That's My Girl (Gale Hawthorne X Reader)

Inhale.

Exhale.

Inhale.

Exhale.

"Gotcha!"

You shrieked, flinging yourself forward to escape the hands that had suddenly gripped your shoulders, interrupting your meditation. You turned to face your attacker, eyes wide.

"Dang it, Gale!" You cried shrilly. You ran your hands through your hair as you attempted to slow your heart rate back down.

He was doubled over laughing, that stupid grin you usually adored plastered on his face. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he wheezed, "you just should've seen yourself, you were all like..."

You glared at him, arms crossed as he proceeded to reenact the scene he'd caused. The more you watched him, though, the more you had to bite your lip in attempt to hold back laughter.  Once he had managed to calm down, he made his way towards you, placing his hands on your arms, gently uncrossing them.

"I'm sorry, birdie, I didn't mean to scare you. I know you're nervous," he spoke softly, quite out of character for the boisterous boy, and pulled you into a tight embrace.

Birdie. He knew it immediately soothed you to hear the nickname. Your mother affectionately gave it to you when you were only a few years old, developing a love for running. You were able to run before most of the kids your age, so she said you were like a little bird anxious to fly from the nest. Also, when you ran, you looked light and effortless, like a little bird.

"Gale," you murmured, pulling away from his chest to meet his eyes, "you should be nervous too. Your name is in there as many times as mine is."

"Well, I was going to wait till later to tell you, but I might as well do it now," he said, staring at the trees surrounding you, "I have a plan."

"A plan?" You chuckled, "A plan isn't going to get us out of The Reaping. All we can hope for is some good luck or a miracle."

"What if we didn't go to The Reaping?" He asked.

You took a step back. That's it, he'd lost it.

"What do you mean 'not go' to The Reaping? You know we don't have a choice," you said, eyebrows pushed together forming little creases that Gale affectionately called your "worry wrinkles."

"Says who? Who would stop us from not going?" He asked.

"Oh, I don't know, the Capital? Peacekeepers-"

"Why do we even call them that? They never keep any peace, they just are there to instill fear into people," Gale cut in.

"Will you let me finish?" You groaned, "Peacekeepers, or whatever you wish to call the men in white gear with guns, would be at our doors in minutes. And I don't think they would be bringing a casserole for family night."

Gale sighed, "I'm not saying we stay home, Y/N, I'm saying we could leave."

"Leave?" Okay, now he had really lost it, "Where would we go? They have ways, Gale, they would find us eventually."

"I already have it mapped out," he pulled a piece of yellowed paper out of his back pocket, "see?"

It was a map of District 12 and the surrounding areas, ripped out of a book, and had a distinct red line running from where the two of you lived through the woods you were in now. You traced the line with your finger, all the way to the end. It was in the middle of a gray shaded area. You didn't recognize it.

"Where's that?" You asked quietly, pointing to the red dot.

"District 13," he said, the words sounding like 10 ton weights falling from his lips.

"Gale, we don't even know that it exists, it could be just a rumor," you reminded him, trying to bring him back to reality. "Plus, you have a family. What happens to them when you're gone, huh?"

"I've got it covered," he shrugged, squinting in the sunlight that suddenly broke through the clouds.

"That's it?" You we're getting agitated.

"Look, Archer is going to take care of them until we get to a safe place. Once we do, I'll send him our coordinates so he and Kip can bring them to us," he explained.

"What if we never find a safe place? We could end up on the run from the Capital for the rest of our lives," you reasoned.

"Aren't we already always on the run from the Capital?"

That, you could not argue with. But it still seemed all too dangerous to you.

"Gale, I-" you wracked your brain for the right words, "I just don't know."

"You love me right?" He asked, grabbing your hands in his.

"Of course I love you," you whispered.

"And you trust me right?" He continued. You nodded. "Then go with me. We can get away from all this. No more Reapings, no more Games. Your mother would've wanted that for you."

Tears pricked your eyes, "I know."

"So, let's do it, yeah?" He squeezed your hands in his, his tone gaining back his usual enthusiasm.

You paused for a long moment, starring first at his shoes and letting your eyes slowly move up his body to meet his expectant eyes.

"Okay."

"Really? You're in?" He grinned, moving now to cup your face in his calloused hands.

"All in. There's no one I'd rather be in constant life threatening danger with," you smiled.

He leaned in close, acting like he was about to kiss you, before picking you up by the hips and twirling you around. You squealed in delight, wanting to just stay there in that field with him forever.

"Guess I better go pack, huh?" You giggled once you're feet touched the ground again.

"Well, I kind of hoped you would say yes so I took the liberty..." he pointed under one of the trees to your left and you noticed all of yours and his things packed in a large duffel.

"You dork," you slapped his arm, rolling your eyes, "you're something else."

"You ready for this?" He asked, leaning in quickly to peck your lips before making his way over to the bag.

"No," you sighed with a breathy laugh, "We should probably go before I can change my mind though."

That stupid grin stretched across his face again, and in that moment you knew he could convince you of anything. He took your hand in his as the two of you stared out across the clearing.

"That's my girl."

Here's a little bit of Gale love for @HolyMotherOfAll ! It's kind of short but I think it's cute. Hope you like it!!

B🌸