22

Sitting at the piano, I stroked the monochrome keys gently as a soft tune rang out from the grand piano. My eyes were closed as my body swayed freely under the airy tune, every musical note filling my ears pleasantly.

In my dream, I did learn about various things like etiquette and music, so it great that I could still use my musical skills that I learnt in the dream here.

The music teacher, Ms Yvonne closed her eyes and listened silently as my fellow members in the classical music club sat on the side.

It had been a while since I had been back to the club, and coincidentally, they were preparing for a competition so Ms Yvonne wanted to see if I was capable of joining them.

Holding the keys for a slight moment, I finally let go of the smooth surface, my hands suspended on the air as I took a deep breath and opened my eyes to see the teacher's approving smile.

"Well done! Your talent for music is really wonderful! After your absence, your music is really smooth and nice to listen to. I have no objections for taking you along!"

"Thank you, Ms Yvonne." I gently bowed as I got up from the grand piano. When she handed me the sheet, I stared at it a little as I began to think.

Alfie was dad's heir to the company and to be honest, I have no clue of what to do in the future. Ms Yvonne had mentioned about me being a pianist or composer, but I had always been hesitant about it.

I haven't really learnt about much things, and although I loved the piano, what if I found something that I had loved more?

Holding onto the piece of paper, I left the music room and walked absentmindedly.

Extracurricular club activities was mandatory in this school. To the extent that it was classified as a school period. At the end of school, all students had to stay for half an hour minimum for their club activities, only to be excused if they have a reasonable excuse.

As I came to the school entrance, I stood there, looking at the sheet of paper, going over the rules and information that it gave me on the competition. I was given a chance to participate, but I was still a bit hesitant.

Especially with my health recently, I still didn't know whether dad will even let me go in the first place.

Suddenly, a hand came to snatch the sheet in front of me as I looked up to see Edward.

"Hmm? A competition? Isn't that great? Why don't you give it a try?"

"I... Don't really know. In the first place, although I love the piano, I'm sure that I'm not as great other pianists and also I doubt my family will let me go."

"You'll never know if you try. Life is short. You should live it to the fullest."

"Yeah... I'll give it a go. When I get back, I'll ask dad. But the thing is, I don't know if I really want to take this path with the piano. I don't know if I want to as my private hobby, or as an actual path in life."

"For now, you should just do what you want to do. It's never to late to change paths in life. You said you loved the piano, so why don't you give it a go. You're still young. If you change your mind, it's still early."

Looking down at my fumbling fingers, I thought more about his words.

I can always change my mind whenever. I'm still young. I should do what I want to do...

Nodding, I turned to thank him as Alfie arrived at the perfect timing with his friends as the five of us set off home.

🌸🌸🌸

When dad got home on time for dinner, I took a deep breath and put the folded piece of paper into my pocket. I decided that I would bring it up after dinner.

After eating, the dinner was delicious as usual and finally we had our usual cup of tea to digest.

"Umm, dad! In school today, my teacher gave me this." Passing the sheet hidden in my pocket to him unfolding on the way, I looked at him intensely. "I would like to take part in this opportunity!"

It took a moment for him to read it as Alfie sat silently sipping his tea on the side.

"Are you sure you want to do this? Can you do it?" He asked, supporting his chin with both hands as he leaned forwards.

"Yes! I want to try it. In the first place, the thing that I enjoy and am good at is piano so I want to give it a go. I wouldn't know how far I can go without trying right?"

He looked at me silently for a moment before exhaling.

"I'll support what you want to do. But I'll send Roger with you and you have to be with him at all times. If something happens..." Closing his eyes gravely he didn't continue.

"Dad." Grabbing his hand I gave him a smile. "Thank you."

Grabbing a pen, I filled in the form happily as he gave his signature as parental consent and then I put the folded paper away as we began our family session, chatting about our day as Alfie also joined in energetically, in contrast to his silence a moment ago.

Alfie was in the archery club and it was quite interesting to hear about it. It seemed that he also had a competition soon.

"Then, both of us have to go and cheer on for one another, okay?" I suggested, turning towards the young and handsome boy.

He smiled back gently.

"Yeah. I definitely want to hear you play."

Dad also mentioned that he would try to come to see us too, but his schedule was quite busy so if he didn't come, it wouldn't be a surprise.

But, it would be great if they both can come to hear me. To hear what I learnt in my dreams. And to hear my memories from my coma.