24

As we locked eyes, his gaze softened a little as he tugged his tie uncomfortably, giving an awkward smile.

"Okay! You maid come!" The arrogant voice pulled me back to look at the girl blatantly grabbing onto Queenie's arm as Queenie was trying to struggle. "Who do you think you are! Stop struggling!"

With the sharp voice, Queenie was too scared to move.

"Who do YOU think you are?" I intervened without a smile, looking at her sternly. "What makes you think you can casually come and take my maid away?"

Stepping forwards, I pulled Queenie behind me as she whispered 'sorry' quickly and hid behind me.

"YOU!" The girl's face twisted as she pointed at me and began to shriek. "I am the daughter of Lister Enterprises! Kaylie Lister! We own twenty six of the largest shopping malls in the country! Who are you to compete with me?! Give me that girl!"

"And?" I asked back, a smile coming back to my face. "Does it look like I care?"

She began to stutter incoherent words as her finger that pointed at me made a fist. Her mother coming up to hold her daughter and glare at me.

"In the first place. I've never been to a single one of your amazing shopping malls. Why should I care?" I continued. "This neighbourhood. You really need to be careful and tone down a little don't you think, young lady?"

Holding my face with a bright smile, I looked more or less harmless compared to the thorny women across me.

"YOU!" Breaking away from her mother, she charged forwards as Queenie let out a shriek and the bodyguards that were waiting outside for us rushed in, but someone else was quicker.

Stopping the charging girl right before me, Edward turned around to give me a slight smile.

"Stop creating trouble already. I've never seen this part of you." He said, leaning down slightly to look at me clearly. I froze slightly, holding my mouth and turning away. "But it's not bad."

Using a bit more force, he thrusted the girl back to her mother.

"Don't forget what happened a couples weeks ago. Are you okay, Ariella?"

"Look, it wasn't me looking for trouble, trouble came looking for me!" I pouted not looking at the man before me.

It was a rare sight for him to be fully dressed up, full on suit with gelled hair, he looked even more appealing but he was also accompanying a girl around...

It gave me mixed feelings.

A heavy hand fell on my head as he ruffled my hair. "It's best to go back and tell Uncle Matthew about this. He'll avenge you magnificently."

Nodding, I looked at the girl before me. She was slightly shocked about my fancy entourage.

The guards that came rushing in surrounded us, on guard.

"Young Miss! Is everything okay?" The head guard asked with a grave and loud voice.

Lifting my hand up, I asked for them to stand down. We weren't the only ones in the shop and surely we may be disrupting the shop.

"Just head on outside. I'll be fine. Nothing could escalate at this point, Edward is here. No need to call dad either. I'll talk to him properly about this later."

"Shall we inform Young Master Alfie?" The guard asked.

Knowing Alfie may worry excessively, I shook my head. "Just head on out. You are disrupting the business here."

Bowing uniformly, the group went out orderly as the shop bell rang out as the door closed.

"Well... Firstly, let's resolve this as peacefully as possible, shall we? Sorry, Miss, will you happen to have a room where we can sit and talk?" I asked my attendant as she bowed lightly and led us further into the shop to a wide drawing room.

I calmly took a seat on the sofa as Queenie stood behind me, her head bowed as I gestured for the others to sit.

Edward came to sit beside me as if it was natural and the youthful middle aged woman, that looked like his mum sat beside him.

The two others having no choice but to sit opposite us uncomfortably.

Tea was served as I took a cup and sipped it lightly, letting the silence fall. After a while, I put the cup down on the saucer, making a slightly loud clink in the silent room.

"There's something that I really don't understand." I smiled, looking up at them. "You are neither the daughter of the prime minister, nor the daughter of Midlight Entertainments, nor the daughter of Kings Corporate, or Light Corporate. What gave you the guts to act so insolently in public?"

"Huh?" The girl couldn't help but blurt out.

"You don't know yourself?" I frowned, holding my mouth. "I really pity your parents."

"What do you mean?! My daughter is my precious pearl! We will protect her always!" The woman shouted out, hugging her daughter protectively.

"Even against Midlight Entertainments? Even against Kings Corporate? Do you feel safe just because one of the superpowers in our industry is touring around with you now?"

She immediately shut her mouth.

This woman clearly didn't teach her daughter that there is always something above what they currently have.

"Sooner or later, my daughter won't have to worry about those companies! She'll become engaged to Edward and be pampered and protected!"

Squinting my eyes, I swung my focus onto the man sitting beside me. But then I shook my head.

We weren't even in a relationship.

"About that..." Edward suddenly spoke out. "How come I, the concerned party, has never heard of this myself?"

Hearing his words, made my heart lighter as I turned to look at him again.

"But... You... You barely go out with other girls. You actually accompanied Kaylie to pick out a dress and you are going to accompany her for tonight's evening party!"

"Mum did ask for me to do so..." He turned his eyes towards the girl being protected by her mother. "But, sorry mum, I think I'll have to leave halfway again."

"No... It was my lack of sight." The quiet woman spoke up as she held onto her son's hand.

Immediately, the woman and her daughter's face turned black whilst I could only bite my lip to restrain my smile.