Chapter 24

Wei Ying shuddered at the sight of dead bodies. But suddenly, after seeing the humans, he had a terrible thought.

"Sizhui...where's the baby..." he whispered nervously. Sizhui bit his lip anxiously and shook his head. "I-I don't know. After we saw the dog, I placed the basket on the ground and...I don't know..." he said with a shaky voice. Wei Ying bit his lip to stop himself from screaming. Suddenly Jin Ling pointed behind them.

"The baby! The baby is there!" Instantly, Wei Ying and Sizhui turned around. To Wei Ying's dismay, the basket was in the dog's teeth. Wei Ying's expression immediately changed and he ran back to Lan Zhan.

"Lan Zhan! Lan Zhan! Save the baby!!!" he screamed. "It's going to die!" Lan Zhan shook his head.

"I've been watching it the entire time. The creature treats it with kindness. Nothing will happen." he said calmly. At that moment, the large dog began joyfully swinging the basket around. While Wei Ying was panicking, Lan Zhan was still steady.

"Think about it. If Lady Luo really lived around with this creature, would it really try to harm the baby?" Wei Ying slowly calmed down and shook his head, his mouth shaping into a small grin.

"My Lan Zhan really is so smart," he said sweetly. "I'll go back to the bodies now. You stay here." he concluded, patting his head. Lan Zhan's neck flushed red, but didn't move.

Wei Ying ran back to the juniors, who were already poking the dead bodies. "They've been dead for a few days. A week at most." Sizhui reported. "I'm pretty sure they were shot dead by arrows. Look, there are small stone chips that have been chipped off of a larger thing nearby." Jin Ling added, showing the small stones to Wei Ying. Wei Ying flipped them around and nodded.

"Shot." Just then, the three of them heard a small squeal. The dog decided to drop the basket into Lan Zhan's arm, and the baby, who had woken up, was squealing. The most shocking part was that Lan Zhan was smiling at the baby. Sizhui collapsed into Jin Ling's arms, while Wei Ying furiously blinked his eyes.

"Lan Zhan...rarely smiles...at anyone...but usually...he only...smiles at me..." he stuttered. Jin Ling snorted.

"While technically she's an adopted baby, we could still consider her the product of you and Lan Zhan," Jin Ling stated. Sizhui sighed sadly.

"Wouldn't that make me the product of Hanguang Jun and Yiling Patriarch too? Why doesn't Hanguang Jun look at me that way?" he asked enviously. Wei Ying patted Sizhui's head.

"Maybe that's my fault," he said. "I wasn't there for you when you were growing up. It must have been hard for Lan Zhan to raise you." Jin Ling blinked.

"What about me? Uncle Jiang never smiles at me too..." he said sadly. Wei Ying bit his lip nervously. "Again, my fault. I..." His voice quivered slightly. "I'm sorry," he stated simply. Jin Ling blinked. While there was a period of a time where he wanted Wei Ying to die, Wei Ying had already been long forgiven. 

The trio stood their silently and sadly for a while until Lan Zhan strode over holding the baby.

"Did you guys figure anything out? Or were you just sulking here?" he asked. Wei Ying smiled sheepishly.

"We got distracted by your beautiful smile." he admitted. Lan Zhan sighed. "Boring." He handed the basket to Sizhui, and knelt down beside the bodies. He looked at the small stone crumbs.

"This is very standard material. This means that the people that shot them dead are most likely not from a very rich area." he stated. Wei Ying nodded. "Yes. But isn't it strange that we've looked through the majority of this area, but we haven't found Lady Luo or her husband's body?" Lan Zhan looked unmoved. "Probably because you got distracted and did not look hard enough." he said. Wei Ying rolled his eyes. 

While Lan Zhan continued talking, Wei Ying got bored and wandered off. While he sauntered, he encountered a small trail that they had not seen before. Being the curious person he was, he followed it...

And fell into a deep ditch.

"FUCK!" he screamed as he fell. It felt like he was falling forever. 

Eventually, he reached the bottom, landing on something somewhat soft. While it was too dark to specifically identify what it was, he had a hunch they were bodies. And after feeling around, he knew he was right.

"FUCK." he screeched again. "LAN ZHAN. SIZHUI. JIN LING. ANYONE. COME SAVE ME!" he cried. "I haven't even lost my virginity yet...I'm too young to die..." he sobbed. Just then, the sun shone directly over the hole. He cringed at the sudden brightness. However, the light allowed him to get a clear glimpse on what he was sitting on. Instantly, he rolled off the objects in fright.

In a stack, laid Lady Luo and her husband's dead bodies.

Now terrified that he was going to die alone, Wei Ying quickly scrambled off of Lady Luo's body. Taking advantage of the light, he scurried to the side and examined their bodies.

"No traces of wounds..." he mumbled. "Except for a few scratches on the side of her leg. Almost like something was aimed to hit her, but missed." He turned her over so she was now laying on her back and pulled open her mouth.

Lady Luo's mouth was filled with foamy liquids. Wei Ying shrieked in disgust and looked at her eyes, which were wide open, the pupils almost looking red. In a rush, Wei Ying quickly tossed her aside and observed her husband, who had the same foamy substance in his mouth and wide-open eyes. Wei Ying buried his head into his legs and began wailing.

"Lan Zhannnn, come save me..." he cried. Suddenly, the light disappeared. A shadow was cast into a hole. In fright, Wei Ying curled himself into an even tighter ball. He felt something sharp probing at his neck, but couldn't tell what it was. Terrified, he refused to move. However, he felt himself slowly moving upwards. Quickly, he looked up at what was dragging him.

His eyes were met with a pair of blazing yellow eyes.

Author's note: I am so sorry to disappoint everyone for such a long wait...There are no excuses for it. I think my motivation is decreasing, but I will continue to write these chapters. As I write, maybe my motivation will start coming back. I don't know how many of you are still here, but if you are, thank you very much for your support! :)