Pipe Dreams

Thanks to blonde ambition, I was grounded for the whole weekend. Mom only let the girls visit me. Kelly needed girls night after another breakup. I'm just glad she's much better now. Morning rose for school and I did my morning routine and showered. Zack brushed his hair in the bathroom while I got dressed. Today will be nice because something beautiful will blossom. It sounds odd but I feel it in my gut. I ruffled my hair and applied makeup. Zack stopped by my doorway, groaning softly. I looked at him confusedly. "What?" I asked. He huffed. "Can you hurry up? School remember?" He asked. I playfully rolled my eyes. "Relax blondie. I'm not the one using too much gel for my hair." I joked. He rolled his eyes and walked out. I grabbed my backpack and followed him downstairs. In the kitchen, our parents were chatting and laughing. Usually we see Mom in the mornings because Dad leaves early. It's kinda weird but I'm glad to see them both before I go to school. They saw us and smiled. "Good morning kids!" They said in unison. I returned the gesture. "Morning, mom and dad." I said. Zack fake smiled and pulled out a cereal box. "Morning." He said. Mom hummed in response. "Somebody's a little grumpy today." She teased. Dad nodded in agreement. "Hm, he's probably hungry." He whispered to her. Usually that's what I get when I'm hungry but Zack? No. He continued making himself breakfast while I excused me from their conversation. "Maybe you are grumpy hungry." I joked. Zack huffed. "I'm fine Bella." He muttered. I shrugged. "What's wrong? Mom and Dad are having mornings together like they used to." I said. He scoffed. "Yeah. Used to." He mumbled. Zack has always been upset about Dad putting work first before us and Mom. It gets awfully sad during the holidays. That's why we'd spend Christmas with our friends or cousins. Him being a sourpuss now is completely understandable. I smiled sadly. "Look, at least it's off to a fresh start. Look at them." I said. His attention turned to them laughing while drinking wine. It was pretty nice after not seeing most of them sometimes. We finished eating cereal before getting our backpacks. Dad smiled, fixing his tie. "Alright. Gotta head to work." He said. I kissed his cheek. "Bye Dad!" I said. He returned the gesture. "Bye sweetheart, bye Zack." He said. He sighed and walked off. So much for a nice morning. Mom patted his shoulder. "He'll warm up honey. Go ahead, you can't be late." She said. Dad frowned and walked pass me. I followed behind to the driveway. Why can't Zack see he's trying a bit? Guess it is hard to forgive when he didn't try before.

Me and William were in our biology class with the gang while Zack's on the football field today. We were learning about ocean animals in one fish tank. I stand next to Jessie, admiring the cute little things. "This semester in biology we shall study the ecology of the pond." Dr. Phelps said. Slater looked at the tank confusedly. "Uh, Dr. Phelps where did all these animals come from?" He asked. "These creatures are visiting from the pond right behind the football field. Now to them, this is a field trip." He slightly joked. I giggled. "They're so cute!" I said. William looked at me in awe and wrapped his arm around my waist. "Oh, doesn't it bother them to be moved from their natural habitat?" Kelly asked. Lisa scoffed. "Get real Kelly. Who would miss sitting in stagnant water all day?" She sassed. Screech put his hand up. "I would." He said softly. William chuckled. "All right, let's get to know our pond pals a little better, shall we?" Dr. Phelps said. Screech got off the desk, running to the tank. "Dr. Phelps, can I hold a frog?" He asked excitedly. I laughed and playfully raised my hand. "Can I too?" I asked. "Don't let him, he'll give it a wart." Lisa joked. Dr. Phelps chuckled. "That's a misconception. Frogs do not give warts." He mentioned. He went in the tank and pulled out the little turtle. "Now then Ms. Turtle, how about holding this turtle?" He asked, putting it in her hands. Lisa looked at it disgustedly. "Uh, I...I can't. It's slimy!" She whined. I rolled my eyes. Kelly grabbed the turtle from her hands. "Oh I'll hold it, it's cute." She said, chuckling. William smirked. "What. A. Softy." He muttered. She raised an eyebrow. "Heard that!" She sassed. I chuckled. My attention was thrown on Zack who walked in holding a big duck. Honestly, I remembered one duck biting my finger when we were younger. It doesn't mean I'm afraid of ducks though. "Dr. Phelps, Dr. Phelps I'm sorry I'm late but I think this duck is hurt." He said. Everyone crowded around him in order to see the duck. "What happened Zack?" He asked. "Well, we were playing baseball last period and I hit one over the fence. I found one next to the duck." He explained. Dr. Phelps carefully took the duck off his arms. "Oh, I guess he got hit by the ball." Slater added. "Yeah." William agreed. Dr. Phelps examined it for a minute. "Oh, she'll be ok. She's just a little dazed." He told him. I smiled and crossed my arms. "It's a her?" I asked. He responded with mmhm. Zack hummed in response. "Why don't you pet her Bella?" He teased. So sweet how he picks the right time to tease me about my duck-incident. I fake smiled. "Why don't you pet it Zack? Don't let the hair gel get into her eyes." I said sarcastically. Slater chuckled. Jessie ignored our joking and huffed. "Hit by a ball. Typical. That's what happens when man encroaches upon an animal's domain." She said. I playfully rolled my eyes. "Here we go." I muttered. Zack turned away from the duck. "Jessie, it was an accident. Not a case for L.A law." He said annoyedly. Dr. Phelps still held the duck with his hands carefully. "Aw, this duck will be fine. We'll observe her and then we'll return her and the other animals to the pond where we can study them in their natural surroundings." He said. I smiled warmly. Pets is what I wished we had in our house. Like a puppy to make me smile whenever I'm unhappy sometimes. A cute little fluffy friend to make my day. Dad couldn't get us one because of his work schedules and us being away from home due to school. Zack got off the desk. "Alright. It's Friday sir, I mean no one's gonna be here for the weekend. Can I take her home?" He asked. Fireworks erupted inside my brain. Yay! Finally we're taking a pet home! I smiled widely, wrapping arm around his neck. "Can we take her home?" I corrected. Zack chuckled. "All right guys. Sounds like a good idea." Dr. Phelps said, giving her to him. I cheered happily. "Yay! We got a pet!" I cheered. Everyone laughed including Dr. Phelps. He smiled. "Hey little lady, I'm sorry I hit you in the head with a ball." He said. I returned the gesture and rubbed its fur as she squawked. "Can't wait to see you home." I whispered.