16 | How Bad?

Double update today :)))

***

The smell of warm pizza filled her new apartment. Romeo paid the delivery guy and shut the door and bought in two boxes of cheesy goodness to the kitchen.

Her apartment. She couldn't stop saying those words. Just like she couldn't stop looking around her new living space and admiring her furniture. Finally, she was out of her parent's house. As much as she loved her mom and dad it's a relief not having them breathing down her neck. Of course, Nate had shed a few tears but that was inevitable.

Her apartment. Well technically it was hers and Jades but that made it even better.

The moving truck had brought all her things in, it was just a matter of bringing them up assembling it all. And tomorrow afternoon, Jade will be moving her things in.  Danny had gone back downstairs to grab her toolbox from her car when she saw Romeo's missed calls. She wasn't sure if she should be touched that he cared or be worried that he freaked out over something so trivial...

Either way, his concern was heartwarming.

Daniella pulled out two cans of cold beer from the fridge and placed them on the counter next to the pizza and sat down while Romeo placed a plate in front of her.

Together, they had put most of the apartment in a few hours. Well, he did most of the work while she secretly ogled him. He easily hauled her boxes up the stairs while she held the door open. She watched his hands screw, hammer and do all types of handyman things. His big hands with long fingers, thick strong arms and muscles made from hard work moving across her apartment and belongings stirred feelings in her stomach. Clearly, he knew how to work with his hands. Hands that pulled her into a bone-crushing bear hug the second they laid eyes on each other.

The balcony was open and the curtains were floating from the wind. The view was amazing. Not as good as the view from Romeo's apartment, but fairly decent. From here, she could see her college campus and if she ever needed them, her parents lived thirty minutes away.

Despite the day's work, Romeo didn't break a sweat. Daniella could not say the same. She took a quick shower while Romeo ordered food. Now assembled at the newly built table, they dug into the pizza while an episode of Shameless was playing on Daniella's laptop.

Even the way Romeo ate was sexy. Resisting the urge to shovel down the pizza like a pig and match his grace, Daniella made sure to take small ladylike bites.

Throughout the evening, she caught Romeo on his phone typing away in what seemed to be frustration and intense concentration. When it became clear neither of them were paying attention to the show, she decided to start a conversation and quench her curiosity. "So, what were you doing today? I mean before you came here?"

He didn't hesitate before responding, "Nothing important, just collecting some paperwork for my boss."

Finishing off his beer, Romeo got up from the seat and picked up his plate. "Are you done eating?" When she shook her head yes he picked up her plate as well.

Daniella's eyes followed him as we took both their plates to the sink and started rinsing.

On the car ride to her new apartment, Romeo had promised himself that he would start to distance himself from Danny as soon as he was confident she was safe. Yet that idea immediately proved impossible when he saw Daniella open the door with a wide smile. He couldn't ignore the immediate relief and rush of serotonin just seeing her face gave him. How can he let go of someone who meant so much to him? Who else will make him feel this way?