04| The Falls

***

Her eyes had been scanning the gallery over and over again looking for him. The butterflies in her stomach hadn't calmed down since she left home and Daniella's nerves were practically bursting with the thought of seeing the handsome man again.

Although the past few days had been busy with final preparations for the gallery, she still managed to daydream about Romeo. As fleeting as that might be. She was currently standing with her good friend Julian, who was rambling on about his favourite display. She was trying to listen-she really was but Daniella couldn't concentrate.

"Are you okay? This is the fifth time you've zoned out on me." Julian tapped her shoulder. His eyes followed her gaze to the entrance.

"I'm so sorry Julian, I'm just waiting for someone."

"Who?"

"No one important. Just some random guy I met." She lied right through her teeth. Daniella told her friends everything but she made an exception this one time.

"Oh." Julian raised an eyebrow at her. "Doesn't seem like no one important if he's got you all anxious." He softly chuckled and Daniella bit her lip trying to hide her smile.

Jade had convinced her to buy a black dress that ended mid-thigh. Widely placed lace stretched across her collar bones, shoulder, and kept the dress in place. Jade also her a dark nude lip with soft eyes and had managed her thick hair into an updo.

From the corner of her eye, she watched another minute pass on the grand clock. Just when she thought Romeo wasn't showing up, her brown eyes locked with green ones across the room and she couldn't keep the smile off her face.

***

Romeo had thought of her a lot the past few days, but nothing was as good as seeing her in person. He had gone as far as to buy a new button-up shirt and actually planned on behaving like a gentleman.

Anyone who met Romeo knew he was far from a gentleman, but she didn't have to know that. As soon as he gave her a faint smile and started making his way through the gallery and towards her, everything else became irrelevant.
The soft noise of the crowd was gone, the words coming out of Julian's mouth forgotten, and the smooth background music wasn't even there. It was just them.

Daniella looked much more beautiful than he remembered. The dress was a stark change from the jeans and sweater he had last seen her in.

His eyes moved over her body and onto the person next to her. The tall dark-skinned man was talking but she clearly wasn't paying attention. Romeo sized him up. It was a habit he had since he was a child. 

The man next to her looked like he could pack a few punches but he would have no chance against the gun tucked in Romeo's pant leg. The thought satisfied him. He knew he shouldn't care, but the man's close proximity didn't sit well with him. Was he her date? It didn't matter if he was. Romeo planned on snatching Daniella away.

"Hi, Daniella." He stood in front of her and took her hand, giving her a firm handshake. His calloused skin on her was soft. "You look beautiful." Romeo was making his intentions clear just in case this man was her date.

"Hi again, I'm glad you could make it. This is my friend, Julian. Julian this is... Romeo." 

"Nice to meet you." Julian stretched out his hand in an attempt to be friendly, but his suspicious eyes said anything but that.

Romeo shook his hand a little too hard and simply nodded. He focused his eyes back on a woman in front of him. She was the one he was here for. "You look wonderful. The exhibit looks wonderful too. Your team pulled it together really well."