08 | Calm Before The Storm

I hope you had a good weekend and are holding up well while in quarantine. ❤️❤️

***

The sound of her phone ringing woke Daniella up. She groaned and opened one eye and met Nate's peaceful face. He had drool at the corner of his lip but he still looked adorable. Her arm was slung over his hip and he was clutching onto his teddy bear like it was a lifeline. A textbook was on the other side of her body and it was digging into her back at an awkward angle. Ouch.

Little Nate had come to her a few hours ago when he couldn't sleep, he does that often. He has a fear of the dark and suffers from nightmares. Daniella being the caring sister that she is, couldn't refuse and she cuddled Nate until he fell asleep. She didn't mean to fall asleep herself but after a while, her eyes closed and she drifted off.

Before the ringing could wake him up, Daniella snatched the phone from under her pillow and saw the caller ID; Romeo. Why was he called after he stood her up? She declined the call and texted him instead.

Daniella: do you know what time it is?

Romeo: 12:51?

Daniella: I'm not impressed :/

Romeo: I'm so sorry Daniella, my phone broke and I had to get a new one. I didn't mean to leave you waiting.

Daniella: but that still doesn't explain why you're calling me at this ungodly hour.

Romeo: look outside.

She slowly slid out of her bed careful not to wake Nate and tiptoed over to her window. Placing her hands on the cold ledge, she peered out into the dark. Her eyes spotted a familiar person standing against a tree.

All her doubts were gone and her heart skipped a beat when Romeo gave her a crooked smile and gazed up at her. Did he jump the fence? The night sky was dark but the street lights lit up his face. She completely forgot about what Julian had told her and she bit back a smile. Daniella wanted to be mad, or at least slightly pissed, but how could she when it wasn't his fault, and he was being so nice...

He looked down and typed something into his phone and her phone lit up in her hand.

Romeo: Can you come out? I know it's late but I want to see you.

Of course, she was going to go with him, she wasn't an idiot. Well.. maybe she was, but his dimples were practically blackmailing her. She didn't know it was possible to be so easily smitten by a smile.

Daniella: If only my name was Juliet, this would have been iconic. Give me 10 minutes.

He looked down and typed something else.

Romeo: Wear something warm

Looking at Nate for a second, Daniella walked to her closet. She put on a pair of jeans and a sweater over her shirt and combed through her bed head. Of course, no one likes bad breath so she walked into her bathroom and brushed her teeth in the dark and washed the sleep from her face. This is as good as it can get at the moment.

Nate was still sound asleep so she pulled the blanket up to his neck and gave his chubby cheek a small kiss.

"I'll be back before you notice." She muttered to her silent room. Daniella sat down at the bottom of her bed and put on a pair of sneakers.