Chapter 12 |✔

Derek opened his mouth, his eyebrows furrowed, ready to ask why I was reacting so weird, but got cut off by the Detective getting a call from our UnSub.

"Line six, Penelope. Line six." JJ said as Derek held up a hand, signaling for everyone to be quiet.

I turned around to face Elle and Reid as Hotch and Gideon rushed to them too, Elle pressing the speaker button just to reveal a aggressive, loud voice.

"You stupid incompetent sons of bitches! I don't make mistakes! I am Death, you hear me? I am Death! You'll see now. Tomorrow. Mark my words, you will see! And while I'm taking her, I'm gonna be thinking of you!" He hung up and we all looked over to JJ, hoping that Penelope would got some good news.

"Anything?"
After some seconds, the blonde woman looked at us, shaking her head.
"She said she got nothing."

"Nothing?" I examined Derek, who seemed to be really upset, just like the rest of us.

"We missed him?" I sighed, leaning back on my chair as I continued to roll the pencil back and forth. "At least now we can be sure that he's good at technology."

~○~

I took a sip of my tea as I tapped my fingers impatiently on the wheel in front.
"Well, this definitely has to be the worst part of the job."

Spencer smiled, nodding along as our eyes met, brushing a piece of hair behind his ears. "Yeah, the waiting can really be annoying and frustrating. Did you know that people, who are more empathetic than others are less annoyed? If you can imagine how someone else feels, you will be more tolerant, less inclined to respond with annoyance."

I nodded along, already knowing what he had said before thinking it was time to ask him what was in my head the moment I heard his last name. "Spencer?"

He looked at me with furrowed eyebrows, seeming to be sorry. "I'm sorry. I tent to remble about the things I read and-."

I shrugged, interrupting his apology, seeing no need in it, "I don't mind."

He seemed to be taken aback, blinking a few times. "Y-You don't mind?"

I smiled, shaking my head and taking another sip of my already cold tea.
"No, I don't. I think it's interesting. I love learning new things and every time you tell me something, I pay attention and try to remember the facts as good as possible, so I can memorize them and use them for my studies or life or whatever."

"I've never met a person like you. Who is interested in the statistics and studies I expose."

I smiled, feeling sorry for him for not being understood. "Spencer, can I ask you something?"

He nodded eagerly, turning his body toward me so he could keep my eye contact.
"Anything."

I fiddled with my cup as I bit my lip. From as far as I've seen his behaviour, I detected that he didn't like to talk about personal stuff, so I assumed that nobody knew about his mother and her circumstances.
I didn't want to rush him.
"Are you from Las Vegas?"

He swallowed, nodding slowly.
"Yeah, I am. Why?"

"Well, ehm, have you-." I cleared my throat and looked out of the car.
"Have you ever been to the Bennington Sanitorium?"

His body stiffened as he blinked a few times, taking a deep breath before nodding. "You are the Genevieve my mom always writes about."

I smiled, nodding along as I grabbed the binoculars, looking for the UnSub. "She's the only one who calls me that. God, I hate it when anyone calls me by this name but when she does it? I can't help but think it's adorable."