11| Nightmare

***

He felt the terror before the danger came. Everything was dark and calm. Too calm. His heart started racing, Nate honestly thought it would beat right out of his chest. Spiders were crawling under his skin and his body was preparing itself for something. He knew what was happening. This was just a night terror, he had this same nightmare dozens of times before but each time was more blood-curdling.

There was no physical danger, it was all mental.

He was waiting for it to happen, it would happen just like last time and the time before that and the time before that. It would come for him, Nate could feel it in his bones. Voices whispering around him but they were too low and raspy for him to make out.

Then it pounced. Every pore on his body filled with terror and Nate wanted to jump out of this dream but he couldn't. In his nightmare- a shadow figure was grabbing him. His physical body was coated with a layer of sweat, but he was freezing. His chattering teeth were the only noise in the entire room. Small fists clutched onto the sheets in a death grip. Danny wasn't there. He could feel it. Even his teddy was missing. There was no one and nothing he can hide behind. There was no one to shield him from the dark.

He didn't know what it was or why it kept on coming for him, but this same creature haunted his dreams time and time again. This monster was just a feeling of panic disguised as a shadow by his mind. A fragment of his imagination bought to life, at least that's what all the doctors say.

Many kids had imaginary demons under their bed but he was in his head. It taunted him during the day and came alive at night. His breathing escalated and just when he thought he couldn't take more, Nate woke up with a scream on his lips and tears in his eyes.

***

When he managed to fall asleep Romeo had what could be the best rest of his life. He had woken up fully rested and satisfied after a good six hours of dreaming. These days Romeo was excited to wake up to see another day.

With Daniella in his arms, the sunlight falling across her peaceful face, Romeo had concluded; he had been waiting for this girl for a very long time. Someone to think of while falling asleep. Someone to dream about. Someone to wake up to.

He coiled her braid around his hand, the slow rise of her chest making him feel at peace. The morning sun made her brown hair look like a halo around her head. Romeo has only known her for a short while but he couldn't imagine not having her there. Life was so much duller a few weeks ago. He just didn't realize it at the time. She made Romeo look forward to the little things. Like holding her hand, or making her smile. The smallest gestures made him feel alive. Like leaving her breathless with his kisses and tracing the lines of her palm.

He had never intended for his feelings to go so deep, but it was inevitable. Nothing was more certain than this one thing; he was going to fall in love with Daniella Warren. He could feel it. This- whatever it was between them could only end one way, but he would keep her around for as long as possible and cherish every moment.

He would try to make her feel good. Romeo would try his best to be someone she deserves even if he's not. The thought of lying to her felt wrong but he's lied so many times before, what difference would this lie make?

At least he knew where to start; breakfast.

---

The first time Daniella woke up, she thought she was floating in a dream. Stong arms around her. A hard chest behind her. After a few minutes of slipping in and out of consciousness, she fell asleep again.

The second time she woke up, she was alone. This time she was up for good. She yawned, stretching her arms above her head, the memories from last night were the first thing on her mind. Romeo's silhouette was on the spot beside her, but instead of him, Caramella was peering up at her. She could smell breakfast.