Chapter 16

"What?!" Wei Ying wailed. "Why is he angry?" Lan Xichen paused. "Talk! What did I do?" Xichen sighed. "Do you realize how much effort and courage it took him to tell you that? He loved you for over 20 years, but he never talked to you about his feelings in such an emotional way. And he thought you didn't care. It took him a lot of courage, you know. A lot." Wei Ying looked at him, his eyes red. "But...but..." he stuttered, before running back into the room.

"Lan Zhannnnn!!!!" he wailed, throwing himself into Lan Zhan's arms. "Lan Zhan, please don't be mad! I didn't mean to offend you or hurt you." Lan Zhan caught Wei Ying, who buried his face into Lan Zhan's sparkly white robes. "It's just...someone was dying. Don't be mad at me, pleaseeeeeeeeeeee! I love you, I love you more than anything. I-" Wei Ying's voice cracked as he tried to stop himself from crying. He raised his head to meet Lan Zhan's gaze, both of their eyes as red as blood.

"Lan Wangji. You are the light in my life. You are the reason I live. When the world turned against me, you were the only reason I even remotely wanted to stay alive. When I came back after 16 years, you were the only one supporting me from the beginning. Lan Zhan, I'm so sorry if the way I reacted was harsh. But..but..." Without meaning to, he burst into tears, burying himself back into Lan Zhan's robes. Lan Zhan sighed, but didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." Wei Ying mumbled. "Xian Xian was wrong. Please don't be angry with me." he whimpered. Hearing Wei Ying refer to himself as "Xian Xian" Lan Zhan couldn't keep his angry expression on his face any longer. "Its okay Xian Xian, I'm not mad at you," he said. "I'm just confused. Do I matter less than a murderer's sister?" Wei Ying shook his head vigorously.

"Lan Zhan, you mean the universe to me. I'm sorry. Xian Xian was wrong," he whimpered. "Forgive me. I should have put you first. She's dead anyways. You matter most." Lan Zhan sighed. "Xian Xian still loves me the most, right?" he said. The words "Xian Xian" felt slightly foreign to him. He had never referred to Wei Ying that way before.

Wei Ying nodded vigorously. "Of course! In Xian Xian's heart, Zhan Zhan will always come before anyone else." Suddenly, a voice from behind snorted.

"Are you guys done with your cheesy nicknames yet?" Jiang Cheng asked. "Wei Wuxian, your sister is now bawling her eyes out. And you're over here saying how Xue Yin doesn't matter? What about your sister?" Wei Ying bit his lip. No matter whatever he did, one side wouldn't be satisfied. When he went to comfort his sister, Lan Zhan got angry. When he went to comfort Lan Zhan, Jiang Cheng thought he didn't care about his sister.

What am I supposed to do? Wei Ying thought nervously in his head. If I go comfort Yuqi, Lan Zhan will be jealous and blame me again. If I stay, Jiang Cheng will hate me even more. Why, oh why do these two make it so hard for me?! Luckily, Lan Zhan knew his soulmate well, and could tell that he was panicking internally.

"Go comfort your sister. I'll stay here." Wei Ying looked longingly at Lan Zhan, but didn't move. "I'll come with you." Lan Zhan said instantly. Wei Ying nodded, before heading towards his sister. Yuqi was crying.

"Yuqi..." Wei Ying said gently, Lan Zhan standing behind him. Yuqi shook her head. "Go outside. I'll be okay. Tell Jiang Cheng to go outside as well." Wei Ying nodded, and walked out again. Jiang Cheng, who was standing by the door, snorted. 

"That was less than 30 seconds." "She wants to be alone," Wei Ying retorted. "And she wants you to exit as well." Jiang Cheng frowned, but the three of them walked out of the room.

After a while, Yuqi also exited the room. Lan Zhan and Wei Ying were embraced in a tight hug, while Jiang Cheng was leaning against the wall, waiting for her. She inhaled deeply.

"Lan Zhan, Wei Ying. You guys should work on your wedding preparations. I need to talk with Jiang Cheng." The couple exchanged a glance before nodding and walking off. But they didn't walk back to their room.

"Stay behind the wall and eavesdrop with me?" Wei Ying asked. Lan Zhan nodded. "Okay." They weren't close enough to hear every word, but Yuqi looked awfully tired and Jiang Cheng looked displeased.

"They broke up?" Wei Ying assumed. Lan Zhan shook his head. "I doubt it. If Yuqi broke up with him, he would be screaming right now. But he's calm." Wei Ying frowned. "How do you have so much knowledge with breakups? You aren't planning on..." Lan Zhan kissed his mouth gently before slowly parting.

"Of course not. But I had to call off an engagement with your sister, didn't I? Do you still remember how that went?" Wei Ying snorted. "Terrible. Yeah, I see what you mean." Lan Zhan suddenly grabbed his arm, and led him to his room. 

"Hey, they didn't finish yet!" "It's not good to eavesdrop on others." Lan Zhan replied. "And our wedding is in a week. What did you plan out so far?" Wei Ying smiled. "I'm glad you asked! First, we'll have balloons; lots of balloons. Lots of bunnies too. And I want lots of candy, lots and lots of it. We'll also have a water-splashing station where we can splash each other with water. Also, pie-face. Lots of competitions. Whoever loses them gets smacked in the face with pie. Also..." By the time Wei Ying finished rambling, Lan Zhan was dumbfounded. Why did I propose to this man again? he thought. "Wei Ying! This is not a birthday party! This is our wedding! Never mind, we'll go with my plans." Wei Ying pouted. 

"Lan Zhannnnnn, but I bet your plans will be boring." Seeing Wei Ying pout like this, Lan Zhan couldn't help but to kiss his soft lips. "There there, Xian Xian. I'll think of something."