Chapter 3

Astrid Pov:

I woke up to the sun shining through my window and remembered that Hiccup was gone. I could feel dried tear stains on my cheeks and I also could feel the puffiness of my eyes from crying so much. Who knew I could cry so much in one night? As I sat up in bed, I noticed a folded piece of paper sitting on the end of my bed. I grabbed the piece of paper and started to read what looked like a letter, I recognized the handwriting to be Hiccups. Then I knew that the letter was from Hiccup. He must have placed it here in my room before I saw him go into the forest. I took a deep breath then started to read the letter.

Dear Astrid

By the time you find this and read it, it would be the morning of my final exam, and I probably have figured it out, that I have run away from Berk. We all know that I am the runt of the village that no one wants me around, including my father. I cannot stay on Berk knowing that I am different than most other Vikings. You could say that I am a fishbone in everyone's eyes. I never wanted to beat you in dragon training, to tell you the truth I was trying to let you win but the plan did not go the way that I had hoped. 

And for that I am sorry. Since I will not be coming back, I might as well tell you how I got so good in dragon training. The truth is I befriended a dragon. I know what you are going to say, 'that you can't be friends with a dragon.' Toothless is the reason why I got good at training. That is why I cannot stay on Berk. Since I have two more letters to write before I leave, so I will tell you this. I love you Astrid, and I have loved you since we were kids. I know that you probably will not or do not feel the same way about me as I do you, and that is fine.

 Take care of yourself Astrid and keep being the warrior that I know you can be. Be true to yourself and never stop telling people what you think, cause that what makes you, well you. Once again, I am sorry Astrid. I will miss you; you are one of a kind.

Love,
Hiccup.

I stared at the letter after reading through twice. I realised that Hiccup wrote this before he left for the cove and before I caught him with Toothless. He said in his letter that he loved me; I mean I knew he had a crush on me. But that is all I thought it was. But last night before he left, he kissed me.

The next thing I felt was wetness going down my cheeks. I was crying once again because I knew that I always had a slight crush on Hiccup. But I was told that I needed to find a warrior to be my husband. So, I pushed my feelings for Hiccup aside. But now those feelings are back and stronger than ever. "Oh, Hiccup, why did you have to leave me. I love you too Hiccup." I said looking out my window into the horizon.

Stoick's Pov:

I woke up to the sun shining and me being excited and so proud of my son. Since today is the day where my son becomes a Viking by killing a dragon. I was walking down the stairs to go and make some breakfast when I saw a piece of paper folded on the table with my name on it. I picked it up and read it.

Dad,

I am sorry I could not be the son that you wanted me to be. I also know that by the time you wake up and read this letter I will be somewhere far away. All my life I have been alone to the t where no one cared about me or wanted me around. I was bullied most of my life and was called names like runt and fishbone.

 I know that I was a nuisance and a waste of space to the village. That is why I am leaving Berk forever. I may come back in the future, I may not. Do not come looking for me, because you will never find me since I did not take a boat. You are probably wondering how I am getting off this Island. And that Dad is by a dragon. 

The last raid when I said I shot down a Night Fury, I was not lying. I found him, cut him free and trained him. I built him a new tail fin. Now Toothless and I are leaving together. I love you and I will miss you Dad.

P.S I am sorry I had to do this. But it is for the best.

Love,
Hiccup

I put the letter down after reading three times, trying to wrap my head around it. I could not believe it that my only son is gone, and it is my fault. And this talk about training a dragon is impossible. I mean no one can train a dragon right... That is simply impossible. That only leaves one thing, the Night Fury has taken my son. First Valka and now my son.

I stormed out of the house and into the village "Send out a search party and find my son." I yelled out ordering my villagers. "Mulch, Bucket gather some men and hit the boats," I ordered. "Yes, Chief." Mulch said. "Spitelout gather some men and go into the forest, take the teens with you."

"Yes, Chief." After giving orders I headed towards the forge.

Gobber Pov:

I was just about to leave the forge to go and set up the arena for Hiccup's final exam. When I noticed a letter on my worktable.

Gobber,

Thank you for being the Father I never had. I am sorry about leaving you since you were really the only friend, I had but I do not belong here anymore. I just want to say thank you for teaching me blacksmithing and for guiding me through everything. 

You were always there for me when I was sick, hurt or upset and for that I thank you. I cannot live on an island that does not want me around. Hey... I bet everyone will throw a party once they find out that I am gone. After all, I am fishbone. By the time you read this Gobber, I probably will be days away.

 Do not come looking for me or catch up to me. Keep doing what you do best and that id being a Blacksmith. I am going to miss you the most. Goodbye Gobber

Love,
Hiccup.

I wiped the tears from my eyes as I finished reading Hiccup's letter. Hiccup was the son that I never had. I sobbed for Hiccup. I just cannot believe hi gone. I knew he got bullied by the other is age and by the villagers. But I did nothing about it,

 "This is all my fault." I sobbed. "Send out a search party and find my son." I heard Stoick yell out. A couple of minutes later Stoick walked in with a tear strikes face. "Hic... Hic... Hiccup is gone." He said through his tears. "I know Stoick, he left me a letter."

"He left one for me too." Said the Chief. We sat down to talk and cry about Hiccup.

Astrid's Pov:

I was reading Hiccup's letter again when I heard the Chief yelling out orders to find Hiccup. I did not move from my bed to go and help since I knew that he was long gone from Berk. I laid back down on my bed hugging the letter and cried myself to sleep.

Hiccup's Pov:

It has nearly been a whole day since Toothless and I left Berk. We found an Island that is a couple of hours away from Berk that is if you were on the back of a dragon. But by a boat, t would at least be a weeklong trip to get to the Island. "What do you say bud, want to live here?" Toothless was jumping around in a circle like a happy kid that was told something good. "I'm going to take that as a yes."' I said. We made a campfire and settled down for the night.