Chapter Ten

Lisa goes back to the bedroom with a tray of food on her hands. She is about to drop it down when seeing the brunette curling up on the soft mattress as her body is trembling under the thick blanket. She literally bolts to her, putting the tray of the food on the table beside the bed.

"What's wrong?" She asks, panic as she takes the sheet off the latter's body. The sight in front of her is so tragic that she doesn't know what to do, saying nothing in stunned silence for a few moments.

For the brunette, sensing that Lisa is beside her, so she flings herself to the blonde's arms, snuggling up on the crook of her neck and starts crying again. "I am sorry, Lisa." She murmurs.

"Huh? Don't be stupid, Jennie. You do nothing wrong. If you still think about the boy, I attacked at school again, please don't because he did deserve it." Lisa pulls back, wiping the uncontrolled tears of the older. Truth be told, even if Jennie is older than her a year, she seems to be softer and weaker than Lisa, who always faces many problems in life but still survives.

"No! Not about that." The brunette shakes her head rapidly. "I-I am sorry that I didn't fight for us. I just understand it now."

Lisa frowns, confused. "What are you talking about, Jennie?"

"I said I am sorry for not fighting for us. I am such a coward. I know your feelings all along, but I ignore it. The worst thing is I even deny myself as well. Until now, I just realize that no matter how hard I hide my own damn feelings, it is still at the back of my head. It's cursing me every time you have done something for me." Jennie cries harder, frustrated at herself.

"No. You are just confused, Jennie. We are best friends, and we will stay like that forever. I will be always by your side, and-"

"Shut up!" The brunette shouts angrily. "Don't you dare deny it!"

"How about Kai, Jennie? Your lovely fiancé, huh? The one you always defense even if he did something bad to you." Lisa fires back. Her face reddens with anger.

"I never love him," Jennie mumbles back. "As I said, I was in denial. I love you, Lisa. The fact that I always forgive him is not because I love him. It's because I have no choice. I want you to believe that I love him. That I don't want you. I want you to lose hope because deep down here..." She points at her left chest, where her heart located. "I know you also love me."

Lisa sighs exasperatedly, "So, why tell me now, Jennie? Do you think you can fix this? Fix us! Fix everything?" The blonde shakes her head in disbelief. "Let's me tell you this. You can't! You are about to get married. You are supposed to be happy with Kai. I know what he has done is not appropriate, but I believe he won't do that to you again when you get married."

"Why? Why do you know he won't do that again? As I know, you never like him, and obviously, I expect that you will be happy to hear the truth from me, but you don't. You did the opposite. Not to mention, you even try to push me towards Kai. If I don't know you better, I will think you are sick or something." The brunette states, her hands fly in the air, showing how frustrated and upset she is.

The word sick digs inside Lisa's heart. She smiles bitterly, thinking how good Jennie is to guess the truth. Actually, she would be thrilled to hear that the brunette loves her back, and the fact that she doesn't love Kai would have made her even more ecstatic, but she can't do that. She couldn't give hope to Jennie. She can't give hope to her when she knows that she will leave her one day.

Lisa laughs indifferently, "Jennie, don't be an idiot. I know you love him, and if you are scared that he will cheat on you again, don't worry. I assure you that he won't. I talked to him yesterday."

The brunette gasps, "When? You talked to him yesterday while I was sleeping? What were you talking about?"

"About you. In fact, I asked him to take care of you. He swore that he won't hurt you again because he said that the day, he proposed to you, he decided to really settle down to have a family. So, he won't risk that, and I believe him. After all, Kai isn't really a bad guy."

This time, the brunette laughs pathetically at her best friend, "Really, Lisa? You said you don't love me, but you called the man I am about to marry just to make sure that he won't hurt me again? Please explain to me that this isn't love you have for me."

"Jennie, listen. I care for you doesn't mean I love you, okay? I just care for you as a best friend should do."

"So, how about the necklace you have been wearing since my fifteenth birthday. You gave me one with the letter L, and you wore the one with the letter J. You insisted to wear it all the time even if I stopped wearing it since I started dating, and you still do. Why? Don't you afraid that no one will choose you as a lover because you indeed throw that damn thing in their faces that you are already with someone, and that stupid someone is fucking me!" Jennie starts weeping after pointing at the necklace on Lisa's neck as the blonde stands up.

"Eat your breakfast. I am heading outside now."

"Where are you going?"

"I am going somewhere until tonight, so don't wait for me. Eat your breakfast."

"Where is that somewhere? I want to know. In fact, I want to go with you, too. Please, Lisa. Don't leave me alone."

"I said I will come back." The last thing Lisa says before stepping outside, leaving Jennie at the same place for the whole day.