Chapter 31

I glance at the calendar only to see that the dinner with Jacob and his parents is tonight. I take a deep breath before rushing to get ready. I straighten out my hair before applying a small amount of makeup. 

My fingers hover over Jacob's name on my phone screen but I'm quickly interrupted by a knock. The only possibilities are either Chrissy, Miles or Jacob and I have a hunch which one of those three is knocking, I open the door with disappointment on my face.

"Oh," I say and want to mentally slap myself.

"Not good enough?" he says with a slight smirk.

"No." I tease and his smirk disappears. He shuts the door behind him and walks in uninvited. "Chrissy isn't here," I inform him, backing a few steps away.

"Oh no?" he asks.

"No," I say.

"I know. I hoped I'd catch you alone." He says stepping in closer. The butterflies in my stomach start to flutter and I feel uneasy.

"W . . . what?" I ask hoping he'll somehow change the words.

"you heard me Madison." He steps closer, licking his lips.

"This dress looks good on you," He smiles.

 "but that's beside the point." He's just flirting, harmless flirting like he does with everyone. I don't want to roll my eyes but Miles always manages to get the best of me.

"So what's the point?" I ask determined. 

"Look, Chrissy, and I have been dating for a year now and I wanted to do something special for her. She's been raving about some wooden cabin and I was wondering if Jacob and you would join us, I know she'd love to have you two with us. She won't shut up about her new best friend." He lets out a slight giggle.

"I'd love to come." I smile.

"Halloween weekend it is then." He says before turning on his heel and exiting the room. I sigh before finally hearing another knock at the door as I stand up with an annoyed expression, I see Jacob stepping through the door.

"Expecting someone else?" he asks, raising a brow.

"no." I smile. His blue button-down makes his eyes pop. I forgot how handsome he really was. His strong hands hold a dozen roses whilst his pearl teeth peek through his smile.

"Oh and this." He puts his other hand forwards revealing a beautiful glass vase. "I figured you wouldn't own one." He smiles. "Thank you so much. This is . . .

it's perfect." I say looking up at him. I empty a water bottle into the vase and soak the flowers in the glass vase.

"Ready?" he asks grabbing my hand gently.

"Yes." I smile.

Holding Jacob's hand makes me feel warm, almost giddy like a little kid on Christmas. Everything about him makes me excited and it's a weird feeling.

 I look up at him and smile even though he's focused on getting us to the car. The knot in my stomach gets bigger the further we are from campus.

 I look up at Jacob, who's hand is resting on my thigh and I immediately understand that this is just as nervewracking for him.

"So are you uh . . . are you excited?" I ask.

"Yeah." He says calmly but I can easily sense the knot in his stomach.

"I'm sorry. I'm pretty nervous actually." He admits after a minute of silence.

"Why?" I ask and he chuckles.