18| Julian

Her friend was standing there with his usual handsome smile, a bottle of wine, and flowers in his hands. Tulips. She quickly regained her composure and opened them wide to invite him into the house.

"You didn't tell me about this!"

He stepped in, his wet shoes leaving prints on the hardwood floor. "Well, we've both been occupied, haven't we? And I wanted to surprise you." Julian winked.

"I guess," She laughed it off not wanting to seem awkward. Daniella took the flowers when he offered them to her. "Thanks for the flowers, are trying to make a good impression on my parents?"

He chuckled, taking off his jacket. "Maybe I just wanted to bring flowers for a pretty girl. Besides, your dad already loves me."

Her parents started approaching the foyer, so he lowered his voice. "Jade called earlier, said things weren't going well with your guy so I bought you some chocolate too. It's in my car for later."

The dull ache in her chest returned and her happy mood flattered. Well, no one said this would be easy. There was no reason to push down her feelings if they would only boil and spillover. She'll feel all the feelings and even cry it out if need be. But later. When she was home alone with chocolate to comfort her and no one around to watch her pride burn to ashes. For now, she'll have to be strong and put on a smile for her parents and their guest.

And of course, little Nate who was standing at the end of the hall watching the scene. As usual, he was far away, choosing to shy away from strangers. But he shuffled forward when Daniella beckoned him to come.

He waddled slowly, his bare feet making sounds on the floor. He hid behind her legs hugging his teddy bear, clearly not impressed by Julian. "Who's this, Danny?"

This wasn't the first time they had met. But even last time, Nate didn't like Julian.

"He's my friend and he's staying  for dinner." She replied and stepped to the side so Julian could say hi to Nate after he was done greeting her parents.

When Julian crouched down and tried being friendly, Nate only huffed at him and walked back to the table taking his usual seat and waiting for the food to be served.

"He's not always like this." She said, following her parents back to the kitchen.

Her mother looked back at her, "Yes he is, I don't know why but God gave me two shy children. Nate, say hi to Julian."

But Julian beat her and came to Nate's defence. "Aw doesn't worry about it little fella," he ruffled Nate's thick hair and walked past him into his own seat. "He'll grow out of it."

The little fella only grumbled and ran his own hands through his hair, flattening the unruly curls.

Before sitting down, Julian pulled out Gina's chair for her making her blush. "What a gentleman," she remarked.

Daniella took a serving platter from the kitchen and bought it to the adjoined eating area. There were heaps of warm food already laid out on top of the black wooden table which was adorned with a gray table cloth and matching mats and napkins. The light reflecting off the wine glasses and squeaky clean silverware made for a more classy environment than what she was used to in this house. But the delicious soul-warming food was the same. Fajitas, three-bean salad along with cornbread. Her mothers cooking was definitely something she would miss.

Once everyone was seated, Isaac cleared his throat and held his hand out to his wife beside him and for a short prayer.

"We say our thanks to the Lord before we eat," he explained. "You don't have to participate."