Horrific Dreams

This weekend at White-Water Rafting was something I'll never forget. I did exciting things I'd tell my grandchildren about. Sunday which was the last day, we took group selfies from my phone and Mom picked us up. She got me and Zack signed up for Drivers Ed class. I'm thankful because I will get my dream car due to good grades and best attitude...sometimes. We settled and changed for the night. I'm hopeful to not have anymore nightmares about my past. I can't escape it because why? I haven't told Zack or William? Or the gang? Mom always told me I should be honest with myself and everyone. Music is the cure whenever I'm having these dark thoughts. I took a shower before changing to my pjs. I sat on my bed and pulled out my songbook. The bookmark marked the page I was writing in. I opened the page and the written lyrics about my secret was there. I took a deep breath and wrapped my hair in a bun. I laid against the headboard with the book on my hands. I reread the words that stuck in my brain.

Something's gotta give
Something's gotta break
All I do is give
And all you do is take

Something's gotta change
But I know that it won't
No reason to stay
Is a good reason to go

I had never heard a silence quite so loud
I walk in the room and you don't make a sound
You're good at making me feel small
If it doesn't hurt me, why do I still cry?
If it didn't kill me, then I'm half-alive?

Tears almost formed in my eyes. I sighed and put the book on my nightstand. I turned off the nightlight and drifted off to sleep. My old family left nothing but a hole in my heart. I thought they loved me. I thought they cared. Guess nobody's parents of the year because there's problems. My life became so much better once a real loving family took me in. Somehow I could never escape the horrors my birth father left behind. I began moving sideways repeatedly and covered my face. "Please stop! Please stop!" I cried. That's when the nightmare took its toll.

"COME HERE!" Dad yelled. Tears were stained on my face as I ran upstairs. He was very drunk and chased me. All that's in my mind is if I'm gonna survive. He grabbed my leg harshly, dragging me downstairs. "LEAVE ME ALONE! PLEASE!" I cried/yelled. Pain inflicted my body as more tears fell. He pulled me up and punched me. I hit the ground with a thud. "Don't you ever talk to me like that, bitch! You hear me?!" He growled angrily. I couldn't see my eye but I could tell I earned a black one. This made me shed more tears. Suddenly, a shot was fired. I quickly got up and walked in the living room. Mom's body laid in the floor surrounded with blood. Dad laughed evilly. "It's just a little blood, sweetheart." He said. I covered my mouth in shock. Tears officially made my eyes blurry. "Why did you do this to me?! To us?!" I growled. All I heard was a harsh slap and everything went black.

****end of dream****

I soon felt someone shaking me. "No, leave me alone. Leave me alone." I cried in my sleep. "Bella, wake up. It's me Zack!" He said. I finally opened my eyes. I wiped them due to the downing of tears. He hugged me tightly. I hugged back. "You're here." I said softly. He sighed. "Of course. I'm always here." He whispered. We parted. He wiped another tear with his finger. "What happened? Are you ok?" He asked worriedly. I rubbed my hair and slowly nodded. Zack did nothing but kiss my forehead and rubbed my arms. It made me feel extra warm. My eyes were much red puffy. "Do you want anything?" He asked. I sighed sadly. "Just hot chocolate." I told him. He smirked. "With marshmallows?" He asked. I chuckled. "Duh!" I said. He nodded and left the room. It reminded me when we used mom's coffee machine to make hot chocolate or coffee. We'd put marshmallows and cinnamon to make a frappe. The best part; it's added with pancakes and eggs. The happy memory made me giggle and smile. A light flickered on outside my room. I watch confusedly till I heard Mom talking to Zack. "She had a nightmare so I'm bringing her hot chocolate." He told her. "Aww ok. Make sure she's alright." Mom said. "K!" He said. He came back with a coffee mug. "Here's your hot chocolate." He said, smiling. I giggled and took the cup. "Thanks." I muttered. He wrapped my blankets around me and rubbed my arms softly. I immediately felt relaxed and calm. This was the nightly routine whenever I'm having these nightmares. I cleared my throat. "Zack?" I said. "Yeah?" He said. "Please stay." I muttered. He scoffed and hugged me softly. "I'll always stay if you need me." He said. I scooted over and he laid beside me and wrapped the blankets on him. I sipped my drink and tasted the marshmallows with cinnamon. Zack smiled. "We should definitely make those again." He said. I laughed. "I know." I said. I set the drink on the nightstand and got under the blankets. I finally fell into a peaceful slumber. Zack rubbed my back comfortably. He kissed my forehead. "Sleep tight." He whispered in my ear before falling asleep.

*****

School was starting the next morning. We rolled out of bed and got prepared. I'm relieved of nightmare from last night. Me and Zack texted the gang on groupchat. We ran downstairs and walked in the kitchen. He wrapped his arm around me. "You good Belele?" He asked, smiling. He'd always make sure I'm alright and well protected. That's what makes us closer. I smiled and wrapped my arm around his neck. "Good? I'm lit, Z!" I joked. We laughed and grabbed breakfast to eat. "I'm so glad we're taking Drivers Ed." I said. He nodded in agreement. "Soon we'll be driving Ferraris and Rovers." He said, smirking. We almost stared into the dreamworld. I snapped out of my thoughts when our phones buzzed. Paola's mom is picking us up. "Let's go!" He quickly said. We grabbed our backpacks and opened the door. Actually, she's picking up Zack. I smiled. "William's picking me up actually." I told him. He fake smiled. "Maybe I should go with you. Just the three of us." He said. I playfully rolled my eyes and walked out. He followed behind as we got in his car in the driveway.