Chapter 74

As we walk towards his now black Lamborghini I look at the license plate. 'Miles' it reads, instead of '99' and for some reason I smile up at him. 

We get into the already warm car and Miles lets a light song play on the radio, one hand on my thigh before the other rests on the steering wheel. 

As we drive the lonely main road, I can't help but think about Stephanie and how many girls he must have brought home.

"Did you bring her home?" I blurt out before covering my mouth.

"Who?" he questions after a long few seconds and I shake my head.

"Stephanie?" he asks, his voice raspy and his tone serious. I nod and my stomach starts to fill with knots at the possibility. 

The thought of them together reminds me of what Chrissy must be feeling when I'm with Miles and it makes me sick to my stomach.

"No, I didn't," he says, his hazel eyes shifting to me for a split second.

"Do you promise?" I ask, feeling like a child.

"I swear." He smirks and I nod. The knots in my stomach start to disappear slowly and I feel at ease again.

"Then how—"

"We dated for a week before I got sick of her. 

I didn't know what I was doing and if I could take it back, I would." He says and my heart flutters.

 I feel selfish wanting him not to take their past relationship seriously but I can't help but feel selfish around him.

"I can't wait to meet your mother," I say and he nods.

"I can't wait to get it over with."

"Miles!" I squeal and he chuckles. Hering him laugh and seeing him smile is so rare and yet I get to see it more frequently than before. 

I feel slightly guilty as I step onto the gravel road leading to Miles's house. 

The last time I went to a dinner like this was to meet Jacob's parents and now I'm here with Mile. The dark home stares right at me, looking much more different than it does during parties. 

The walkway is emptied of cars except for Miles's black Lamborghini. 

We approach the heavy black door before Miles looks at me with a smirk before the door opens to a woman wearing a beautiful white dress, large diamond hoop earrings, and long and slightly curly brown hair.

"You must be Madison." She smiles and I nod.

"It's so nice to meet you, Miles has told me endless things." She says, giving me a tight hug. I look over at him with a smile and he rolls his eyes.

"I didn't know that." I smile knowing that I'm taunting Miles. Pamela smiles, her dark hazel eyes looking into mine which only reminds me of Miles's eyes.

"Sit down, please." She smiles, gesturing for us to sit down at the gorgeous white table. It's just as beautiful as Jacob's mother had prepared it but not as big.

"I feel a little embarrassed that it's just the three of us but I hope you'll forgive me." She says with a smile and I nod.

"Of course, I'm used to it only being me and my mother," I say.

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, my dad left when I was just a child," I explain and I can almost see the sympathy in her eyes appear.

"Well, that's a shame." She breathes and looks down at the table.

"David didn't just leave, he fucked everyone in town." Miles huffs and my eyes go wide.

"Oh, Miles, you know your father wanted the best for us." Pamela smiles.

"And he found it in every pu—"

"Dinner!" His mother exclaims and I can't help the small giggle that escapes my lips. I'm still not used to Miles' cussing and I don't think I will ever be, but he has the habit of being funny even with the disgusting things that come out of his mouth.

"Madison, help me in the kitchen?" she smiles and I nod. I glance over at Miles who smirks, bites his lip, and looks down at my butt. I place my hand on my bottom so that he can't see it and I hear his chuckle right after.

"I'm sorry, Valentina went home with a cold, so I've been trying my best to prepare a meal. But without Miles' help and with the nerves of this dinner, I'm afraid some of it might be burned." She explains and I nod.

"That's no problem." I give her a kind smile.

"Does he usually help you?" I ask, looking at her taking something out of the oven.

"He used to but ever since he hit puberty, there's no talking to him. He's not my little boy anymore." She sighs and I nod, looking at the gorgeous white kitchen cabinets.

"You know, you're not like the other ladies he brings home." She says and my mind travels back to Jacob's mother saying something similar.

"Yeah, so I've been told." I smile.

"I'm surprised my little complicated son has managed to have someone like you by his side." She smiles a warm smile before taking the gray oven gloves off her hands.

"Me too." I smile.

"I'm so glad he has finally gotten out of the rivalry he and Jacob once had." She smiles, looking at the dining room where Miles is sitting, staring at his phone. 

His dark hair is so perfectly placed on the top of his head and his dark features compliment him perfectly.

"Rivalry?" I ask, my heart sinking into my stomach.

"He didn't tell you?" she asks and I shake my head.

"Well, then he better do so." She says with a smile before grabbing a few plates and entering the dining room. I feel like her whole mood has shifted drastically and for a few seconds, I just stand there.

"Bring the roast, would you?" Her voice sounds in from the dining room and I nod even though she can't see me. 

I bring the dinner and place it carefully on the kitchen table before sitting down and avoiding eye contact with Miles's mother. I'm not sure how to feel after her sudden change and I want to believe it's all in my head but my sinking heart tells me it's much more.

"Thank you both for coming . . ." Pamela says and I smile at her but her eyes aren't looking into mine, instead she's giving Miles a small smile.

"But I think we've had enough." She says to my surprise. I glance at Miles who's sitting still in his seat, his fingers under his plate while he glared at his mother. I gulp as I watch the two, not understanding what's going on.

"We haven't had dinner yet."

"Oh don't be silly Miles, we both know you're not here for the dinner." She says with a sinister smile on her face.

"Mies—" I try but he doesn't even look at me.

"Did you—" He starts but his mother interrupts this time.

"Tell her?" she asks, shaking her head.

"But I think I should." She threatens and Miles's eyes go wide before he flips the plate onto the floor, breaking it into pieces. I gaze at the broken dish on the floor.

"Oh, what a mess, you don't want Valentina to have to take care of this do you?"

"Madison." She turns to me but before she can continue, Miles grabs my hand.

"Let's go." His raspy voice travels into my ears but I don't want to . . .

"No," I speak, surprising myself.

"I want to know," I say and Pamela smiles at me.

"Miles over here—"

"Let's go," Miles says louder, his jaw clenching. He stands up from the table and flicks the white rug off the table, letting all of the dishes, wine glasses, and pot roast fall onto the floor, making a mess.

"Well then, maybe another time, I'll have to get to this mess." She smiles and Miles drags me out of the house before I can say anything.