The Beach

I sit down on the beach and remember the first time I was here with Sam.

Flashback

Sam and I arrive at the beach after our date. He pulls a blanket out of his backpack and lays it down on the sand. We sit down on the blanket and he pulls me close to him. I cuddle up to his side. I lay my head down on his shoulder and he kisses my forehead. I sit up and turn to face him. I sit on his lap and wrap my arms around his neck. I smile at him as he pulls me closer. I lean in and kiss him. He kisses me back, deepening it. I push him back onto the blanket and continue to kiss him. We spend the rest of the evening kissing and talking. It was a perfect night.

Flashback over

I sighed my eyes filling with tears. I don't think it will ever be that again. We are fighting and I feel that he is pushing me. He wants to go too fast and I can't take it. I'm not ready for all of this.

My phone dings. I look at the text. It's Sam.

S: Colby, where are you? I'm worried.

C: I'm fine.

S: that doesn't answer my question.

C: It doesn't matter where I am.

S: It does to me...

S: Colby, please. I want to talk to you.

C: no, you just want to date me. And it's too fast.

S: Colby, that's not true. I want to fix things. That doesn't mean that I only want to date you.

S: I'm sorry if I pushed you.

S: Colby?

C: Yeah?

S: I'm sorry.

C: I know.

S: Please forgive me.

C: I do. But I don't want to fight again.

S: Neither do I.

C: it seems to be all we do lately.

S: maybe...

C: Maybe what?

S: Maybe we should work on being friends first. Repair that first.

C: I don't know Sam. Can we even be friends if we're in love?

C: Sam?

"I'm here," a voice sounds from behind me.

I turn around and see Sam standing there.

"How did you know where I'd be?" I ask.

"It's where you went last time we fought," he says.

"Oh, yeah."

"Look, I know there's a lot of memories here. But I'm here to show you that I care about you. And I want to make things right. So, let's start as friends okay?"

"Sam, I love you. I don't know if I can be just friends with you."

"I love you too, Colby. So don't think of it as just friends, think of it as a promise. My promise to you that I will never leave you and that I'm willing to try anything if it will bring us back to who we used to be. Just let me try."

I start to cry, and he hugs me. I pull away from the hug.

"That was so sweet, Sam," I say.

"So will you give it a chance?"

"Yes I will," I say.

He hugs me again. We sit on the beach together for at least an hour before Sam gets a text.

Sam's POV

I'm sitting on the beach with Colby when I get a text.

Corey: Hey Sam. Is Colby with you?

S: Yes, he is. We'll be home soon.

C: Okay. Have fun.

I feel Colby's head drop onto my shoulder.

"Colby?" I ask.

"Hmm, yeah?"

"We should head home," I say.

"Okay," he says, yawning. We walk to his car. "Where's your car?"

"Kat dropped me off," I say. "Let's go, I'll drive."

He gives me his keys and I get in the driver's seat. I start to drive us home. He falls asleep as soon as we get into the car. When I stop at a red light, I look over at him and smile. He's so cute when he is sleeping. We arrive home ten minutes later. I shake Colby awake and he groans.

"Carry me?" he says.

I chuckle and pick him up. He falls asleep at once and curls up to me. I carry him upstairs and lay him down on his bed. I grab a blanket and place it over him. I close his door and head to my room.

Colby's POV

I wake up in my room and no Sam to be found. He must have carried me up here. He is always so sweet. Even though we fought, he still clearly cares about me. I fall asleep with a smile on my face. I wake up the next morning when my phone goes off.

S: Hey, I made breakfast if you want it.

C: Thanks, I'll be right down.

S: Okay.

I walk downstairs to see Sam setting a plate for me. I smile and sit down. I start to eat as he watches me.

"What's up Sammy?"

"You're eating," he says.

"Oh, yeah. It took some time, but I can eat a full meal most of the time."

"That's great Colbs."

He sits down next to me with a plate of his own. We sit in silence while we eat. It's nice to be able to sit with him like we could do before all this happened. It feels... normal.

"What are you thinking about?" he asks.

"About how this is nice," I respond.

He smiles, "it is."

I smile back at him.