Check Your Mate

A few weeks gone by and Zack's knee was healed. They handed him crutches so he could go wherever he wants. Mom, Dad and me pitched in to aid him if he needs anything. William and I went on a few dates and they're truly beautiful. He planned to take me on a boyfriend-girlfriend honeymoon in the summer. This would happen for marriage but it's only boyfriend and girlfriend tradition. Me and Paola's friendship is alright again since our fight about Jack. I understand she's never been in love before and she's happy. The gang visited Zack to check on him during his recovery. Overall, he can walk on two legs and continue school. We're already there to watch Bayside vs. Valley chess teams. Screech is our chess champion and if it weren't for his game ability, we'd be an embarrassing stock. Jessie and Zack were in commentary on the semi-finals. I waited backstage with Lisa and Kelly. We wore our cheer uniforms to cheer for Bayside's chess team. I took a deep breath. Lisa raised an eyebrow. "Bels, chill. We're not at the Teen Choice awards!" She said, giggling. I smiled innocently. "No. It feels good having to show off my hips in a tight skirt." I said sarcastically. Kelly playfully rolled her eyes and smiled. "Cmon, let's do this!" She cheered. I looked and saw Violet beside Screech. So cute! If you're confused, she's his girlfriend. Our cue came and we came out to perform our routine. I moved my feet to the beat and ended with my arms in the air with Pom Poms. "Bayside is the winning team! Yay!" We jumped and cheered. We finished, coming down the steps and stood beside the small audience. Valley had their audience across from ours. Slater waved at me. I returned the gesture. "Ok, chess freaks! Another thrilling match is about to begin!" Zack announced. Slater got up from his chair. "Go Screech! Flatten this king!" He shouted. Everyone shushed him as he awkwardly sat down. We quietly walked up to him for a whispering cheer. "Quiet down, concentrate. Cmon Screech, think checkmate." We whispered in unison and returned to our spot. I giggled. "Wow." I muttered, knowing what we just did. Kelly shrugged and shook a Pom. Screech placed his block on his opponent's area and pressed the clock. "Checkmate!" He said. We all cheered and congratulated him. I patted his shoulder, smiling. "And the game is over! Screech wins the semi-finals and goes on to the championship against Valley!" Zack added. Franklin gave Screech a piece of paper. "Will you autograph my program? If you beat Valley next week, you'll be famous!" He said, happily. He signed it and more people motioned for autographs.

After the game, I showered and changed out of my cheer uniform. The girls were doing the same but changing. "Screech did great today." She said. I nodded in agreement. "Yup! Who would not be so good at chess?" I joked. She smirked and nudged my arm. I looked at her confusedly. "Have you seen William? He wasn't there today." I asked. Kelly smiled sheepishly. "He stayed at home to help our little sister Nikki. She's really sick right now." She told me. Aww, I had no idea. I smiled warmly. "That's so sweet! I could've helped and not show up at a chess tournament." I said, rolling my eyes. They laughed, walking out of the room. I followed behind and took my bag. We found the guys near Zack's locker. He punched a locker in frustration. Kelly smirked. "Careful that's school property." She joked. "What's the matter with him?" Jessie asked softly. Slater smirked. "Some babe dogged him for Screech." He told her. A skinny-blonde girl with a pink outfit was beside Screech's locker. He opened it and the inside was very messy. Her eyes widened. "Wow, that's an awfully messy locker! For someone with a mind that's neat as yours?" She teased, touching his chest. "Well that's because I'm a slob." He answered. She giggled. "Not only you're brilliant and handsome but you have a sense of humor too." She flirted. Eek! Screech is smart but did this girl get hit by a shoe? "Oh my..." Lisa trailed off, hitting her head on the lockers. Slater rubbed her shoulder in comfort. "Why don't you let me take you out for lunch? We can do the interview there." The blondie asked. Screech shrugged. "Well ok, I'll meet you at the Max at noon?" He said. She smirked flirtatiously. "I'll be looking forward to it." She said. He closed his locker and walked off. We watched in complete shock. "This can't be happening." I muttered. "Does Violet know about this?" Kelly asked. Jessie sighed. "She will soon enough." She said. The bell rang for the next class period. We said goodbye and I took off with the girls. If Violet finds out, she'll be very heartbroken and it counts Screech as a slob.