chapter 29

Realization

He couldn't sleep. And it's past midnight already.
Feeling choked up in his spacious room, Damon got up and opened doors of his balcony which resulted in fresh breeze engulfing him and fanning his face. He sighed and looked up seeing the stars scattered up above in the sky. It was beautiful.

This was where she would always sit watching the sunset, this was where she would always sit at night gazing at the stars with hot chocolate in her hands warming her up from the cold weather. He always thought it was what joblessness caused. How much did he know. . . he thought.

He was so restless seeing that his beloved was just floors and rooms away in pain and he couldn't do anything. He never felt so useless in his entire life.

He sat on one of the chairs and sighed deeply closing his eyes. Just one... Just One moment she had been happy after their marriage apart from their honeymoon but he could find none. He didn't even know if she was happy or not in their marriage.
He has been such a terrible husband to a loving wife. He buried himself in the office when they came back from their honeymoon claiming he has missed out on a lot of work and not once did she ever complain.

He always saw her yearning for his attention but he didn't even give that a second glance because he thought once work was over, he'll come back to her. Was work ever over?
She'd always pack his breakfast and lunch, she'd call while he was in the office to check up on him and ask him if he had lunch. She did all she could to get him back home but he ignored all of that.

How could he not have seen it.

The only time they got intimate was during their honeymoon and that was it.
He couldn't believe what he'd done. Couldn't believe he had been living in ignorance all the times they were married.

And yet, she smiled. She tried her best to be happy even though she was not. She smiled while pecking him on his cheeks when he rushed to work, she smiled when she serves him dinner and that's if he ever comes back on time, she still smiled when she was lonely. But those smiles were wiped away. Replaced with sadness.
Everyone thought she was happy because she never breathed a word to anyone of the torture she faced from the monster he was.

Was she ever happy?

She wasn't happy but she tried to make others happy. She's such an angel.
But he broke her. He broke her wings and now she's unable to fly.

He wondered. How did she endure all the torture when the one she loved turned into a torturous monster?
A monster who gave her hell during the day and tortured her at night. How?
He was never violent. He was never a monster, but how could he bring himself to hurt an innocent person. That too his wife!

He groaned as he rubbed his aching temples. The ache in his head now violently throbbing.

He knows he's stupid. He knows he's a billionaire and many anticipated his downfall.
How on earth could he not see that coming. How on earth did he not confront his lonely wife about those pictures before taking actions.

He knew all his actions are not going to be easily forgotten. He knows they won't just be swept under the carpet. No matter how badly he wants his wife back, he'd have to warm his way into her heart and amend the broken pieces.

But he has fears.

He's scared.

He's scared she won't let him in. He knows he had cut her deep. To deep. He knows he had if not still turning her dreams into nightmares. He had robbed her of her self esteem.
He doesn't even know what to do. She would never forgive him. She would show him no mercy.
The Avery he sees now is a strong lady whose eyes which held emotions before lacked warmth now. They are empty.

Surely, the tables have turned now. He's the one to grovel and pled for mercy. She's his redemption.

He rubbed his face tiredly and wished everything and every problem would just go away.

His phone pinged. It was a message, from his personal assistant. He had work to do and so he did the only reasonable thing in his mind.
He grabbed his laptop and all necessary files and went to the floor where Avery was. He didn't know what to do.

He just opened the door slowly and walked inside carefully so as to not wake her up.
That was the only thing that would enable him to work. Her presence.
Without it he'd literary be driving himself mad.

Short update, I know. I'm sorry

Thank you for helping comments! I love u💜