16 | I work alone

Romeo couldn't help but grin as he walked out of his car, tossing his keys to the valet. He walked into a dim-lit and classy restaurant with a bar and dance floor, dressed accordingly in black jeans and a light cotton button-up.

Although his exterior looked focused and sharp, his interior was like a little puppy longing for its master. Everything about Daniella made it seem as if she was created for him and only him. Hell, things were going perfectly for him. But there was a nagging fear in the back of his mind. Soon enough, Romeo is bound to make a mistake that would hurt them both.

Now that he was away from her, he could finally think clearly. Was it safe to continue this relationship when there was so much at stake? What was to say she would still want to be around him when she found out he was a professional criminal.

He had to stop thinking about his uncertain future when he spotted familiar faces sitting at a table placed at the end of the room.

He pulled out a seat and sat directly in front of Gerard. Five people were sitting at the circular table; Gerard, three of his men, Xavier on his right and one empty seat on his left. He only recognized one man as Gerard's associate. His other guards were scattered amongst the other tables near them, all the other tables were vacant of usual customers.

Not caring for small talk, Gerard propped his elbows on the table, his face grim. "Where are they?"

Romeo simply shrugged his shoulders and replied calmly. "I haven't found them yet." He seemed much more put together than Gerard on this occasion. Maybe because Romeo didn't have to worry about his brother snatching away his empire from his grasp using two kids.

"Why is that?" He put up one finger and smiled like a lunatic. "Wait, I know!" His smile widened and he leaned more into the table. Gerard crossed his legs and intertwined his fingers, resting his chin on them.

His mood changed in a split second. A lot was off about him and everyone could tell. Xavier, who was playing with his thumbs under the table knew it. Gerard's men, who were looking at each other warily knew it. And Romeo knew it.

"Ronny, pull up the videos!" He was still staring at Romeo, his eyes twinkling with malice. It was a scary sight and Romeo was concerned. Is your boss going crazy? Now, what was something to worry about?

The big burly man next to him mumbled under his breath. "My name is Ricky." He reached under the table and pull out an iPad, and fumbled with the screen.

Gerard glared at Ricky and sneered, "Does it look like I fucking care? Ricky." He spat out his name, fuming. Gerard was sweating profusely. His forehead was glistening and the fabric covering his underarms was damp as well all his chest area.

Ricky grumbled and shoved the iPad in front of Romeo. "Swipe to the left." His deep voice was gruff and Romeo wondered how a big man like him even fit in the chair. Surely he was uncomfortable.

The hitman took the black device in one hand and swiped left as directed. What he saw made his teeth grind and he felt a ball in the back of his throat. Right there, on the screen was a picture of Romeo and Daniella eating gelato at the ice cream parlour. Daniella was laughing and holding his hand. In the picture, both of them were unaware of the security camera pointed at them from the ceiling.

He swiped again and there was a video. Pressing the play button, he tried to control his anger. It was footage of Daniella in her new apartment. The view was from directly across the street and her body was seen through a slightly cracked open window. In the video, she paced around her new room and he recognized her shirt as the one she was wearing this morning. He had seen her in that shirt minutes ago. This must have been just now.