【friends】

george didn't know how long alex had been in the hospital.

he didn't know because he had spent so much time with alex, his days practically revolved around the man.

george felt obligated to see alex every day. he felt like the more time he spent with him, the faster they'd become friends.

alex didn't seem to mind, it wasn't like he could even go anywhere, plus, it was nice to have someone to talk to that wasn't niall.

speaking of niall, he hadn't seen alex in over 2 weeks.

well, that is, until he came in the room one day when george and alex were talking about who they thought would win in a fight - will or james.

niall simply walked into the room without knocking, and george tensed up.

sure, they had forgiven each other, but george still felt like he had messed up niall in some way.

he walked to the foot of alex's bed and spoke in a low, quiet voice.

"i've been thinking about it, and i reckon it would be best for us to break up. i care about you a lot, it's just that, well, you're in the hospital and..." niall paused trying to find the words. as he did so, he looked at george. "well, it's just that you ran away, and then you stole my meds and-"

"niall, i understand," alex spoke, looking up at the man.

"okay," niall spoke, a hint of pain in his voice.

"uh, thanks for being my boyfriend though, i'm just gonna go..." the platinum blonde spoke before turning around and leaving the room.

ever since that day, alex seemed more talkative.

maybe it was the medication he was taking, or maybe he just felt happier.

whatever the reason was, george loved it.

as the days turned into weeks and the weeks eventually turned into a month, george and alex slowly became friends again. 

it took some time and a lot of visits, but over time, the two became good friends.

sometimes george found himself wanting to be more than friends.

but, he knew that it would take some time, so he kept his mouth shut and didn't speak.

a/n: srry for such a short chapter, i'm kinda stuck on what to do for this chapter since i know exactly what to write for the next one