[23] Twenty Third Scalpel

JAXON 23

HE DOESN'T even know why he's doing this. He's hugging Macey. She's in her arms, and it feels like he's protecting her. It does feel...right, but at the same time, it doesn't. He's torn. He doesn't know what to do. Pareho lang sila ni Macey. They're both lost...but Macey is not as lost as him. She's lost because of her best friend...and that's it.

He feels like he's cheating with Maxine. Like he's fooling her and he's forgetting their promises and dreams. Hindi niya gagawin 'yun...but seeing Macey, getting wasted, crying...and devastated, he's torn. It's making him weak seeing her cry, and he knows to himself that if he'll hug her, she will calm down.

Because he's he.

He's Jaxon.

But it ends there. It's just comfort that he'll give. Nothing more, and nothing less.

He breathe heavily when she felt Mace hugging her back. She's shaking. He knows that this will cause confusion to Macey. This will give her some hopes, but he knew himself. He knew his limitations.

But he's worried.

He's...confused.

Seeing her crying felt wrong. Like it's not okay.

Pero napangungunahan pa'rin siya ng guilt. He's still in the past. He can't leave Maxine just like that. He promised her. He promised.

"J-jaxon..." Macey was sobbing against his chest. He felt guilty for no reason. He actually did her a favor. Chin talked to him back in Batangas that things like this would happen. Macey can't handle too much stress...and it's bad for her, but seeing her like this, it's like he helped her feeling...wronged. He help delaying things at hand.

"Calm down..." he sighed. He caressed her back, but Macey is at it again. Her grip on him loosened and her knees gave up. He heard her hard and frequent breathing. He panicked.

"Macey!" he called and get away from the hug to support her, but Macey was too weak to even listen. She's just breathing heavily and crying at the same time. "Fuck! Calm down, stubborn!" He said in panicked as he carried her.

Mahigpit na napahawak ang dalaga sa dibdib niya hanggang sa makarating sila sa guestroom. He laid down Macey before helping her out. Her head resting on he headboard, clutching her chest.

It's been so long since he panicked.

It's been so long since he got worried.

To a friend.

He's denying the idea, but he knows to himself. Macey is already able to destroy his walls, but as much as he could, he would never let her do that.

Promises are promises.

Til death.

A promise is a promise.

He promised Maxine everything.

He's a man of word, and he knows that. He had no plans of breaking his words.

Macey can't. Never.

He accepted her to his life because Macey is Macey. A stubborn woman...a noisy and wicked. But that's it. Hanggang pagkakaibigan lang ang kaya niyang ibigay sa dalaga.

But he's living with doubts.

He needs more time.

When Macey was finally calm, he handed her a glass of water, and turned on the aircon for her comfort. Her breathing became even. Macey fully laid down on the bed, and he was just watching her doing her thing. Siya na ang nagtanggal ng sapatos nito.