Chapter 18

"WERE HERE." He says as the car finally stops in a large parking lot. I can almost smell the difference in the air.

The wind has disappeared and the sun is now shining lightly on our backs. The ocean hits the dry sand on land and I feel at home.

The Santa Monica beach Is more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. I grab Jace's hand and lead him down the surprisingly empty looking pier.

We head to a small booth. "I'm going to wind you a teddy bear." He says with a wink.

"alright man three throws that's all you got." The guy behind the booth says with a smile, the way his dark eyes look into mine kind of reminds me of the way Miles looked at me after zipping up my dress.

Jace hits as hard as he can, dragging me out of my thoughts. I giggle and so does the guy behind the counter.

"Congratulations, man I honestly didn't think you were going to make it." The stranger says and Jace glares at him before handing me the small teddy bear he won.

"thank you." I smile before we finally leave.

"I'm sorry we got here so late." He says as we walk towards the end of the pier.

It starts getting darker outside, the shops start closing little by little and we head towards the end of the pier.

"No . . . just getting to be ere means the world to me." I smile and he puts his arm on the small of my back. We sit down and stare at the sunset. The palm trees all around us look like shadows in the sun and the light waves of the beach hit our feet.

"I have something for you." He says, staring right into my eyes.

"You really don't have to, all of this is more than enough," I say waving my hands around the place.

"No Madison, you deserve all of this and more." He smiles before handing me a heavy gift. It's wrapped perfectly in blue. I look at it for a while before I finally manage to tear off the paper.

"A rose. . ." I smile.

"yeah, I made it myself, I know it's kind of big but, it's a whole rose in resin, that way it'll never die." He says and I can feel my cheeks turning a light pink color.

"It's . . . I love it, it's the best gift I've ever gotten." I smile, holding back a few tears as I hug him tightly.

"Don't cry Maddie, come on it's your birthday," He chuckles.

"you're making me cry."

I sniffle before saying; "you're my best friend."

"and you're mine."

We look at each other before I give him another tight hug. My head rests on his shoulder as I look at the dark sunset in front of us.