Chapter 22

"Been all about the world ain't never met a girl
That could take the things that you been through
Never thought the day would come where you would get up and run
And I would be out chasing you
'Cause ain't nowhere in the globe I'd rather be
Ain't no one in the globe I'd rather see
Than the girl of my dreams that made me be
So happy but now so lonely."
Akon "Lonely"

Dave

"Where the h*ll did I put this dustpan?" I asked myself. I'm ready to sweep this sh*t into the grass outside.

Wait. I didn't check the laundry room, which is where I first started. When I went there, I found it on top of one of the shelves.

I picked everything up and threw it away. Then, I plopped down on the couch. I'm tired. I've been awake since 6 this morning. I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't. So, I decided to get my chores done. For hours later, all I have left is a load of laundry that currently washing.

"'Cause it's all in my head
I think about it over and over again
And I can't keep picturin' you with him
And it hurts so bad, yeah."

I immediately double tapped on my AirPods. I don't want to hear that song right now, no matter how good it is.

"Bright lights, fancy restaurants
Everything in this world that a man could want
Got a bank account bigger than the law should allow
Still, I'm lonely now."

I snatched the earphones out of my ears and placed them on the cocktail table. Spotify is playing with me right now by playing this Sisqo song.

I picked up the tv remote and turned on the tv. As I flipped through the channels, my eyes landed on the box sitting underneath the tv stand.
*************************************************
It was a week after my arrest when I was sitting on this same couch, trying to arrange a flower delivery for Eva so that she could soften her heart towards me, when someone rang my doorbell.

"Hold on!" I got up to get the door. Through the peephole, I saw Zae standing there.

"Yo Zae. I wasn't expecting you. Is Eva okay?"

"She's good. She told me to bring you this." He picked up a large cardboard box from the doorstep and handed it to me.

"Oh." I was hoping she would have changed her mind about returning this stuff.

"I really thought you were a stand up n*gga. Whatever you did to make my sister cry, you better fix it or stay away from her forever so she can find a real man to treat her right. You're lucky I'm not putting my paws on you. That's out of respect for my sister."

"I know I messed up, but I'm going to make things right." He looked at me one more time before leaving.

I closed the door and carried the box inside. I placed it on top of the kitchen counter and got a knife to cut through the tape. I pulled up the flaps and looked inside the box.

Everything I ever gave her was inside of this box, including the teddy bear I made for her at Build-A-Bear Workshop, the Rolex I bought for her birthday, and all the hoodies she basically took from me after I left them at her crib.
*************************************************
Since then, Eva has been avoiding me like a plague but I'm not going to stop until she talks to me. Even if she doesn't want to get back with me, I just want to know that she has forgiven me.