【his fault】

"it just... it's too much, ya know?"

"yeah, i kind of understand."

"i just... youtube made me feel happy because at least i was doing something, but now it- it's just some weird thing that bothers me, you know? i feel like i have to make videos even though i said i was done."

niall nodded.

"i think you're experiencing a bad case of burnout my friend."

alex made eye contact with him for what felt like the first time that night.

only now did he realise niall's eyes were hazel.

god, he could easily lose himself in those eyes.

those soft hazel eyes, his poorly dyed platinum blond hair, his soft smi-

"alex."

alex stared at the man.

"...yeah?"

"why did you quit youtube?"

alex hesitated before answering.

he didn't really know the answer himself.

sure, he quit because it was stressful, but besides that, he didn't really have an excuse.

part of him knew it had to do with george, he just didn't want to admit it.

watching the man you secretly loved making videos with his friends, only really talking to you when you're going to the store or asking for video ideas.

holy. fucking. shit.

it was all because of george.

the man he loved did this to him.

he made him anxious, scared, angry, upset.

he made him feel numb.

it was all his fault.

"george," was all alex mumbled.

niall tilted his head in confusion.

"what?"

alex's heart was racing.

he was pumped.

he was ready to confront george.

alex sat up from his chair and started walking towards the door.

niall followed him.

"alex where are you going?"

"i'm going home, i need to talk to george," he spoke from another room in the house.

niall followed his voice.

"alex you can't do that, it's too dark and i don't have a car."

"so? i'll walk in the dark, i don't care."

as alex grabbed the door handle, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

he turned around to see niall's concerned face.

"alex, please stay here... just for the rest of the night, okay? you can figure things out in the morning."

"niall i don't want to be a burden, i'll just get a taxi and.."

"no, you're staying here, alright?"

alex sighed.

"right, okay."

niall smiled.

"here, i'll go get some blankets and you can sleep on the couch," niall spoke, backing away from the door.

alex reluctantly followed him.

"um, do i have to sleep on the couch?"

niall walked into another room, too far for alex to see him.

"you prefer my gaming chair, mate?" 

"no... i mean, i just, don't really feel like.. uh being alone right now."

alex's face felt hot.

god, why did he say that?

why did he have to make everything so awkward?

alex looked down and picked at the sleeves of his 'lgt' sweatshirt.

when he looked up, niall was staring at him with a small pile of blankets in his hands.

"so you want to... sleep in my bed?"

alex nodded.

niall looked at the blankets in his hands.

he was thankful that it was dark and alex couldn't see him blushing.

"okay, i'll just put these back in the closet."

as niall left, alex was smiling like an idiot.

he didn't know why he wanted to sleep in the same bed as niall, but the idea of it made him happy.

sure, he was cute, maybe even cuter than george, but alex still loved george, even if george didn't love him.

after the two had watched shrek and had started shrek 2, for it was niall's favourite movie, alex only then realised how tired he actually was.

his body ached and his throat burned from the alcohol. his breathe also had an effect from the alcohol - it reeked.

he couldn't believe he had run away, smashed a bottle of alcohol into the road, got rejected by fraser and was now sleeping next to niall.

it felt like that had happened ages ago and he had been out of his mind since.

but for some reason, as he watched niall laugh at the movie, he couldn't help but feel warm and happy.

he felt safe.

alex couldn't remember if they had finished the second movie or not, and he probably never would. but as he felt the heat from niall's unconscious body, he was happier than ever and he didn't know why. he loved george, and he knew that. he just didn't mind if he was asleep next to niall rather than george.

speaking of george, as alex muted his phone before falling asleep, he noticed the hundreds of panicked texts and calls from the man. most of them were 'where are you?' 'are you okay?' 'i'm so sorry!'

he wanted to answer george so badly.

he wanted to tell him that he was okay and he was safe.

but he was too tired, and he didn't want to call back, in fear of walking niall up.

so he set his phone back on the nightstand.

as he did so, his eyes caught a glimpse of the most recent text from george.

'i love you alex, please come home.'

alex set his phone face down on the nightstand and got closer to niall.

it didn't matter right now, he would go home tomorrow and see george.

all that mattered right now was that things were going to get better.

soon, he would get back to youtube and start making videos.

soon, he would go home and explain what a crazy day he had to his friends.

maybe that could be his next video.

"i was mad at my friend so i got drunk and threw a bottle of alcohol into the road and slept with my other friend"

yeah, that seemed like a good title.