Chapter 2

"Must be nice
Havin' someone who understands the life you live
Must be nice
Havin' someone who's slow to take and quick to give
Must be nice
Havin' someone who sticks around when the rough times get thick
Someone whose smile is bright enough to make the projects? feel like a mansion."
Lyfe Jennings "Must Be Nice"

Dave

"That ain't no damn puppy!" That phrase woke me right up from my sleep. I looked across the room at the tv to see that Martin was on. I must have fallen asleep before I could turn it off. I don't even remember what I dreamt about.

It took a minute for my eyes to adjust to the light. I've been keeping the light on during the night. I'm not afraid of the dark, but when I was in prison and in solitary, sometimes I could hear noises when there was no light. It drove me crazy because I knew that there was nothing there and it was all in my head. I can't count how many sleepless nights I had because of my paranoia.

"What time is it?" I mumbled to myself. I really need to put a clock on the wall. I picked up the remote that was next to my head to switch off the tv. Then, I sat up and planted my feet onto the floor. It felt ice cold even though I had socks on. They are trying to freeze me up like a popsicle stick in here. I went to the bathroom and turned on the shower to let the water heat up, while I brushed my teeth in the sink. I hate brushing in the shower. My mouth just feels weird after. I stripped and put my shower cap on before stepping in to do my thing. I spent too much time blow drying it yesterday to get it wet again.

After I finished showering, I threw on a hoodie and some sweatpants. I also made the bed before making my way downstairs. I saw Keyshia sitting on the couch with her laptop as she held a mug in her hand.

"Good morning, Keyshia."

"David, it's 1:14. So, it's good afternoon."

"Damn. Why didn't you wake me up?"

"I tried. I shook you so many times before you told me to give you five minutes, so I let you sleep."

"That's crazy."

"I guess I don't need to ask you how your night was."

"It was good. Yours?" I asked, taking a box of Froot Loops from the pantry to make a bowl of cereal.

"It was fine, except for the fact that Ric didn't want to let me sleep if you know what I mean."

"Once you put it on him, he can't get enough. I don't blame him. That's how I was with my ex." I don't really like talking about my old girl because of the way she disappeared into thin air after I got locked up. I didn't really expect her to wait for me, but she could have called at least once when I was in prison. We were the best of friends before we decided to make it official.

"Y'all are so similar that it scares me." I laughed as she shook her head. "I made some hot chocolate if you want some."

"You got marshmallows?"

"Ewww, no. Those things are nasty."

"Really? Even in s'mores?"

"Yes, I just hate how sticky it becomes in your mouth. Your uncle likes them though."