Amino Writing prompt

The little patter of feet hitting the floor was a regular sound in the temple

The little patter of feet hitting the floor was a regular sound in the temple. After Steven had moved in, the gems had grown to love him more. Even if they still believe he was Rose.

Pearl came out of her room and saw the boy climbing the counter. She stood in the living room and looked at him confused.

"Steven? What are you doing?"

The brown-haired boy gave the gem a toothy smile. "Getting food! Dad says I gotta eat to be big and strong!"

She nodded. She clearly didn't understand why humans had to do such violating acts to survive. She much rather be a gem then anything.

"I see, well don't make a mess," She waved her hand and was about to walk off.

"Come on pearl! Eat with me!" He smiled more. He jumped off the counter and rushed to grab two bowls.

"Steven, gem don't eat," Pearl looked back at him and sighed.

"They don't?"

"No. Not all. We get everything from our gems," She graciously pointed to the shiny gem on her head. "Honestly you should know,"

"Dad said everyone eats! Amethyst eats!" He looked back at her, a disappointed look was made her way as she explained it to him.

"Well, Amethyst is...well Amethyst. That's not the point! Gems don't eat...sorry,"

With that, she left the boy alone in the kitchen as she walked out of the house, to who knows where. Steven sadly put away the bowl and processed to eat alone.

As the years went on, Garnet had grown to be more of a mom to the boy. She was the first to physically show she loved him for him.

Steven was going through the tiny storage thing under the stairs. Boxes surrendered the boy as he threw things from out under.

When Garnet walked in she really couldn't tell what was going on. One box had the boys, baby clothes, and the other had toys.

She shook her head with a laugh. "Hello Steven," her voice had some emotion, something she was getting better at.

"Garnet!" He smiled and stepped out from the under the stairs.

"What are you doing." It was more of a statement if anything.

"Well, dad told me to go through my baby stuff to see if I can find anything I don't want, right now I'm just separating them based on what they are!" He gestured to the boxes.

Garnet noticed he was standing proudly. She also took note of how he was sorting out everything. One could tell he learned that from Pearl.

"I see,"

He grabbed her hand. "Why don't you help me!"

Garnet laughed softly. "Well, I have many things to get done. I'm very sorry buddy,"

He let her hand go and smiled more. "It's no problem! You can help me later!"

She nodded and hugged him. "Of course I will buddy. Have fun,"

With that, she was gone, into the room he dare not go into.

Amethyst was like a sister to the boy. Everything she did, he loved.

She on the other wasn't much help when it came to teaching him things. She really didn't like having to act grown up near him.

"Amethyst! We are in public!" Pearl shook her head. Amethyst was running around at the market, only making Pearl angrier.

"Aww come on P, we're just having fun!" She laughed.

Steven watched the purple-haired gem from the cart, as she proceeded to run around and make a mess.

He tried hard to get out of the cart, but Pearl makes sure the child was safely buckled and seated in the cart.

"Seriously, act older. We didn't save this planet, for you to go running around, " Pearl walked off, leaving the purple gem to mess around.

Steven still tried his best to get out. Amethyst seemed to be having all the fun in the world, while he was stuck in the cart.

No matter how much fun Amethyst was, he always found himself in trouble when they do things together.

When Connie came into his life. He didn't realize how bad his family was. He didn't know if he could truly call them that.

He watched his best friend slowly grow closer to her parents. How they loved each other dearly. How they were all there for each other.

Steven wished for that. Never did he get that feeling. The feeling of happiness, of being loved for him. (Unless you counted Garnet.)

Steven was now 17. Traveling across the nation to find himself. To be alone.

As he looked at the miles of road ahead of him, he thought back to all the times. 

He realized how much the gems weren't really his family. 

A family was someone who is always there for you. Someone who loves you for being you. Someone he could call home.

He knew he couldn't call the gems home. Of course, he loved with them everything he had, and yes he did help them overcome whatever it was, his mom did to them.

But the fact that they put all their problems on him, and how he had to fix them from a young age. He had to be the adult at all times, no fun what do ever.

He just hated how he didn't have a normal life like Connie, or anyone else in Beach City. He hated how he had to beg the gems to do things with him. How he had to ask for their love.

He hated the years of trauma. He hated the family bond that Connie had. He hated everyone.

He hated how Dr. Maheswaran was right. He hated Pearl for reminding him he was supposed to be like his mom. He hated Garnet for not seeing everything was a mess beforehand. He hated Amethyst for putting all her relationship issues on him. He hated his dad for making him stay with them. He hated Connie for not seeing that something was wrong.

He just wanted to be normal.

Normal.

Normal.

What's normal?