Chapter 11

We got to an open area and everyone sat there stuff down. The professors came around quickly tossing sleeping bags to all of us.

"Now that you have all you need set up camp." He shrugged, "Oh and guys on this side, girls on this side. If I catch anyone fooling around tonight then you'll have to be with me." He glared.

"I wouldn't mind being with you all night professor~" The guy James was talking to earlier joked. Kristen, Coby, Karsen, Darrick, James, and I were all standing in a group. I glanced at James and saw his eyes staring intently at the jokester. I smirked and put my hand on his shoulder.

"So who's that kid? You were talking to him earlier on the bus." I smirked giving him the look.

"His names Archer." He said brushing my hand off.

"I see the way you were looking at him." I stood taller and whispered in his ear.

"W-what?!" He blurted, his face bursting into a tomato red. Everyone turned their attention to us, causing him to grow more red and drag me away.

"What do you know?" He asked to nice we were far enough away.

"I see the look in your eyes when you see him. They light up! You definitely like him." I say matter of factly.

"I admire him." He nodded, "I don't like him like that..." He mumbled. I gave him a look saying 'as if.' He shot me a glare in reply to that before a cheeky grin appearing across his face.

"What about those two tall glasses of water fighting over you?" He said elbowing me.

"T-tall glasses of water-" I snorted.

"You know what I mean..." He groaned.

"Nope I don't!" I laughed. "We should head back now." He sighed and nodded in agreement.

-

When we got back the professor was already putting people in groups.

"Mary, Kelley...." He continued to name off people. "You are all on cooking duty." Same as I remember except without me.

"Kristen, Anna, James, Coby, Darrick, Evan, Reda, and Karsen." He continued, "You all go collect firewood." He nodded to us.

Evan...Evan...who is that? I groaned as I continued to pick up sticks. Why does his name seem so familiar?

-
(POV change)

Anna dropped all the sticks she had picked up. She stood there frozen, seemingly shaken up. Darrick, the only person near her, runs up to her.

"Are you alright Anna?" He asked worriedly, putting a hand on her shaky shoulder. Her eyes were wide and watery.

"Anna?" Darrick called out again, leaning in to get a better look at her face. "Forgive me..." He mumbles, and puts both hands on her shoulders, shaking her.

"Huh?" She blurts.

"You dropped all your stuff and were staring off. Are you okay?" He asks leaning down to her height.

"Aha yeah I'm okay...sorry..." She laughed awkwardly. She said she was alright, but she was pale and still shaky. What had shaken her up so much in the first place.

She turned away from the concerned boy and shivered. Evan was the guy she had got with to make Karsen jealous. She got vivid flashbacks of the night with him, making her feel disgusted and uncomfortable in her own skin. She didn't know why, but she didn't want to face him. The only memory of him she has is that. What kind of person is he? She questioned to herself.

Suddenly she was engulfed by a warm force. She looked up to see Darrick with his arms wrapped around her.

"You're shaking..." He mumbled sheepishly avoiding eye contact with a light blush. She widened her eyes, but looked back to his chest, smiling a bit. She felt a lot better. She didn't understand why she did, but she did.

Once her nerves returned to normal she gently pushed him away.

"Thank you Darrick..." She mumbled with an embarrassed blush across her cheeks. He smiled down at her and put his big hand on her head, ruffling her untamable hair.

"It's nothing." He smiled.

"Karsen wait up!" Anna's ears perked up and looked in the direction. Darrick leaned in to the direction too.

"Did you he-" He started before being cut off by Anna putting a hand on his mouth. She wasn't looking his way but if she was she'd see his eyes wide and face red. She grabbed his arm with her free hand and dragged him in the direction of the voice.

Anna didn't really understand why she was following. Darrick didn't understand why he was following her lead. They got behind a tree where Anna unconsciously tugged Darrick into her. She didn't react as she was focused, but Darrick on the other hand, was flushed.

"I heard you had feeling for me..." Kristen bowed to Karsen.

"Uh yeah?" He mumbled still picking up sticks in the area.

"I'm sorry I didn't realize." She said continuing to bow.

"Hey stop that. It's not a big deal." He grumbled to the bowing girl. She stood up with the classic heroine teary eyes. His eyes widened a bit at that and rummaged in his pocket for a crumpled tissue.

"Here...." He grumbled rubbing the back of his neck. How bothersome... he thought. He looked at her dabbing her struggling to dab her eyes with one hand. He sighed again and grabbed her wood from her.

"Go back to the site. I can take it from here." He walked off. Anna looked at the scene with confused emotions. It felt as if a weight had been lifted, she didn't understand it, but luckily she didn't have to think for long. She turned to Darrick finally letting go and motioning for him to go back to where they were.

Kristen stood there now alone. She glared at the ground with her fist clenched so hard that her knuckles turned white.

"Damn it..." She mumbled shaking. She threw the tissue Karsen had given her earlier onto the ground. The tears welled up in her eyes again. She whipped furiously at them with her sleeve.

"Hey Kristen you coming?" Coby called to her. Her eyes widened and she gritted her teeth.

"Yeah I'm coming!" She turned around with her usual bright smile.

"Hey are you alright? Your eyes are red and puffy." He noted to her, wrapping an arm around her.

"Oh yeah- I just got something in my eyes." She  giggled leaning into him.