than first tempo... So negative tempo, right?"

"That's correct. So that quick attack really lives up to its hype, huh? Anyways, I've been meaning to ask." he turned to me,

"Yeah?"

"You're y/n Hinata, right?"

"Oh, yeah I am."

"I believe there was a commercial you did where you did a service ace am I correct?"

"Actually yeah, you are! That was by far my favourite shoot since I could actually do something, y'know? They really thought that I needed a double for that shot." I sighed thinking back. The look on their faces were priceless.

It was a commercial for a popular sports shop advertising for women's sports clothing. I obviously took up the volleyball portion for that commercial.

"So, that really was you?"

"Mhm!" I nodded,

"Welp, you should give me a hand."

And with that I gladly helped set to Shoyo. I knew how to set and receive fairly well from when I would help Sho practice and my serve was by far my best. Probably because that's one of the things I could practice by myself at my house in America.

~time skip~

We were back at school and Shoyo apologised to Tanaka for his fight with Kageyama.

"It may sound bad as the loving sister that I am but I'm actually pretty gutted I missed that."

When I saw Shoyo and Kageyama pass each other without even sparring a glance I knew that this wasn't going to be good and it was more serious than I thought.

Yes, they'll be able to practice on their own, but when putting them together in play, their timing will be rusty as hell and will need practice a cooperation to make those puzzle pieces fit.

Nevertheless, when it all comes together...

We'll probably have the strongest weapon Karasuno has had in a long time.

After getting my favourite drink from the vending machine I headed into the girls volleyball gym since I heard that the boys are using it. I saw that Asahi was in there practicing serves.

"Hey Asahi, I have some tips that may help..."

And with y/n's single demonstration, Asahi was shocked speechless.

(cue the training montage that I can't be bothered to write sorry aha)

Now that Summer break has come, the boys will be training a lot more and I'll make sure to do the most that I can. But that also means...

A week long summer camp with Nekoma and all the other teams.

It's definitely going to be a long one.

♡~♡~♡

sorry it's a short one but i'm hyped to write the next chap since it's when they go to the training camp!! and that also means that our best bois will be there also :)
anyways, have a good day!