Chapter 5

THE SUN SHINES through the window and I hide my face under the covers, the blinds must have been open the whole night. I didn't even notice, it was so dark outside. 

Crissy still isn't back home. She must still be with him . . . with Miles. I have to try to get everything I need today, especially a phone, but for now my mother and . . . Jace will have to wait, I need all my school supplies and well . . . everything.

I decide to wear the same outfit I wore yesterday, I don't want to be seen in anything else, at least for now.

The uber takes me to any and every store I need to go to, and by what seems like a hundred trips to every single possible store I think I finally have almost everything I need.

I can't help but wonder why Chrissyand Miles are dating, they seem like polar opposites. Chrissy is so sweet while Miles is a total player and if there's anything my mom has taught me, it's that Miles is the worst kind of player and that's exactly who my mom fell for. 

She used to tell me stories about how she finally got to date the cutest guy in school but after she got pregnant with me, he couldn't handle being a father for much longer.

I still have one more place to cover before I can call it a day. The mall is crowded but I think this is my favorite mall out of the previous two I went to.

I go through almost every store, trying on almost every outfit, and I think I kind of nailed it. All of my outfits feel like me, they weren't exactly something I'd wear before but I want to now.

I decided on a few skinny jeans, t-shirts, comfortable sweaters, hoodies, tops, a few dresses, and even my very first pair of heels; short black heels to be exact.

I never knew shopping would be such fun, but somehow trading my money for overpriced items is exciting. I look over at the makeup section and before I make up my mind, I walk over to a big makeup stand full of everything I could possibly want. 

I grab a lipstick ‚tester' it reads with big black letters. I've never owned any makeup and this is way too exciting. The lipstick looks good, the subtle pink shade has a slight tint of shimmer it looks good with my facial features.

 I decide to buy a few things even though I don't need them. I manage to find a dark brown mascara that will supposedly compliment my eyes along with a light rose lipstick. 

I've spent the majority of my money already but this is worth it, I definitely don't have enough for a phone; I'll need to get a job at least for a couple of months. I pick up a few accessories by the counter, the perfume quickly tempts me, I look away, I know I don't need any, the vintage perfume Jace got for my birthday is more than enough.

THE DORM looks pretty empty on my side. The desk I ordered has already been delivered, Chrissy must have accepted it. By the time I've set everything up in my new room . . . mine and Chrissy's room, it looks different, different in a good way.

A new me, I need a new start and this start feels good. My new white desk sits right in front of the window, pressed against Chrissy's identical desk, it's amazing that both of them fit so perfectly in front of the window. 

My new mattress cover spreads so evenly on top of the mattress. I decided to go with minimalistic covers; white with little pink roses here and there. The covers I saw in the store looked like a nightmare in any shape you could possibly think of. 

This seemed to be the more ‚fitting' option. Chrissy probably won't be home all day or maybe she'll storm in here again at four am with that boy. But It doesn't matter I can be by myself; I need this extra time anyway. 

I hang our new mirror on the door, it's the last adjustment to our room and it makes everything much better. With nothing to do and the sun almost setting, I decide to put on some makeup. I put my messy hair into a ponytail, which I hate doing but I need to keep my hair out of my face somehow. My mouth hangs open as I apply the mascara, it isn't as scary as I thought, and It really does compliment my eyes after all.

 I glance over at Chrissy's table and notice her makeup collection hoping I can try it out someday. A part of me is glad that school is starting tomorrow, maybe we'll both have routines in which she'll stay in our dorm for more than two seconds.

I quickly get into my pajamas and jump into bed with a smile on my face, I love my covers. I find myself thinking of that boy on the train, I can't remember his name, but his eyes can't seem to leave my mind.

"Jacob!" I hear outside the door.

"Yes, exactly," I say, wait what?

"Yo! Don't go in there, she has a roommate." I hear a familiar voice say quietly.

"Nah dude it's fine." A male voice says laughing as he pushes the door open. Can I get a break? My eyes widen at the sight of Jacob. I quickly sit up in the bed and hide my body with my new covers.

"Madison?" Jacob says with a confused smile whilst Miles looks at us with disbelief.

"You know her?" Miles asks, his voice almost a whisper.

"fuck yeah I do." I flinch at the sound of his cussing.

"Oh, sorry you don't like cussing . . . my bad." He adds It's not that I don't like it. I've just always been taught that it' bad.

"You're scared of a few bad words?" Miles says raising a brow as he leans in closer.

"Dude, back off, she doesn't want you here, you're clearly not her type." Jacob laughs.

"Oh, I'm exactly her type." He says with a smirk. His eyes search at my face for an expression telling him otherwise.

"We're both drunk I'm sorry Maddie, can I call you that?" Jacob asks.

"sure." I actually speak.

"do you know where Chrissy is?" Miles asks unphased.

"no, sorry," I say, looking up at him for a brief second to avoid those poisonous eyes getting into mine.

"we'll be on our way then." He says, giving me a sarcastic smile right before he leaves.

"Listen, I'm sorry . . . he can be a little drama queen when he's drunk but uh . . . if you ever need anything you can always text me, what's your number?" Jacob sweetly asks. His cool tone sounds so confident despite him being a drunk mess.

"Dude, you're asking for her number now?!" Miles rolls his eyes, clearly annoyed, his head barely peeking in through the door.

"Sorry I . . . I don't really have a phone . . ." I say embarrassed. Miles's expression changes to neutral, as he just stands there and stares at us.

"Oh . . . uh, that's okay, I'm not letting you out of my sight again. I'm right across the hall if you ever need anything." He says with a handsome smile.

"Thanks," I say flattered, I hope it isn't obvious. He smiles and leans in, licking his lips. His hand rests on my pillow. Miles stares at us with a horrified expression. My heart starts to race incredibly fast, I've never felt like this. Jacob's breath makes the hairs on my neck stand up as he approaches me closer.

"Goodnight beautiful." He whispers into my hair before pulling away with a slight bite at his lower lip.

"Enough dude, you're even starting to embarrass me," Miles says with a cool and raspy tone. Jacob stands up and smiles one more time at me before heading towards Miles.

"Damn right," Miles says with a grin. Miles drags him out and slams the door behind him. I let out a deep breath. I take a moment to collect myself, there was something about the way Jacob said it.

 'Goodnight beautiful' replays in my head until I fall asleep.