29

"St. Gurenge Musical Academy. The top school for musical studies that had produced many famous musicians. You have been given a chance. Think about it well."

The words of the old headteacher rung in my ears and even now I couldn't resist the temptation.

Sitting straight with both hands on my knees, right before my dad who was holding the bundle of paper, occasionally turning the pages with a frown.

"It's far..." He muttered as he looked up at me with a worried face. "They'll be no one to look after you. You're still young. Just sixteen and your turning seventeen this year. Why do you want to go so far for?"

"Dad... It's an amazing school and it would be best if I went there if I wanted to pursue my career as a musician. I really want to try it out. And..." Thinking of other ideas to persuade the man, I continued to speak. "I can't keep being protected by you throughout my life. I want to try new things too. It's only for a year. I'll come back to attend college."

"I can protect you for all your life... You can live freely without working, I'll provide for you forever..." He muttered under his breath to himself.

"Dad?" I couldn't hear clearly what he was mumbling.

"Are you sure you can go in your current health? Can you leave behind all your friends?"

"There are hospitals over there too, and a famous one is near the academy itself. As for my friends... We have social media and it's not as if I'm going to leave forever..."

Some may think why I am able to give up my current satisfied life just to pursue a meaningless dream that may not even come true...

Everyone around me was amazing. Too dazzling even. Even though my friends were young like that, they all had dreams and were relentlessly pursuing them with their own effort.

Bethany had already started a part time job as a news reporter on the weekends and she was even the president in the media club despite only being a second year.

Amelia was a social influencer. She uploads dance and makeup tutorials online already with a huge fan base.

Ricky... Well he... I don't know what he does... But he is surely doing something?

Edward and Alfie was joining high society social events and were also prepping to be heirs of their own companies already. Working at their own parent's company at weekends and sometimes after school.

Everyone despite their young ages had their lives on track.

Only I was standing still...

I want to be someone amazing too so that I won't fall behind everyone in the future. Although it may not seem visible here, surely as we get older, they'll get further and further away whilst I'll still be protected under their wings but even so, I would have no position by their side.

So I was determined to take this chance. To learn hardships alone. To catch up to them.

My dad looked at my determined expression once more as he finally let out a sigh.

"I won't stop you to do what you want to do and I have faith that you would be able to make the right choices even without your family by your side. But I'll ask you once more, are you sure that you'll be okay by yourself in foreign lands?"

I nodded looking at him bravely, not backing down.

"Okay. I'll respect your wishes. But! You must contact me every day, or if that isn't possible, every other day." He sternly put out his conditions as I agreed to them. In my eyes they weren't too excessive. Plus the words after made me smile. "I'll worry."

Giving him a hug we began to sit down to have some talk about by plans and also about how I was faring with life recently.

Now that I've gotten dad's permission, I had knocked down one wall in the way, but next, there was still two walls standing.

My brother and my friends.

Walking to Alfie's room after leaving dad's study, I entered to see him studying under the small light from the lamp, rarely wearing spectacles which had only made him look wiser.

"Alfie... I'll be going to study abroad." I bluntly said. There was no point of going around in circles.

He quickly looked up at me and squinted his eyes in dissatisfaction. "I refuse."

"Alfie. This is my path that I have chosen to take. Dad has also given permission. You can't refuse like that." I came over towards him and leaned on his desk. "I... Want to take a step forwards in life with my own feet."

"You have been doing that from the start! There's no need to go somewhere so far!"

"No. You're wrong about that." I turned to the enraged boy. "All along, you guys, the people around me have been holding me whilst I was walking. Whether it's at home where you and dad had protected me, whether it was in school where Edward had pushed me to make some friends. I had never taken the initiative myself. If I stay behind, I would just rely on you guys too much. I don't want to be a burden."

Seeing him bite his lip without replying, I turned over to hold his hand.

"Alfie. Please let me experience society alone. I want to see. The world outside my protected sphere. Only then can I grow stronger."

Leaving him with these words, I left the room, giving him some space to think.

Alfie wasn't like dad who was decisive in his actions. He was also harder to persuade than dad when it came to my own problems.

Entering my room, I closed the door behind me and fell onto my bed.

Tomorrow I would tell my friends about it and then I could set off soon.

Schools overseas started in September and that was already close.

In a blink of an eye it was already August and I would have to leave late August to adjust to my new home over there and enrol at the start of September.

Thinking about their faces, I closed my eyes.

How would they react? Supportive? Angry? Happy?

I only hope that they would miss me a bit.