Chapter 20

"What kind of demon is this?!" Wei Ying screeched, jumping behind Lan Zhan's back. Lan Zhan frowned down at the basket as well. 

"I've never seen something so strange," Lan Zhan said, staring at the creature. It had a small body with no eyes, writhing and screaming frantically. It was completely black. Behind Lan Zhan's back, Wei Ying shivered nervously.

"G-get it away from me!" Wei Ying shrilled. "It's creepy," Lan Zhan's frown deepened. "Something isn't right about it though," Lan Zhan poked the creature. The black part slid right off the body revealing...

A baby!

Wei Ying's eyes widened in confusion. "H-how did you do that?" Lan Zhan's straight face suddenly broke into a smile, and he started laughing. Wei Ying frowned. 

"L-Lan Zhan? You never smile, let alone laugh. What's so funny?" Lan Zhan rolled over and doubled up with laughter. Wei Ying was horrified. He had never seen his husband laugh till this day. Finally, Lan Zhan coughed.

"My stomach hurts," he said hoarsely. Wei Ying slapped him gently. "Serves you right for laughing at me! What were you laughing at?" Lan Zhan smirked.

"You were scared of a piece of fabric," he said, sniggering again. Wei Ying tilted his head left.

"Eh?" he said. Lan Zhan kept snickering. "The black stuff wasn't actually a part of the being. It was just a piece of fabric," Wei Ying's mouth widened into a large "O" shape. Thinking back to it now, he felt so foolish, screaming at a piece of fabric. Wei Ying pouted. 

"It's not funny Lan Zhan! I really was scared! Don't laugh at me," Lan Zhan's smile left his face. "Okay," he said softly. "I won't laugh," Wei Ying sighed. "Thank you," He felt terrible about getting so worked up about a piece of black fabric. 

"But...what was the baby doing inside?" he asked. Both of them turned back towards the baby, who had decided to fall asleep. Wei Ying furrowed his brows.

"This baby looks familiar...and so does this basket..." Lan Zhan bit his lip. "I've never seen it," he stated. Wei Ying touched the baby's clothes. "It's a baby girl," he said softly. Suddenly, a pouch fell out of the baby's clothes. Wei Ying held the pouch gently. 

"I've seen this pouch before..." he said quietly. Lan Zhan turned. "Let's go, Wei Ying. We've spent too much time," he said and started walking. But Wei Ying stopped him.

"Lan Zhan, there's a baby here! Where are you going?" Lan Zhan sighed and walked back towards Wei Ying. Wei Ying smiled happily at him.

"Look, doesn't the pouch look familiar?" Wei Ying asked. "No," Lan Zhan replied shortly. Wei Ying frowned. "Lan Zhan..." he said, tugging on Lan Zhan's sleeve. Suddenly, a pouch fell out of Lan Zhan's clothes. Wei Ying picked up Lan Zhan's money pouch and compared it to the one from the baby.

"This is the same pouch!" he exclaimed. Lan Zhan turned away awkwardly. "I know," he said. "That means...This is Mian Mian's baby!" Lan Zhan nodded. "I know," he said again. Wei Ying sighed. 

"If you knew, why didn't you say anything?" he asked. Lan Zhan stared at him with a blank expression. Are you stupid?  Wei Ying broke into a smile.

"Ohhhhhhh...how could I forget? You liked Mian Mian!!!" Lan Zhan slapped his forehead. Unable to handle his husband's idiocy, he finally broke down and started spilling.

"Wei Ying! After all these years, are you still clueless about it? You already know I liked you at that time. Now think about what happened at the Tortoise of Slaughter," Wei Ying pondered for a moment. "I flirted with her..." he said, a small smile appearing on his face. "So this entire time, you were jealous of her! And your money pouch was even hers. I remember now. She gave it to me. You must have stolen it when I was unconscious! Lan Zhan, you're such a naughty boy!" Wei Ying giggled. Now that the confession was out, Wei Ying could tease Lan Zhan about his past jealousy. Lan Zhan's cheeks flushed.

"Let's go," he said, dragging Wei Ying away. Wei Ying stopped him. "Lan Zhan! We can't abandon the child!" Lan Zhan frowned.

"Luo Qingyang will come for her," he said. Wei Ying shook his head. "No! There was a piece of paper in this pouch. Written on it are the words Keep Her Safe. Do you think Big Mian Mian will come back for her Little Mian Mian? I doubt it. Besides, it is just to be safe. We can't abandon a 2-year-old here," Lan Zhan's lip quivered. 

"B-But..." Wei Ying sighed and brought Lan Zhan's face to his hands. "Lan Zhan. Let go of your childhood jealousy. If Mian Mian never comes back, we can adopt this child and bring her as our own. Besides, Sizhui has always wanted a sister," Lan Zhan blinked for a moment before recalling that they now considered Sizhui their son. 

"Fine," he sighed. "But what about our Honeymoon?" Wei Ying looked at him sadly. "We'll finish it another day. This child needs our attention. I know you're not happy that I'm giving up the honeymoon for a child, especially the child of the girl you were jealous of. But it'll be okay," he said, giving Lan Zhan a small kiss for reassurance.

-

When they got back to Cloud Recesses, Lan Xichen happened to be by the gateway. He looked at the newlyweds and raised an eyebrow.

"Back so early? It hasn't even been a day. I thought you guys were going to have some time alone and...enjoy yourselves," he said. Lan Zhan looked at him unhappily.

"We found a young child by a riverside. She seems to need our attention," he said sadly. "I was hoping our honeymoon could have been longer..." Wei Ying nudged him slightly. "You're acting as if we aren't going to go out again! I promised you already that we would finish it," he whispered. Lan Zhan nodded. "Mn," 

They brought the child inside Cloud Recesses. Sizhui ran to greet them. "Hanguang Jun! Master Wei! Back so early?" Wei Ying nodded. "Yes. Sizhui, guess what's in this basket," Sizhui looked at the basket for a moment.

"Fruit?" he guessed. Wei Ying smiled, and shook his head. "Nope! It might be your new baby sister!"