Chapter 19

BEING BACK in my dorm after the trip feels like all of it was merely in my head. Sneaking back in through the door, trying not to wake up Chrissy was the hardest part of coming back, that and of course facing reality.

I quickly get dressed before spotting Miles in Chrissy's bed. I take a deep breath, hoping he won't wake up and see me half-naked. I lie down but I know I won't be able to fall asleep, staring at the rose Jace gave me, only reminds me of the memories we had, driving home made me spill more tears than I intend, and saying goodbye to Jace for the second time proved to be harder than the first. I stare at my new phone, a bunch of messages flowing through the screen, mostly from Jacob and one from Miles. How did he get my number?

The message reads;

Miles: "You might have missed Monday, but you're not getting out of this assignment with me."

I giggle to myself at the thought of Miles needing me in the assignment with him.

"HEY, YOU AWAKE?" I hear a voice say, I slowly open my eyes, only to see Miles hovering over me.

"what?" I ask even though I heard the question.

"would you mind turning off your alarm next time?" he asks with a clear fake smile.

"Oh sorry, I didn't hear it go off," I say, my voice low.

"You better hear it next time." He says with a smirk before exiting the door with his black bag hanging off his shoulder.

He shuts the door before I sit up on the bed. I know I'm late and I need to hurry but I can't help take my time in getting ready. I'm too tired after the weekend I had; driving for endless hours took a toll on my sleep.

I sigh, the last thing I want is to spend a whole class with Miles. The teacher tells us about the same assignment that is due Friday night.

"Someone decide to show up?" I tease Miles who decided to sit down next to me this time.

It takes a good minute before he actually replies; "guess so." He keeps his eyes straight on the teacher without even acknowledging me.

He crosses his arms and lays back in the chair with almost closed eyes. I notice the girls in the front row turning their heads just to look at him from time to time which only makes me roll my eyes every time.

"We're working on the assignment tonight right?" I ask and he nods before walking away. Something in me tells me that Miles isn't going to take this assignment seriously.

I walk up to a heavy glass door, I smile at my new find before heading in.

The library is bigger than I expected it to be, it's filled with chairs and shelves full of books.

"When does the library close?" I ask the elderly woman at the counter.

"Eleven pm every day." She says with a kind smile.

I smile politely back to her and head down between two large bookshelves. I feel like I'm in heaven, I've always loved books, especially the covers.

I know it's wrong to judge a book by it's cover but I can't help it and I know at least half of the world would agree. I choose a few books that look interesting before paying for them. I glance at the time; it's nine pm and I need to catch up on homework especially after barely studying at all last week.

As soon as I open the door to my dorm room a dress flies by. I stand in the doorway confused. "Oh sorry, I'm just going through my stuff." Chrissy says throwing another dress over to my bed.

"everything, that's on your bed you can keep unless you want to throw it out of course. I don't know why I brought all this stuff with me. I also put some makeup on your table. I know you don't have a lot of stuff and I just wanted to clean out a little." She explains.

"Thank you." I say and mean it. She's such a good friend, Miles definitely doesn't deserve her. I hang all of my new clothes in our closet, the closet is pretty big, bigger than my old one this whole room is pretty big

. We really did get lucky with our dorm room. After laying out all of my homework on my desk I can't help but sigh.

Miles: "Party tonight, reschedule?"

I roll my eyes at the message, I should have found another partner.

"You going to the party tonight?" Chrissy asks with a smile.

"I don't know," I say, my voice low and unsure.

She smiles. "I have some heels for you too." She says handing me a pair of black heels, the heel looks to be about three inches. I slip them on and tighten the thin strap around my ankles.

"These look good." I smile.

"Miles actually got those for me almost a year ago." She explains and all of a sudden I'm not sure how I feel about them.

"won't he mind?" I ask.

"No, he doesn't remember anything he gives me, plus they need to get out too." She smiles.

I pick up a dark blue dress from my bed and before I decide to try it on I grab the door handle to lock the door but something pushes it down at the same time. I almost bump into Miles, making Chrissy laugh.

"I was coming by to see if you had a ride." Confusion is written all over my face. What?

"So you ready or . . . ?" he says coolly as if barely wanting to be here.

I think I'm more of an ‚or' right now. All I manage to do is smile an awkward smile.

"Let's go Madison." He leaves. Chrissy looks just as confused as I but she gives me the ‚go ahead' smile.

"I was going to stay in and catch up on homework." I start but Miles shakes his head.

"come on, have some fun for once and Jacob is waiting for you there." He bites. I have had fun, exploring the library and skipping classes with Jacob was enough adventure for me.

"Chrissy, you coming?" He asks.

"I told you I have a cold." She sneezes and we giggle. Miles gives me the 'so are you coming' look and I take a few seconds before giving him a small nod.

"I need to change," I say but he huffs.

"your skirt is fine." He says gesturing for me to hurry. I can't believe my night has turned into this.