𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟟 - 𝕒 '𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕔𝕚𝕒𝕝' 𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕟𝕖𝕣

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I wake up to the light outside shining brightly in my eyes. I realize that I am still on the couch with Ryann, and the television is still on. I get up and look at the time on the mini-oven in our small kitchen. It reads 11:03. Oh my god! We slept in! I run over to a sleeping Ryann on the couch and yell, "Ryann! Wake up! We're missing school!" She sits up and groggily says, "W-what'd you say?" I yelled louder, "We slept in! You need to get up, it's 11!" She shoots up and starts to get dressed. No time for makeup or showers this morning. I put on some black leggings, a sweatshirt, my vans, and a gold choker for fun. I put my hair up in a tight ballet bun since it's almost time for lunch, and right after lunch is dance class. I grab my dance bag and a mint out of my purse on my way out, and remind Ryann to lock the door when she leaves. I shoot down the dorm hallway and eventually get to school.

I enter history class and I see Fulton looking at me, worried. I sit down and the teacher says, "Well, I never would have thought that Laik Reese would be late to my class. Why are you late?" I look up at him and answer, "I accidentally slept in. I stayed up late studying." I hear Fulton make the quietest giggle I've ever heard. He knows damn well that's a lie. I even told him what mine and Ryann's plans were yesterday. The teacher replies, "I will not count you as tardy, but please, Miss Reese, watch how late you stay up." I smile and say, "Yes sir." He continues his lesson and 5 minutes before the bell rings, he tells us to get our things together for lunch. As Fulton slings his bookbag over his shoulder, he stands up and leans over to my desk and says, "Studying, huh?" I giggle and say, "Shut up! At least he believed it." I stand up and reach down to grab my purse but Fulton grabs it and hands it to me. "Thank you." I smile. He replies, "Anytime, espically for my friend." The bell rings, and Fulton and I walk to lunch. "So, Charlie told me an ex-boyfriend tried to do some weird stuff to you yesterday." I make a fake gagging noise and say, "Yeah. He's not okay. He still harasses me, but I'm just glad that I'm out of the relationship with him." Fulton stops me for a second and I turn to him. He sets his hand on my shoulder and says, "As long as we're friends, nothing like that is ever going to happen again." I smile and say, "I hope not." We continue walking down the hallway in silence. Right before we enter the cafeteria, Ryann and Dannah meet up with me and I tell Fulton goodbye. I get my usual lunch, a salad and orange juice, and get to our table. For once, no losers are trying to sit here. I look to the table to our left and wave at Fulton. He smiles and waves back. The girls at my table begin to chat about mine and Ryann's shopping trip. I notice all of the Varsity hockey boys walking over to the JV hockey table. I say, "Guys, check this out." We all look over and  I hear Rick say, "Hey! Congrats on the blank game!" Cowboy Dwayne and Charlie look up at him and Charlie frowns and replies, "Yeah right. We tied." Rick flashes a smile and says, "A point's a point. We're all Warriors now." I look to the girls and say, "I'm glad that Varsity's finally being nice to them." Cadie is about to reply when we hear Rick say, "You guys proved that you've got guts. Y'all set for dinner tomorrow night? It's a Friday night!" Russ looks at the team, confused and asks, "Dinner?" Rick smirks and says, "It's an Eden Hall tradition. The Varsity team treats the Freshmen to dinner." The team looks at each other and nods. "So round up your posse and meet us at 6:00 at the Minnesota Club, downtown. If anybody needs a ride, we can take you." Now JV is exchanging worried glances, but Rick smiles and says, "I mean, you guys do like steak and seafood, right?" Charlie answers, "Yeah we do!" And Averman nods in agreement. Rick and the rest of Varsity walks away except for Adam Banks and Cole. Cole says, "Look, I don't like you pukes, alright? But this is a tradition. At Eden Hall, I've learned to care about tradition." He whistpers something to Adam and both of the boys walk back to their lunch table.

As I am walking to dance class after lunch, I hear footsteps. I turn around and see Fulton. I smile and say, "Hey, big shot." He smiles and says, "Hey Laik. " We continue to walk down the Athletics Hall and Fulton says, "So Varsity invited us to a special dinner tomorrow night. And I-" I cut him off and say, "Yes, I've heard." He cuts back in. "And I was wondering if you wanted to come with me as my Plus One?" I answer, "Oh, I'm not sure." and jokingly frown. His smile melts and he replies, "Ok. I'm sorry. You're too-" I cut him off again and giggle. "Fulton, I'm kidding! I'd love to go! But just as friends though, right?" He smiles and agrees. "Right."