6

Sitting at the large table, I laughed loudly as we began sharing our experiences of our first day in school to dad.

The scrumptious dinner has already been devoured and we were all having tea to digest our food. Alfie was being a bit grumpy, dreading for tomorrow where he would be constant teased by his friends that were already texting him. All dad was doing was chuckling lightly, not attempting to appease his son or reprimand his daughter.

"Sis, honestly your too mean. I wonder how I can even stick around with you." He sighed as he looked at me with horror on his face.

His reputation that he had been building has been crushed singlehandedly by me.

"Because I'm cute?" I replied, poking my own cheeks and giving him a smile.

He scoffed and turned away to hide his small laugh. Dad on the other hand openly squeezed my cheeks, nodding his head with satisfaction.

"My daughter is the cutest. Of course Alfie can't bear to ignore you."

I nodded happily smiling whilst he held my cheeks as Alfie began to tickle me as his petty revenge.

"You. Little. Take my revenge!"

Whilst laughing, I stood up and began to attempt my escape but Alfie with long strides and lanky arms easily caught me, tickling me to death until dad came to interfere and rescue me.

These meaningless and happy things made me slightly regret, how I have wasted many years sleeping, missing this affection.

🌸🌸🌸

The next day, we walked to school again, enjoying the fresh air whilst leisurely strolling down the pavement, only the tittering of birds and the grumble of cars can be heard.

We lived in a suburban district so it was quiet and relaxing. None of the loud city sounds were here.

It was only as we approached the school grounds did the clamour of students reach our ears and a boy came to grapple Alfie, making him stumble a little.

"Yo! Good morning! Fifi~" The boy shouted as his friends behind us began to laugh. Alfie gave him a teasing annoyed look and pulled him over his shoulder as I clapped by the side.

Martial arts indeed looks cool. Maybe I should learn it too...

"Hello, Alfie's sister!" Greeting a young man with fluffy, dirty blond hair. His blue eyes piercingly clear. "I am Markus Grey! Alfie's best friend ever since elementary!"

"Good morning, Markus, Alfie has been in your care since young, thanks." I bowed lightly.

"No, no, no, elder sister it has been nothing at all." Markus bowed back.

"Gosh, why are both you being so awkward for? It's like a wife and mother-in-law meeting!" A dark haired boy with similar ice blue eyes joined in. "Hello elder sis, I am Juno, Markus' twin brother. Nice to meet you."

I nodded and greeted him as we walked through the gates, Alfie being annoyed by his other friends whilst Markus and Juno accompanying me to some small talk about Alfie when he was younger.

Occasionally Alfie himself will bump in, to stop the twins from saying anything embarrassing.

When we entered the building, I met with a wonderful surprise, as we bumped into my seat neighbour, Edward.

"Mornin'."

"Good morning."

"Ah, senior." Juno called out before Edward walked away. "You are in the same class as elder sis right? Why don't you take her to class whilst we abduct Alfie away?" He smirked.

I watched Edward as he raised his brow. Before he could say anything, Markus pushed me away and quickly ran to Alfie and the rest of his friends. "See you later, elder sister?"

This time it was my turn to raise my brow in confusion.

Hah? Why would they...

Suddenly I understood why they were pushing me away so much. Could it be that... They had caught onto something when we were chatting? Shaking my head, I turned to Edward who was still waiting.

"Ahaha, it's okay if you have somewhere to go. I'll make it to class alone, those boys are really too much. I'm not a child anymore." I laughed, pulling the handle of my rucksack.

"We're going to the same place anyways, come on, let's go."

Blushing a little, I followed him to find that his pace was surprisingly slow despite his long legs and it had matched mine, making me happier. Even if it wasn't deliberate, it still felt good.

"Do you need a ride?" He suddenly asked as I looked at him with slight confusion.

"A ride?"

"To school and back. I saw you and Alfie walking this morning. It's a long way and we live close anyways."

"Eh?! Really? We live close?" The information was a surprise as I didn't expect to live close. Most of the students here live more towards the city and not the suburbs as those in the suburbs tend to go to a private school that is half an hour drive from home, deeper into the hills.

At first, dad had wanted us to go there but it really wasn't in walking distance so I denied it. I still couldn't get used to cars and I probably won't be able to ever get used to it.

"So? I could take both of you to school." He offered.

"Sorry. I'm not good with cars so that's why I dragged Alfie to walk with me." I explained.

"Oh, I see." He simply replied, making me look up at him to see his face was indifferent as ever.

"Really thanks for the offer. It's a shame that I have car sickness."

"Well. It's okay." He said, as we stepped into class and Bethany and Amelia came over to greet me and pull me away, showing their magazines until our homeroom teacher came over to begin the day.

This spring was truly joyous and I hope this happiness can carry on throughout the year.

Never had I thought that going to school with my friends would be such a great feeling.