14| Imposter

Let me tell ya, writing is tough work :/ It's not as easy as I remember and I'm lacking motivation- hence the slow updates. Anyways, online school is seriously kicking my ass.

I hope everyone is staying safe during the quarantine. <3

***

The streak of warm weather in Chicago had broken The sky was cloudy and a chill draped the city. Tiny drops of water hit the windows of his car. The sound of the water tapping in a natural rhythm calmed him. It was a perfect day to stay in bed with Daniella. She must be cold, he knew he was feeling the chill.

Romeo was parked outside a five-star luxury apartment building. To be specific, the building Luca Valdezi was staying at. Xavier had mapped out Luca's schedule, the underboss was a meticulous man. Very predictable. Everything he did was perfectly timed and organized.

Romeo leaned against the seat, fingers drumming the wheel and his eyes focused on the garage door across the street. Every day around 6:30 p.m. Luca leaves his temporary home to visit a club owned by Stefan. This means his BMW should be rolling out through the garage doors any minute now.

After three days, Romeo and Xavier had concluded why Luca was here in the city. Some of Luca's associates had stepped out of line and gone so far as to embezzle from the boss and work with members of Gerard's trade. Nothing that couldn't be easily handled, it was some minor gangs acting up because they were tired of being fucked over by the higher uppers. Luca's job was to sniff them out and leave a message for anyone else who thinks about acting up. That, and he was here to throw Romeo off.

Luca found the perfect place to start his investigation; The Nightingale. Romeo already knew the people who ran it were corrupt. They frequently hosted drug trades for Gerard. It was funny how easily they were able to turn on Stefan. Gerard's twin was seriously slacking off. His name just didn't hold the same sense of authority and fear that it used to.

It was easy for Xavier and Romeo to work out a deal with the owners of the Nightingale. They would give Romeo Luca and in exchange, Romeo would put in word for more business to come to the Nightingale.

Xavier, through Romeo's earpiece, spoke up, "Please, explain your genius plan to me again?"

Romeo sneered at his phone. "Seriously? Again with this shit? It's fucking simple. I trap him in a room until he reveals something, if he doesn't you and the boys step in and we take him down to the warehouse."

"Okay, okay, I know that but I still think you're being too confident. There has to be a better way."

Romeo knew the plan was flimsy, but Leo and Stefan have been on his ass about leads. And for the first time in... well ever Romeo had no idea how to carry out his order."Nightingale guys are our backup."

"You seriously trust those sons of bitches?"

"I trust that they'll let us do our jobs and turn a blind eye while I'm in there."

Luca may be a faithful man with his hand wrapped around Stefan's dick, but he was still a man. Everyone had their breaking point. Romeo was hoping to bring Luca to that point hopefully today. Their time with Zack was a complete waste but this time he wouldn't fail. He couldn't afford to. They were bound to get something out of this, whether they beat information out of Luca or if they dangle his life in front of Stefan.

"Alright, alright, " He nonchalantly replied. "Just double-checking."

Romeo wasn't even going to bother scolding him. How Xavier survived this long was a mystery in its self.  He just had this golden streak of luck.