five

-THE school bell rang signalling the end of the school day. students hurriedly packed their bags and piled out of the school just minutes after.

all except five boys.

one by one, the boys took their seats in the detention room. besides taehyun and hueningkai, the other three boys sat far apart. the atmosphere felt awkward considering how all of them used to be one group of brothers.

no one could believe it either. once junior year ended, the group of boys completely dispersed, each going their separate ways.

taehyun and hueningkai were the only ones who managed to stay best friends despite the split between the other boys.

it was only a natural progression in the lives of those five teenagers for friendship to suddenly cease to exist.

mister kim strolled into the classroom, eyeing the boys individually. he leaned his lower body against the teacher's desk and crossed his arms. anyone could tell by his droopy eyes that he was fatigued.

"now listen up. you boys came here for different reasons- reasons that got you in trouble. you'll only be dismissed once you finish stacking up the desks and chairs that has unfortunately, been disorganised by the juniors. i'll be checking in every 10 minutes," mister kim finished and walked out of the classroom before the boys could even protest.

the desks and chairs that the five boys had to stack was completely impossible to sort out to begin with. it was unbelievably messy. which group of kids decided that it was okay to push everything to the back of the class?

"well, this is awkward. didn't expect to see our prize pupil end up in detention! i didn't expect destiny to bring us boys together!" beomgyu commented dryly as the boys stared at the young musician in awkward silence.

"that's not even the awkward part. it's seeing us boys in detention together," soobin retorted, breaking the silence as he walked to the back of the classroom to sort out the mess.

"how have you been boys?" hueningkai awkwardly asked as he stood up to help soobin.

"i'm good although this school has too many biased teachers. i can't take it," soobin spat out, still angered by the fact an educator caused him a flaw in his perfect record.

hueningkai and taehyun could only laugh at soobin's brief tantrum as beomgyu seemed to remain aloof to the topic.

"i can't relate, i'm barely in school!" beomgyu joked, accidentally tripping on air which caused the boys to erupt with laughter.

on the other hand, yeonjun remained seated and quietly drew on his notepad. he had to admit, he missed the boys. they were his only friends. in the group, yeonjun had the most trouble making new friends, often relying on the boys alone.

that changed the moment junior year ended and yeonjun turned bitter, promising to only fend for himself.

soobin noticed the blue-haired boy sitting alone and decided to approach him, leaving the three boys to converse among themselves.

"hey junnie," soobin greeted and took a seat facing yeonjun.

"what do you want?" yeonjun coldly asked, his gaze still fixated on his notepad.

"how have you been?" soobin asked softly. he noticed how yeonjun had changed from a sweet, playful boy to someone so cold and bitter. he couldn't blame yeonjun for changing, none of them were there for him.

"i'm fine. why do you suddenly care?" yeonjun snapped. he didn't want to be left alone in the dark again.

"because now is a good time to rekindle our friendship. i want to make things right with you and the boys again- especially you," soobin said with sincerity, hoping that yeonjun would agree.

yeonjun set his pencil down and pondered for a moment, leaving a patient soobin anxious for his response. the air in the room was thin as the boys watched yeonjun's next moves intently.

yeonjun hesitantly stood up from his seat and went to work on sorting out the desks and chairs with the boys. soobin smiled to himself as he hurried over towards the boys and excitedly placed his arms around them, pulling them in for a group hug.

"we're back together after a thousand years!" hueningkai exclaimed and beamed adorably at the boys.

"ah, you're so dramatic," yeonjun snorted causing the boys to laugh.

"alright, enough skinship. let's finish up our task so we can leave this stuffy classroom," taehyun said as he wiggled his way out of their embrace.

"kang taehyun will forever be a good boy," beomgyu chortled and received a death glare from taehyun.

"stop skipping school, you idiot. you still need to graduate," taehyun nagged as beomgyu playfully imitated him.

"do you guys want to eat dinner together after detention? it's on me," yeonjun asked shyly but the others' heads were already perked up and turned towards him the moment he mentioned ' dinner '.

"of course!" the boys responded excitedly as yeonjun returned a smile of hope. perhaps their friendship could be rekindled after all.

a man stood at the entrance of the detention room smirking to himself as he watched the boys reunite. his eyes glanced at yeonjun, his smirk turning into a hysterical smile.

"choi yeonjun, the beginning and end of their problems. they don't even know what's coming to them. i doubt that they remember what they've done," the man thought, laughing to himself as he walked away from the classroom.