The Real You

Mom returned earlier and me and Zack bragged about both our mess. She couldn't believe I invited William when nobody was home. But Zack's mess was worse. Disguising himself as a Russian student, betting off Screech and gambling. There's no telling what would Dad say after work. We flunked ourselves on the couch as she walked upstairs to change. I growled at Zack. "I can't believe you did that." I said. He scoffed and growled. "Can't believe you sold me out." He mocked. I scoffed. Sold him out? I'm always the one covering up his crap so he wouldn't get expelled or end up in summer school. "Really? I'm always saving your ass even when you get suspended. If it weren't for me, you'd lost your girlfriend over being irresponsible to watch her baby brother! Besides you gambled off of Screech's success so you could become Richie Rich. This time I'm not covering for your crappy games anymore." I growled. His eyes widened. He crossed his arms and turned away. "You didn't act like this when we were younger." I said, getting off the couch and heading upstairs.

I came to my bedroom and slammed the door. Everything I said is true. Zack wasn't like this at all when we were very young. He was this person that left as soon as we grew maturity. If only the gang and everyone knew. I know Screech did but he never mentioned it. Memories flooded my brain. The memories of the real Zack Morris you never met.

My eight year old self giggled as I played wrestling with Zack. He smirked, dropping me on the bed John Cena style. I laughed. "And the crowd goes wild!" He screamed. I rolled out of bed and yawned. "Uh oh. Somebody's tired." He joked. I stuck my tongue out. "No, I'm not." I said. Zack scoffed. "Yes you are. I know you are." He said, rubbing my hair. We've been wrestling for a whole two hours. It's clear I am sleepy. I walked out of my room and came back with my stuffed animal puppy. He helped set up my bed. I climbed as he covered me with blankets. He rubbed my hair, kissing my forehead. "Goodnight." He whispered softly. He almost left till I spoke. "Wait! Can you sing a song? Please!" I begged. Zack playfully rolled his eyes and smiled. "Cmon, Bels." He said. I gave him goo goo eyes which seem to always work. He sighed, getting under the blankets beside me. "What song?" He asked. I smirked. "Sing Michael Jackson." I joked. (😉)We chuckled. He cleared his throat and readied himself. "Another day has gone, I'm still alone. How could this be? You're not here with me. You never said goodbye, someone tell me why. Did you have to go? And leave my world so cold? Every I sit and ask myself, how did love slip away? Something whispers in my ear and says that you are not alone. I am here with you. Though you're far away, I am here to stay. You are not alone. I am here with you, though we're far apart you're always in my heart. You are not alone." He sung beautifully. My eyes closed and I fell in a deep slumber. He smiled, drifting off to sleep.

*****

Our parents called people to fix our basement floor. It took time during the morning. Me and Zack had to only play in the dining room because we couldn't walk through the hallway. We watched Disney channel and jumped around the room. He hopped a few times on the couch. I danced to music they played in commercials. "Whoo hoo!" Zack cheered, getting off the couch. I giggled and couldn't stop dancing. He raised an eyebrow. "You are quite the dancer, sis." He told me. "Watch this!" I said. I took steps back and cartwheeled across the room. He applauded and cheered. "Good job! That was awesome!" He said. I giggled and bowed. "Let me try." He said. I nodded and got out the way. He grabbed a pillow and dropped it on the floor. I was confused till he cartwheeled and landed on the pillow. We laughed, cheering again. "This is the best ever!" I cheered happily. "Whoo hoo!" Zack yelled.

*****

This Christmas, we got two skateboards since we loved to skate. Mine was pink with Barbie on the back, his was blue with Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles on the front. We don't have snow in California but it got a little cold. We wore comfy coats and walked to the sidewalk. Dad was beside me. Mom was recording from our family camera she named. "Here's our little angels about to skateboard with daddy." She said. Dad helped us put on helmets and knee pads. "Ok, you ready?" He asked, smiling. We nodded and returned the gesture. I carefully got on the board and Zack did the same. "Hold my hand." He told us. We held both his hands and started to move around the driveway. He explained how to steer with our feet to control our balance. "Am I gonna fall?" I asked softly. Zack nodded his head no. "You won't. I'm right here, Bels. Take my hand." He assured. I grabbed his hand and cautiously put my right foot off the board for the steering. We readied ourselves and smiled. "Ready? Get set...Go!" Mom said. We began moving around by one foot. I was beginning to feel happy. The ride was so much fun. I cheered. "Yay!" I squealed. Zack cheered with his arms in the air. "I love this!" He said. Dad laughed and clapped. "Great job!" He said. Mom smiled proudly. "Amazing!" She cheered, filming us riding together. I swerved and resulted in me twisting my ankle and falling off. I fell on my stomach thanks to my helmet safety. Tears fell from my eyes. I groaned in pain. Dad and Zack quickly rushed to my rescue. "Are you ok, sweetheart?" He asked worriedly. I got up but stayed down because of my ankle. "My ankle hurts!" I cried. Zack wrapped his arm around me. "It's ok, Bella. You'll be alright. Right dad?" He said. He nodded in agreement and carried me in his arms. Mom stopped recording as we went back inside. Zack's arm never left my neck.