chapter 31 (colby's pov)

colby: "i am, my friends are over there." i pointed to my trembling group of friends. me, too.
nurse: "okay..." she sighed, "she's out of surgery, and she seems to be doing okay. we're going to keep her overnight, though, just to make sure her levels get back to normal," she frowned, "she lost a lot of blood..."
sam: "but she's going be okay?" he spoke from beside me. when did he get there?
the nurse nodded, "very." sam smiles at me, clasping my shoulder.
nurse: "she called for her boyfriend to be in there with her at this time..." she said, her eyes glancing between sam and i, waiting for one of us to speak up.
colby: "that's me." damn, that felt good to say.
nurse: "okay, follow me. your friends can come in later, she said she wants alone time with you." damn, that made my heart happy. i nodded and followed the nurse to emma's room while sam went and sat back down with the group. the nurse opened the door and let me in before closing it, leaving emma and i alone together. i walked over to emma and frowned when i saw her. she looks so sad...
colby: "knock knock." i spoke quietly, regarding her intently. she glanced up at me and a smile crept onto her face almost immediately.
emma: "hey, baby." she was quiet... and oh so gentle.
i walked over to her and she patted the seat next to her on the hospital bed.
emma: "i saved a spot just for you." she chuckled.
colby: "oh, i feel honored." i laughed, slipping in next to her. she giggled, intertwining her fingers with mine, and she looked at me, pressing her body closer against my own.
emma: "i know i've only known you for a week, but," she paused, "thank you for sticking by my side. i love you more than you could imagine and i'm so grateful for you and you being my boyfriend."
colby: "aw, you're going to make me cry." i poked my bottom lip out. she laughed a little and looked down at our entangled hands. i pulled her face to mine when she frowned because i didn't respond in the way she wanted me to.
colby: "i'll always be here for you, baby. i love you," i paused, whispering, "...and i'm grateful that i'm your boyfriend, too." i smiled cheekily like an idiot. she smiled, giggling at my comment and she leaned up to me, caressing lips swiftly with her own. i could never get tired of this... i could never get tired of her. her kisses, her hugs, her smile... i wish it was never ending. i pulled away, smiling, and i put my head in her chest while she played with my hair, careful of her wound on the opposing side. her and i conversed and i just keep learning new things about her. how she wants to be a writer, what she believes in, how she wishes that she could help every suffering kid in the world... she's amazing. the doctor walked in shortly after, ruining our conversation.
doctor: "ahh, so you're the boyfriend." he laughed.
emma and i laughed and i shifted so i could get out of the way.
doctor: "you don't have to get up, i just came to ask emma some questions for her records."
i nodded and he looked back over at emma as i moved closer to her, pressing against her.
doctor: "do you have a history with anxiety?"
she took a deep sigh and i felt her eyes on me.
emma: "yeah, i do." she said sadly.
doctor: "any reason?"
emma: "do i have to say it?" she glanced back at me.
doctor: "if he needs to leave the room, he can. but we need your background for your records." he was now
regarding her very intently.
she sighed and i grabbed her hand. she gripped it tight and we laced our fingers together, once again.
emma: "there's not one specific reason for it... there's a few." she sighed.
doctor: "please, state them."
she took a deep breath.
emma: "attempted suicide, pill and alcohol addiction, abusive ex-boyfriend, harassment, homelessness, and verbally abusive parents."
the doctor's eyes went wide as he wrote down all of the things she stated.
doctor: "i'm sorry you had to go through all of that." he said sadly.
emma: "don't be. but um... are we done here?" she asked anxiously.
doctor: "yes, ma'am. i'll be back in another hour or so."
she nodded and the doctor walked out.
emma: "i'll text you later tonight. go get some sleep." her voice broke. what? i know that something was wrong... she wouldn't just kick me out like that... would she?
colby: "talk to me, baby. i know when something's wrong..."
she sighed deeply.
emma: "i just didn't think i would ever have to bring that up again. it's just adding to the list of things about me that you should be disappointed about."
colby: "we don't have to talk about it, but i love you no matter what. nothing, and i mean nothing, will ever change that." i gazed up at her, seeing her smile weakly. i smiled and laid my head back down on her chest. she leaned down and playfully kissed all over my cheek. i giggled like a pubescent school-boy and tilted my head up to her as i caught her lips with mine. the kiss got more passionate and it was another three minutes in the record book, for sure. we always get so carried away that we forget where we are and who's in the room. luckily, it was only her and in the room as of right now. she pulled away and rested her forehead on mine.
emma: "another thank you for being the reason i've been smiling recently." she grinned.
colby: "right back at you, princess." i smiled back. she pecked my lips once more and leaned her head back against the hospital bed. she ran her cold, soft hands through my hair and she rubbed my back with those damn acrylic nails of hers. i have never appreciated them more than i did now.
colby: "do you want me to get the others?"
emma: "not really."
colby: "i'm not against it, but is there a reason?"
emma: "because i'm enjoying just you and i." she blushed. i reddened in the face in response and i usually don't ever turn red after the smallest verbal gesture, but i guess i do now. colby, you're going soft...
colby: "me, too." i smiled.
her and i talked for a while longer and before i knew it, the doctor had come in. has it really already been an hour?
doctor: "just checking on your vitals. how are you feeling?" he walked to the machine that was connected to emma's hands.
emma: "i'm feeling a little better."
doctor: "okay, we can get you pain meds if you decide you want them. other than that, your vitals look great."
she nodded and the doctor came up in front of her to check her iv's.
doctor: "your health is perfectly fine, but we're still going to keep you overnight, just to make sure you don't bleed again. how did you end up bleeding out? if you don't mind me asking..."
please don't say gunshot, please don't say gunshot...
emma: "my dumbass best friend jumped on me and she dug her elbow into a previous wound that i had. she didn't know that i was hurt."
doctor: "just make sure that she knows now." he said, half joking-half serious. we laughed and he walked out. was he not going to ask what the previous wound was?
emma: "you can text them to come in, if you want."
i pulled out my phone and texted sam the room number. they came in not even a minute later.
sam: "emma!" he said excitedly.
kat: "you have some explaining to do." she giggled, trying to sound playful, but we all know she wasn't kidding.
kevin: "jelly bean! i'm so glad you're okay."
elton: "hey, bean head!" he smiled.
emma: "hey guys." she said softly.
i looked up at her and she smiled at me. she leaned down and kissed my lips softly and i kissed back before she leaned back up to face everyone.
kat: "so, how did you get shot?" her face was angry and curious.
great, here comes the part where i get yelled at by katrina... and emma, too. oh, fuck me.