Chapter 3

THE TRAIN leaves and I'm left all alone, no one beside me to talk to, no friends and no family. Everything left back at home. 

I hope WSU is worth it.

 I know I should be worrying about stuff like who my roommate will be and what I'll wear to the first parties but all I can seem to think about is my life back at home and how I'm not ready to leave it all behind. 

I look down at my fingernails, they're plain and cut to the shortest they can be. I wish Jace was coming with me, I wish it so deeply that I seem to feel something tug at my heart. He would be coming if only his grandpa hadn't gotten sick, his family had to take money out of his college fund to pay for the medical bills, the fund he had been saving up ever since we were kids. He used to collect stones and anything he thought would be valuable just to hopefully put into his bank account. I miss Jace, oh god I miss him so much. 

Should I go back? 

I can't believe I'm all alone in this big scary world. 

I rest my forehead on the big window to look at my new surroundings.

An old woman in the seats beside me suddenly spills her hot cup of tea on to her lap which makes me giggle even though It shouldn't.

 The train ride will take around twelve hours so I better get some sleep. I close my eyes and let my dreams take me away to the life I'll never have again. 

A caught suddenly wakes me up.

"Oh sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." A tall boy with dirty blonde hair and a cute smile says.

I can't help but chuckle.

"Don't worry about it," I say, trying my best to smile. 

"Is this seat taken?" He asks raising one eyebrow slightly.

"No," I say giving him a warm smile, and he returns it. He sits down in the seat across from me, spreading his legs. I look around to see how all the other seats were taken so quickly, but . . . they aren't. I look at him with confusion written all over me.

"I know what you're thinking; I must be here to steal your backpack right? but I'm really not; It's too big for anyone to carry, really." He says and I can't help but laugh.

"No, I wasn't—" I start to explain myself but realize that I can't.

He gives me a subtle yet cute smile before leaning in a little.

"What's your name, pretty girl?"

"Madison, you?" I blush.

"Madison . . .?" he waits.

"Madison pierce, you?"

"Jacob, Uhm . . . Jacob Wilson," he says, his bright blue eyes shining into mine.

I smile awkwardly, Why is he sitting across from me? Why is he talking to me? I've never gotten any attention before especially not from guys. And now this handsome blue-eyed boy is talking to me.

"This is my stop." He says and I feel myself not liking the idea.

"One last question, where are you headed?" He asks, pushing his messy hair back, his black and gray jacket sitting on top of his tight blue jeans as he stands up.

"Uh . . . to college, WSU." I say confidently even though I'm far from it, he looks down with a smile.

"Well, guess what? me too. Maybe I'll see you around." He says and I smile.

"Yeah, maybe."

"Hopefully." He winks and I blush. He quickly leaves the train. I can't help but cover my face with my hands, I'm too scared to look out the window, maybe he'll be right there staring at me, but I just can't help it, is he there? I search the area but he's gone . . . disappeared, as if never here.