Healing?

It's been a month since Sam broke up with Colby and Sam seems to be moving on. Colby has been spending a lot of time with Brennan, but he is still in love with Sam. It hurts him to see Sam, especially to see him moving on so he spends as much time away from the house as possible. The roommates have noticed but Colby is never there for them to talk to.

Sam's POV

Colby has been spending a lot of time away from the house. Part of me does miss him and feels bad for hurting him. I want to talk to him, but he is never here. I miss my best friend and I wish he would talk to me. Every time I walk into a room that he is in, he runs out before I can say anything. It breaks my heart to see him this way, but I don't know what to do. He won't talk to me or even look at me. I don't know what to do. I hope he knows that I still care about him.

Colby's POV

I can't even look at Sam, much less talk to him. I can't even be in the same room as him without wanting to burst into tears. I'm hurting so much and I don't even know if he cares at all. He was my rock and now he's gone. I don't know how to go on. If I didn't have Brennan to talk to, I don't know if I would be here. When I'm not with Brennan, my thoughts threaten to consume me. The pain of losing Sam is nearly unbearable.

Two Months Later

Colby is still hurting but is better at hiding it. Sam has met someone named Katrina and Colby thinks that they might be dating.

Sam's POV

I met a girl named Katrina. She is honestly wonderful, a great friend. We spend a lot of time together and I feel myself starting to heal from the damage that happened with Colby. I still miss Colby, but Kat makes it a little more bearable. Colby is still spending time with Brennan, more than before. Now that Kat is around, I have noticed that he is spending more time there, sleeping over there most nights.

Colby's POV

Sam has a new person in his life, Katrina. I can't stand being around them so I spend most of my time at Brennan's. I sleep there most nights so I can avoid Sam and Katrina. Brennan doesn't really ask questions, doesn't pry into why I don't want to be at the trap house. A few weeks after I started staying at Brennan's, Corey shows up.

"Hi, Colby," Corey says.

"Hi," I say.

"I want to talk to you," he says.

"About what?" I ask, feeling nervous. 

He looks at Brennan and Brennan leaves us to talk.

"You and Sam," he says.

I feel a surge of anger, "What about it?!"

"I know you're not okay, Colby. You haven't been since Sam-"

"I don't want to talk about that..." I mumble.

"Colby, you need to," Corey says.

"Please, don't make me," I say. I start to tear up. "Please, I can't talk about it. It hurts too much, especially since Katrina came into the picture..."

"You still love him don't you?"

"Yes..." I start to cry then.

"Colby, I'm sorry. I know you didn't want to talk about this. But you can't bottle this up."

"I know..." I mumble. "But it's not the same. Sam was always the person I could count on, the person I could always talk to... But now I can't..."

"Colby, I know it's hard. But you will get through this and you can always talk to me and Jake. You have us." I don't answer so he continues, "Come back, we'll be there for you."

Brennan walks back in then, "He's right, you should go home. You need them."

"I need you too, Brennan," I say.

"Don't worry Colbs. I promise I'll still be here for you," he says.

"Okay," I say.

I go to the guest room to collect the things that I have left here. I walk back out with a bag and see Corey waiting there for me. I say goodbye to Brennan and go to my car and drive back to the house, following Corey.

Sam's POV

I hear the front door open and see Corey walk in followed by Colby. This is the first time I've seen Colby in a while. He looks awful, I feel my heart break just looking at him. He looks at me and Kat on the couch, not saying anything. Our eyes meet and I stand up to walk towards him. He breaks eye contact and walks upstairs. I sit back down.

So much for that.

Katrina grabs my hand and says, "Go. Talk to him."

I nod and head upstairs to his room. I reach his door and knock.

I hear a weak "Come in."

I open the door to see Colby laying on his bed with the light off. I turn the light on.

"Sam?"

"Hi, Colbs."

"What do you want?" he says, harshly.

"I want to talk," I say.

"Don't bother. I don't want to hear it," he says.

"Colby, I know I hurt you, but please just talk to me."

"You have Katrina! What do you need me for?!"

"Colby-"

"You got over me right away. I'm barely hanging on right now and it's all because of you. Just leave!" he yells.

"Colbs-"

"Don't call me that!"

"Colby, I'm sorry. I thought it was best for us..."

"Yeah?! Best for who Sam?"

Colby's POV

"I'm sorry... this was a mistake..." he says, clearly upset.

"Sam, I-"

"Let's just forget this happened? Okay?" he says.

Then he leaves the room. I feel my heart breaking even more than it already is. I burst into tears, not able to keep it in anymore. I know Sam could probably hear me but he didn't come in again. I feel even worse than I did before. Then a knock sounds on my door again.

"Go away," I say. Whoever it is, ignores me and comes in anyway. It's Katrina. Great, just what I need. "What do you want?"

"Sam did want to talk to you. He misses you. He loves you," she says.

"No, he doesn't. He loves you," I say.

"What? Sam and I are just friends," she says.

"Please don't lie to me..."

"I'm not, Sam and I aren't together. He really does miss you. He talks about it," she says. I don't say anything. "He regrets the breakup."

"He told you that?"

"No, but I know he does," she says. "You should talk to him," she says as she leaves my room, closing my door behind her.

Does Sam really miss me and love me even still? I don't want to believe it because I don't want to get my heart broken even more.