15 | Traffic

***

Ringgg. Ringgg.

She still wasn't picking up. Romeo's heart was beating almost as fast as his car on the freeway. He was swerving through traffic, one hand on the wheel and his phone in the other. Exceeding the speed limit some more, Romeo dialled the number again but to no avail.

He felt so out of tune with his body. His entire being felt light. Tiny beads of sweat dripped down his forehead. Fighting the urge to lash out at the world, he clutched his phone even tighter. Then he heard police sirens growing close. He was forced to stop his car alongside everyone else on the road. Of course. Just his fucking luck.

Ringgg. Ringgg.

There was still no answer. He threw his head back, arms and legs shaking from adrenaline. Romeo was ready for a fight, he was ready to fight for his girl. But he was stuck in fucking traffic.

"Fuck, fuck, fuckkk!" He groaned, watching the police cars zoom by impossibly slow. Wasn't there a fucking emergency they had to rush to? Because he sure as hell did. He shut his eyes taking in deep breaths, attempting to calm himself but failing.

The events of the last few weeks flew through his mind as he tried to pinpoint where everything went wrong. Things were going great between them a couple of hours ago. Hell, things were even perfect. As perfect as his life can get. Now he didn't know what was happening.

His eyes shot open when he heard firefighters coming, trailing behind the cop cars. "Fuck!" His vein bulged on his forehead out of anger. It was at that moment his phone connected to Daniella's. He froze and held his breath waiting for the worst but there was no sound on the other line. With his stomach in his throat, he blurted.

"Danny, baby?!"

"Hello?" She inquired, her voice confused but calm. Not the scared tone he expected. "Is everything okay?"

Romeo let out a deep breath and closed his eyes. The sound of her voice released the weight that was pressing down on his chest, constricting his heart. He ignored her question.

"Where are you? Are you okay?"

"Yeah... I'm okay. Are you okay?" He could hear the confusion in her voice.

Romeo bit the inside of his cheek. Eleven missed calls must look strange, he didn't have an excuse. Hoping he didn't scare her, Romeo constructed a bull shit excuse.

"I'm fine. You always pick up on the first ring so I got worried when you didn't." The traffic started clearing up slowly and Romeo put her on speaker while texting Xavier, letting him know she was okay.

"Where are you?" He stopped the car at a red light. Where ever she was, he had to go. Just to make sure she was okay, he wouldn't feel at peace until he sees her in person, unharmed and safe.

"I'm moving things into the new apartment right now. My phone was in my car, that's why I couldn't pick it up." Makes sense.

"Send me the address, I'm coming to help you."

"Uh, are you sure? You don't have to, I'll be fine on my own."

Kind, considerate. Another thing he loved about her.

"Yes. I'm not letting you do the heavy lifting on your own. You should have asked me for help before you started." He didn't realize she was packing and moving on her own. He should have hired a moving service for her. Or moved their schedules around so he could be of service.

"But I'll manage-"

"Don't fight me on this Danny, send me the address." He already had the address, when she told him she was moving he had someone compile a list of all the apartments she was looking at and had been informed when she finalized her decision. "Please." He choked out hoping shell agree because he was showing up either way.

"Alright, alright, see you soon."

He opened his mouth to ask if she would stay on the line while he drove, but she hung up quickly. It took everything in him not to call her up again.

She sent him the address and Romeo tried his best not to run over people on the road again to get there as quickly as possible. Even though she had reassured him that there was no immediate danger to her life, Romeo couldn't help but feel scared. Anything could happen. And he certainly couldn't leave her side tonight while she was vulnerable and alone in her new apartment.

His mind quickly started to plan how he would put a security detail on her. Someone to discreetly follow her movements- keep an eye on her apartment at night. He would happily do it himself but he was going to be busy planning Luca Valdez's murder.

That man wasn't going to threaten the most important thing in his world and then continue to breathe air. Romeo was slacking before but now he had an invaluable incentive to get Gerard's work done and remove the threat to himself and Daniella.

He had put up a target on her back. Admitting that felt devastating. For the first time, he had gone against what his brain told him and followed his heart. Look at where that poor decision has brought him.

If logic was a person, Romeo would beat that mother fucker to a pulp for not interfering when he saw Daniella for the first time at the museum. All his years in The Mafia had taught him to be a practical and critical thinker. He knew what was best for her and him but Romeo threw all caution to the wind when it came to Daniella simply because she made him happy.

No person or thing could make Romeo as happy as Daniella makes him. The past few weeks have possibly been the best of his life, no question about that. But happiness just isn't for him, because he's going to have to let her go. For her safety.

***

Short update today but I just wanted to get something out. I hope everyone is staying safe during the pandemic. Have a great day, the next update will be soon  <3

***