Chapter 5

"What comes to mind when you see that name?" Dad asks after writing "Madonna" on the white board.

"Genius." Rachel grins.

"Icon." Kurt answered.

"Hall of Fame MILF." Puck simply said.

"So, we’re all aware of Madonna’s musical and cultural significance, which is why this week, your assignment is to come up with a Madonna number." Dad smiles at us.

"Yes!" I smile happily and clap my hands.

"Uh, Mr. Schue? As a dude, Madonna makes me kind of uncomfortable." Puck frowns.

"Yeah, she’s smokin’ and everything, but can’t some of us do something  else? Like the guy version of Madonna? Like, you know, Pantera?" Finn asks dad.

"Guys! You know, it’s come to my attention that many of you haven’t been treating the young ladies of our group very nicely lately. You’re disrespectful, bullying, sexist, and I hate to say it, misogynistic." Dad says to the guys.

"I have no idea what that means." Finn simply said.

"When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist." Brittany says to us.

"What it means is, put yourself in their shoes for a change. Culturally,  Madonna’s legacy transcends her music, because by and large, the subtext of her songs are about being strong, independent and-and confident, no matter what your sex. But more than anything, Madonna’s musical message is about equality. And that is something I think you guys need to work on." Dad says to them.

"Mr. Schue, I don’t think we can have an honest conversation about Ms. Ciccone without acknowledging that her images are as indelible as her songs. I would like to honor her contributions by tackling a multi-media project. With Mercedes." Kurt smiles and hi five with Mercedes.

"Great. Go for it, Kurt." Dad smiles at Kurt.

"I’m still not down. And no chick intimidates Puckzilla. I just don’t think her music translates to show choir." Puck says to us.

"Really? Well I, for one, couldn’t disagree more." Rachel grins and walks to the band whisper something to them.

Rachel:
Come on girls, do you believe in love?
Cause I got something to say about it
And it goes something like this

Rachel with New Directions Girls:
Don't go for second best baby
Put your love to the test

Mercedes with New Directions Girls:
You know, you know, you've got to
Make him express
How he feels and maybe then
You'll know your love is real

Rachel:
You don't need diamond rings
Or eighteen karat gold

Quinn (with New Directions Girls):
Fancy cars that (Go very fast you know)
(They never last, no, no)

Mercedes (with New Directions Girls):
What you need is a big strong hand to
(Lift you to your higher ground)
Make you feel like a queen on a throne make him
(Love you till you can't come down)

Rachel with New Directions Girls:
Don't go for second best baby
Put your love to the test

Mercedes and Rachel with New Directions Girls:
You know, you know, you've got to
Make him express
How he feels and maybe then
You'll know your love is real